Monday, June 10, 2013

How To Tablescape!

Do You Tablescape??
If your answer is, What is tablescaping?  Then you don't!
  But if you are a blogger and love setting beautiful often themed tables then you understand the addiction! 
Not long ago I decided I would share my process for tablescaping.

First is my inspiration.  Sometimes a tablecloth or a bunch of flowers. 
 For this table it was this plate..
It was also a challenge from Let's Dish for April
You can see the completed post HERE

So once I get my inspiration I usually go to the dish closet and play with plates!
These vintage plates are some of my favorites.  I love the green and the swirl edges make a nice addition to the plate stack.
Next decision, white or pink charger?
Wicker Charger, green place mat or pink place mat?
My decision is white charger plate and green place mat.  Why?  I like how it looks and I think it makes the inspiration plate pop.
 Napkins...I pull out four choices
All would 'work' but which one do I like the best?
I narrow it down to these two, but can't decide
I pull out the tray of napkin rings to see if that helps.  These two work and I have my decision!
The plaid napkin with the bird napkin ring
Are you tired yet?  
NEXT!!!!
I bring out my basket of colored flatware and pull five possibilities...which one do you like?
I choose the blue to tie in with the napkin
Luckily I knew which glass I was going to use with this setting or there would be several glasses and goblets pulled from the cabinet.
This blue and green goblet was perfect! 
So it was an easy decision.
Now on to the centerpiece!
I went pretty simple.  A potted plant, yellow bird and a LOVE sign!  
A few more birds to continue the theme
White Salt & Pepper shakers, a vintage yellow bird shaker at each place setting and a great napkin holder with a little bird weight! 
The finished tablescape! 

I hope you enjoyed this step by step post.
I love tablescaping and while it is work, it's also creative and fun.  I mostly use thrift shop and yard sale finds so it's not that expensive of a hobby either.  I hope you'll join me and try a tablescape sometime soon! 

I'm joining

Wishing you JOY,

Linda

33 comments:

Kathe said...

I love how you deconstructed the process Linda. Sometimes a table just comes together but more often, it takes a bit more work. I love all of your choices too :-)

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Thanks for the tablescape tutorial, Linda. I liked to see how you put it together after the inspiration!

Donna said...

What a pretty table setting, Linda! I love your sweet bird plates, and the napkin rings are just perfect. Wow, you have quite the stash, I wouldn't have room for it all!

Sarah said...

Pretty table, Linda and fun post. You know I'm addicted to pretty dishes and setting a pretty table. Thanks for sharing. Hope you had a terrific birthday! ~ Sarah

Melanie said...

So pretty, Linda! I don't do pretty tablescapes mainly because I have 3 naughty kitties that just love to jump up on the table if there's things on it - they're very curious. Of course, I want to keep them off the table, so I have to keep it pretty plain.

Sue said...

Well that was a fun post....step by step what we all do...I would have picked the yellow silverware :) what did we do before tablescaping??....we were all bored.
I have been playing with dishes for weeks now for Wednesdays lunch....then went on to the glass selection...no colored silverware...I have to work on that one....but the glasses....Oh the glasses will be very cool...bring your camera!!

Susan said...

Linda before I read about the napkin you chose, I had already thought the plaid would be the prettiest. I guess us Gemni's think a like eh?
Beautiful tablescape my friend.

Meggie said...

I can see how one might become addicted to tablescaping...I actually have black plates for Halloween.

Monica @ Texas Fiesta Ware Fan said...

I've sent pictures to some of my non-dish friends when I set a table. I never thought to create a post. Great idea.

Treatntrick Treat and Trick said...

Thanks for the inspiration and I love your creation!

Susan said...

I think this process is as important as the meal! Love your selections and eye for detail, XOXO

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Great post Linda! I always start with a tablecloth of course, and then gather what I have that looks best since I don't have so much flatware, glasses, etc. Thanks for showing us your terrific method!

Shelia said...

Hi Linda! Yes, I did enjoy your tute on the tablescape! I love your inspiration bowls. Hope your purging is going well.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love seeing the pretty vignettes but I rarely do a tablescape. I use white Corelle for every day! haha! I guess I could work with that! Enjoy your week my friend!

Jenny said...

I love your tablescaping!

You are soooo good at it!

You have such wonderful things to play with, too!

Happy belated Birthday!

Nellie said...

Very nicely done, Linda. Thanks so much! I DO love to set a pretty table and have my favorite pieces to use. It will be a difficult thing for you to "downsize" when you make your move. Hugs, Nellie

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

So pretty Linda, all your choices look so good together. If I had your collection of all the necessary ingredients, I'd give it a try. I think you'd be bored at my table with the plain white plates:-)

mrs. c said...

I think green is one of my favorite colors to use in my house which is kinda odd because to despise green. I think your tablescape instructions were perfect for the novice like me. See you tomorrow!

Donna said...

Reading your post brought a big smile! I love how you showed your tablescape from inspiration to completion. If I can get the dining room table emptied of projects, I'll make a tablescape just for the two of us for the Sabbath. Thanks for all your ideas!

mrs. c said...

oops...see you day after tomorrow! I am so excited to see you!

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

I love seeing how you 'play' with your table. What a lovely and fresh finish!

Kathleen said...

Lots of wonderful choices! Love the end result too. Happy belated bday, Linda, and good luck with the move. I have not been around blogland much, so I didn't know. Being close to Tiger is the best!

Diane said...

What a great method! I love both plates and the other pieces you chose are lovely!

Marlis said...

The Bahia glasses are the perfect choice with this table!!! I just love their wonderful green feet and blue bowls. I do love how you illustrated the process. The end result is very pretty. xo marlis

kitty said...

You shared some great ideas, Linda, on the steps to making choices for tablescapes. Your table turned out great!

Mary said...

Linda, I adore your watering can plates! Your blue & green goblets are perfect with your table!

Dawn@ We Call It Junkin.com said...

Great post, I love those plates. Both! The swirly green and the garden ones, too. Great inspiration for someone who doesn't know how to start. And great drooling-generator for those of us without much flatware yet ;) Take care! Dawn @ We Call It Junkin

Debra @ Homespun said...

Very nice tutorial! :)

Marigene said...

Linda, this is my favorite of any of your tables...those salad plates look like they were made for the green plates!
Have a great week...

Chatty Crone said...

I don't really table scape - but what little I do - I do because of you. You have taught me so much Linda. Love this step by step instruction.

Crystal Grandeur said...


Very pretty...everything looks so beautiful....inspiring and thank you...:):)

Art and Sand said...

1. I LOVE those green charger plates - what a great design!
2. Where do you find your colored utensils? I have colorful utensils on my project list. I am not having any luck finding any except the beautiful Sabre utensils. I have a set of 6 blue/yellow polka dot, but now a 1 piece set of 5 utensils is $90 - out of my range! I would love some colorful utensils like yours.

Dawn said...

Great tutorial and your color choices are beautiful. Thanks for sharing at the Cabin's Budget Decorating Party!