Monday, December 28, 2009

MY HEART IS FULL OF LOVE

Saturday started with a flurry of activity for me. I cleaned house, made sure the guest room was ready and that my meal plans were completed. I made a last minute trip to the grocery store for a few more items. Home Depot for one more gift and back home to wrap presents and start dinner.

Why all this activity you ask? My children were coming for dinner....now to many of you that may not seem like a big event, but for me it was. I've not had all my children over for a meal (and a Holiday meal at that) for a long time. Don't get me wrong I see my children often and I get together with all three of them on occasion, but a holiday meal at my home has not happened for several years. I set the table with care, planned a wonderful meal and the children arrived with hugs and kisses and all was well. Here is a photo of the table.


I have three children, two daughters and a son-in-law. I love all my kids so very much. They are great people and I'm so proud of them. Ashleigh brought wine and brownies (oh yum). We had ham, broccoli, corn casserole, rolls and olives (a must have for my youngest daughter). Most importantly we had love, laughter and friendship at this table.



So the two photos you see above, that's it folks! I was so in the 'moment' of this night that I did not take another photo. Those moments will forever be in my heart. After dinner, we went and opened presents and laughed and enjoyed. I had thrifted a good many of the gifts for Sara and Blake (my youngest daughter and her hubby) and they enjoyed those very much. A couple of Etsy gifts for Sara and a special 40 year old diamond necklace I passed down to her. She loved it. The necklace is so delicate and pretty just like my baby girl. It was given to me 40 years ago by a very special boy friend and it was perfect for Sara. It made my night when she told me thank you and whispered Mama this is so special.

Sara, Blake and Ashleigh all spoke about my Blog and how they are happy I have found an outlet for my creativity and a connection to others. Since losing my job I've been somewhat 'lost' and this has made a huge difference in my life. Sara and Blake gave me a book on Fiesta Ware to help me in my searches for more vintage items.

Ashleigh does not celebrate Christmas and we all respect her wishes. She did enjoy being with us and sharing our joy in gift giving. I give and receive gifts from Ashleigh through out the year and they are gifts of love but with no special 'forced' occasion and that works for us.

We laughed, talked about the future...Blake is working on his BA degree and doing well, a B+ average this last semester. Ash is getting her degree online while she continues her full time job. She works for Google and is one smart cookie. Sara has her Masters and is a speech pathologist working with deaf and hard of hearing children. Grandchildren were discussed but no set date for them yet, Blake must finish school. We discussed my loss of work and what the future might hold for me. They were very encouraging my children, and I know they are there for me if I need them. We reminisced about the past and growing up in a small South Georgia town. I watched my children interact as adults and while they often have little in common(they are as different as night and day) they have great love and respect for each other and find shared interests.

It was a night filled with love and pride for me. I see caring compassionate people who have grown into adults I'm proud of. I see the love my daughter and her husband have for each other, the friendship they have that will carry them through the rough times and the faith that is the core of it all. I see my oldest daughter and her growth as a woman and finding her own way in this world. She is one of the strongest people I know! I also feel the love of these three for me. So the best Christmas present in the world was Saturday night with my children. I am blessed!

Huggs...............Linda

18 comments:

Tara said...

You are blessed! Your post actually brought me to tears!!! My husband and I have struggled with infertility and your post just made me long for children more than I already do.

Diann said...

Hi Linda!

What a wonderful day you had! And your table looks so beautiful! I am so happy for you to have had your children with you for a wonderful meal! You deserve to have special days like this!

Hugs,'
Diann :)

Diann said...

Hey linda,
Me again...LOL

I looked around your blog and couldn't find an email for you. Whenever you get a chance, send me an email at thriftygroove@gmail.com and I will try to put together some info for you regarding mystery shopping. It will probably be next week sometime (busy week ahead!)

Diann :)

I Am My Mother's Daughter said...

