Wednesday, December 16, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MELISSA!

I'm joining Susan at Between Naps On The Porch for Tablescape Thursday AND I'm also joining Suzanne over at Coloradolady, for Vintage Thingy Thursday.


Happy Birthday Melissa! One of my BFF's birthday is Friday Dec 18th... as any of you who have a birthday in December knows, it often gets LOST in all the Christmas hoopla. This happens to be a pretty big birthday for Melissa she is turning 40~(whoops don't tell her I told you that). I wanted to have a luncheon for her and while I wanted a festive tablescape I didn't want it to be Christmas so I went with a blue, white and silver theme.


I used many Vintage items on this table. To start I used a milk glass bowl found on the Longest Yard Sale in 2008 for $1 and added blue and silver ornaments bought last week in a bag from the GW. I added a few silver floral picks. I had a silver jingle bell wreath that I set the bowl in for more sparkle.


I used round placemats found on sale last year at Kohl's for 95 cents each. I added my vintage milk glass luncheon plates with matching cups in the grape pattern. I found the 4 plates at one thrift and then was very lucky to be able to find 4 matching cups. I layered a cobalt blue bread plate on top with a dark blue napkin in a silver napkin ring. The silverware with blue handles was picked up at the thrift for $4.



This centerpiece is so glittery! I love how the light catches the different colors, textures and shapes of the blue and silver ornaments.



I plan to serve soup in the cups and have a variety of salads to choose from. I will have homemade sourdough bread and crackers.



<!--
I used plain glasses for ice tea and added a little bow with some leftover ribbon from my daughters wedding 3 years ago.... I like how it adds another texture and more sparkle.





I turned the plate long way with the cup at the top. I like the the oval look you get by doing this.

A better look at the luncheon plates and cups.


This is a piece of Cobalt Blue Depression glass I won on ebay. I love the handle on this little dish, I will use it to hold olives and pickles.



Then of course here is the cake plate that will hold a small chocolate brownie cake...My friend LOVES chocolate. I found this cute cake plate at Marshall's marked down to $2 (yippee) and a cheese plate dome for $1.


A little more silver and blue bling on the table along with white tea lights.


Vintage milk glass, cobalt blue depression glass and new pieces make a sparkly fun luncheon table...So Melissa Happy 40th Birthday!


I will be setting my Christmas table next week.....come back and visit if you have time....Merry Christmas everyone!

Linda

9 comments:

Maureen said...

Looks great! For some reason I too strayed from my usual red and gold this year and decorated with white, silver and blue. Hmmmm... something in the air??

CC said...

Your tablescape is gorgeous. Your colors..everything is just beautiful, and I know your friend will be thrilled. Happy VTT..have a wonderful weekend.

Keetha Broyles said...

I remember in the late 60's and early 70's when decorating with blue and green was all the rage at Christmas!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

hi...thanks for stopping by my blog! make sure to stop by tomorrow to see who wins and enter the giveaway i will post tomorrow!

~~Carol~~ said...

Well aren't you an incredibly wonderful friend!! How nice of you to make her birthday really special. You did a really beautiful tablescape, and I love the wintry colors you used. My daughter has a birthday in December, and I try to make it a big deal, totally separate from Christmas. You definitely accomplished that for your friend!
Merry Christmas and Happy VTT!
Carol

Coloradolady said...

Lovely decor...I love the color combination too, everyone around here thought I was nuts having a pink tree....but I have really enjoyed it! Have a great VTT!

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

Wow, you really got some great bargains on really pretty things. Your table is so pretty, and is fresh and sparkly. I love it. Mmm, save me some of that chocolate. Rosie

Beverly said...

Happy Birthday to Melissa.

Your tablescape is lovely. My mother used to decorate with blue and silver, and it is a favorite of mine.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Linda....

Aren't you just the dearest friend to do this for your BFF in the middle of all of the hub-bub.....I'm sure she was thrilled.......you really put a lot of work into it, didn't you. The table is yumm-o!

Hugs,
Spencer