Thursday, November 8, 2012

Gratitude~Day 8

I am grateful for Blogging!
Sometimes I say it 'saved my life' and in a way it did.  Four years ago I was 'downsized' from my job only 3 months after buying a house with my boyfriend.  Not only did I not see it coming I was scared!  What would I do to support myself?  Could I find a job at age 59???  I just bought a house!!!  After a few months of sleeping, reading, watching TV and oh yes looking for a job, I knew I needed something to keep me busy.
I found blogging! 
It was pretty pathetic at first but did get better!
I already had a blog for family that I had posted on a couple of times and used it instead of starting a new blog, cause who knew four years later here I would be!!
This was the first photo I figured out how to post! 
Not surprising it was of Charlie as he was also the topic of my first public post!
I've come a long way baby! 
Then as I followed blogs and gained followers an amazing thing happened.  I made friends!  Lots of friends.  Friends with the same interests in junking and frugal living and Friends who loved to decorate and Friends who lived in the Atlanta area and Friends I will probably never meet. 
It was and remains amazing! 
So for some of you who might wonder how it all started that's my story!  I love blogging and it's opened up worlds and friends to me that I would miss if it all went away.  Oh and the name "A La Carte" just meant picking and choosing what I wanted in life! 
I never did find another job and after a few years I 'officially' retired.  I'm 62 now and eligible for Social Security!  I live a simple and frugal life style!  
Blogging has changed my life in a very good way and I'm very grateful for it 
and all of you!

Hugs,
Linda

23 comments:

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I enjoy blogging too, Linda.

Susan said...

Hi Sis, I agree, blogging feeds the soul and connects you to others you might not have ever met:-D I'm so happy the apron found you, XOXO

Sue said...

so you finally explained the name of your blog and I love it...It is so "You".....Blogging is the best thing that I have ever done....just for the people I have met...like you!! and although I don't have nearly as many people follow me and they do you it's still a wonderful feeling to find a comment when I wake up in the morning...I'm so happy we became friends...

Jane and Chris said...

I cannot work out of the home, and we are very isolated, so blogging is my way of having a coffee morning with blogfriends all over the world...including my fabulous Travelling Susan Apron sisters!
Jane xx

Kathe said...

I am grateful you starting blogging too Linda! You are a terrific mentor, role model and friend that I have never met :-) Fingers are crossed, I had a phone interview this afternoon for a job. At 54 I know how scared you felt!

Deb said...

I think you were one of my first followers, Linda. I thank you for that. Yes, blogging is fun and with time our blogs start to take on a life of their own. "Hi Charlie".

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's nice to know more about how you got started and I so agree with you! I have moved and started over in recent years and blogging has given me so many wonderful girlfriends. I just love visiting everyone and finding out how much I have in common with women that live all over the world. It's just the BEST!

Nellie said...

I like the name of your blog! Thanks for explaining it. Charlie is quite a good subject! It must have been a scary time when you lost your job.

Susan said...

Linda, I am so glad I met you! You have been so much support to me..
I have enjoyed all your post. I have to tell you I am very envious of you. That little Tiger is adorable!!

Susan said...

I'm grateful you found blogging, too, Linda. I agree with everything you said. Blogging adds a most incredible dimension to one's life. It's absolutely priceless.

Thanks for all your visits and comments! I appreciate them all. Susan

ImSoVintage said...

I am grateful for having you as a blogging friend and hopefully an in person friend when I move to Atlanta. I will be turning 62 in December, but it will be a long time before I can officially retire. I will be working for ever :)

Hugs,
Laura

Chatty Crone said...

Linda - I am glad you found blogging - because of that - we found each other and have developed a wonderful friendship. I am grateful for that.
sandie

Chatty Crone said...

Linda - I am glad you found blogging - because of that - we found each other and have developed a wonderful friendship. I am grateful for that.
sandie

20 North Ora said...

Linda - What a sweet blog. It's so good to hear what blogging has done for you! I am fairly new and really am looking forward to many new friends in blogland.

Judy

Gina said...

I'm glad I've met you through blogging! I enjoy your blog so much.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

I'm thankful for blogging too and the many friends I have because of it! That means YOU!
Warmly,
deb

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

It's fun to learn more about you, Linda! Blogging opens us up to much more than we imagined!

Vintage Christine said...

One of the many things I like about you is how diligent you are about commenting on our blogs AND on Facebook! It must take you all day just to do that!!! It has been a real pleasure getting to know you and I hope we can remain "bloggy friends" for a long time. And I WILL get over to see you (soon) one of these days since I just know there's costume jewelry over there calling my name! Bless you, sistah!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Well I'm so glad you started up your blog, Linda!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I'm also grateful for discovering the wide and wonderful world of blogging. Thanks Linda for sharing how your adventure began, you certainly have come a long way. Keep on doing exactly what you're doing:-)

the cape on the corner said...

what a great backstory! i'm so glad you found blogging and i agree, it has brought many friends that we probably won't ever meet, but a few (like you!) that i feel i know so well. it's such a funny thing!

Melanie said...

I'm a bit new to your blog and glad I found you. Interesting to read how you started!

Vonlipi said...

I am grateful for blogging too!

Because without blogging I would never have met you!

You are a great lady and a great friend even if we never meet.

Be well and continue to be grateful

Hugs

Valerie :)