Linda, Thanks for sharing so much about yourself and your family. It's an honor to be included on your journey. So glad you had a wonderful time together! Blessings

Chatty Crone said...

Well, you got the best Christmas present anyone could ask for - your family together and sharing their love with one another.

Sandie

CollectIn Texas Gal said...

I so enjoyed reading about your Christmas with your children and the special time you were able to share during this holiday. Your table looked absolutely gorgeous! Isn't the blog world fun? I'm enjoying it and the nice folks I've met. Thanks for stopping by CollectInTexas Gal...Always special to hear from another GRIT...Sue

Susan Wicker said...

Dear Linda....It was nice to read of the happy dinner you had with your family. Moments like those are part of life's greatest gifts to us, I think. My son and his fiance were here, too, as well as my daughter and her husband. I will love putting photos in my Christmas journal. Maybe someday, when I'm gone, the (future) grandkids and great-grandkids will love reading about their crazy Grammie Susan! Ha! What a thought. Thanks for sharing. Sincerely, Susan from writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com

Dixie said...

it's so wonderful when our sweet little children grow into wonderful, interesting adults! happy new year!
blessings. Dixie

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

I could feel the joy you felt as I read your post. That was wonderful. That's the best gift us mom's want. You must have been a really good mom to have such loving, healthy, supportive children. I'm so glad for you, and I hope many more get-togethers come for you. Rosie

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

You are truly blessed to have such a wonderful family. Your table looks beautiful.. I can see where you got lost in the fun and didn't take pictures..lol.. Thank you for coming by and leaving your well wishes.. With Bill's illness he doesn't remember what today is.. so it's bitter sweet...I hope you're having a super day..
hugs ~lynne~

Barbara Jean said...

That looks wonderful!
Table is so sweet, and how great you had your kids/family all together for Christmas.

Do appreciate you coming by.
I'm feeling a bit better now.

Blessings

barbara jean

Queenie said...

Oh Linda, it sounds like a perfect night...that's wonderful that all of your children could come at the same time and y'all could all be together. There's nothing like precious moments with family.
Your table scape is so pretty too...I love those pink transferware dishes, that you set out Christmas Eve. Amazing that you got those at the thrift store...that tablescape is gorgeous too, love those wine glass! I have three bowls like that...and am ever looking for the forth! LOL! Wishing you a very Happy New Year my friend!
Big Hugs,
Queenie

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

What a wonderful Christmas you had. I think that is every Mom's desire...to have children who are happy, healthy and good people.
May God bless us all in the New Year.
Deb :)

Your table looked lovely.

Shabbyfufu said...

Thank you for coming over to my blog and how lovely your story is:-). Children truly are the best blessings~enjoy! Janet

The Tablescaper said...

Dear Linda:

What a beautiful post.How wonderful for you to have shared such a wonderful dinner with your children. Those are the memories we hold dear to our hearts.

I too have found blogging to be an excellent outlet for my creativity. Thanks for visiting my blog.

I am glad that you did snap 2 quick shots of your table. Love all of the beads and decorations in the jar!

- The Tablescaper

Oliva said...

So glad to know you had a wonderful Christmas day with loved ones! You're Blessed! I wish you and your family a happy and healthy New Year!

FYI: sorry I wasn't very clear (talking shop) on my latest post. SU! is short for Stampin' Up! SU! is a company that specializes in rubber stamping supplies & more, and is where I get most my stamping supplies from! My blog started as a stamping/scrapbooking venture, but now I have expanded to other interests...LOL! Thank you for letting me know, because it will help me in being more clear in my future stamping/craft posts.

Chatty Crone said...

So how did the dinner turn out for you? Sandie

Diann said...

Hi Linda!
I just wanted to drop by once more before the new year and wish you a Happy, Safe, Healthy and AWESOME 2010! Have fun this evening doing whatever you are up to.

Us, snuggled into new pj's with movies and snacks...Aren't we just the socialites! LOL