Sunday, September 22, 2013

Paris Day Eight

Paris Day Eight
Cloudy with a chance of rain
We decided with several days of rain ahead of us we would do our museum visits
First off was the Musee Rodin
It was an easy walk for us and that way we could see some more of the city!
This amazing building is Hotel de Invalides
which houses the Musee de l'Armee and Napoleon's Tomb
(I have not figured out how to get the French punctuation on my post...sorry)
We really enjoyed the view from here down the Avenue Mal Gallieni
The Grand Palais
This is where we are going today!
Oh wait, is that the Eiffel Tower? 
I love how you can see it from all over Paris!
Here we are!
We decided to buy the Paris Museum Pass so we could skip the lines.  Joletta bought only a two day pass as the only other museum she felt like she could see was the Louvre.  I bought a four day pass so I could see the other museums on my must see list.
The lines were short here and so we got right in!
We started with the main permanent collection and then visited the gardens
We were allowed to take photos here as long as we did not use a flash.  My photos do not do these gorgeous works of art justice at all.
I loved the reflection in the mirror of this piece
"The Thinker" although we saw several renditions of this piece in various sizes
Oh, who is that in that mirror??
"The Kiss" was encased so there was some glare on the photos, but it was an amazing piece
So hard to photograph, but this was one that really moved me...the arms are so gorgeous.
The hands really caught my eye!
So many amazing sculptures in the gardens
The back of the museum.  This building is the mansion where Rodin lived.
Me smiling!
Joletta resting.  My cousin has some walking issues and had to rest often, but she was such a trooper and really enjoyed everything she was able to participate in!
  I am so glad she went with me!
This sits in the inner courtyard
The tomb of Rodin sits under 
"The Thinker"
On our walk back, I noticed that the leaves were starting to change
I loved this view of the Eiffel Tower
Hungry from our walk and museum visit we stopped at this cafe and found a sidewalk seat
Wonderful bread, water (in the wine bottle) and a aperitif
   I decided if I was in Paris I would take some chances and try some new things! 
It was one of the plat de jour (I knew it was chicken) and it was delicious
A yummy tomatoes vegetable sauce with rice!
So ends day eight in Paris!

**Update:  I have my luggage but it was damaged beyond repair...I am filing a claim on it.  Contents were OK, and I am so grateful**

Linda

25 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

You brought back so many old memories. That is the wonderful thing about Europe - Paris - museums - the items stay the same - the history is always there no matter how many years in between visits. You have some gorgeous photos there - are you going to print some and make a book for yourself? Your cousin seems really nice. Glad she went with you.

Love, sandie

Maureen Wyatt said...

Your wonderful smile says you were having the time of your life!

Nellie said...

That luggage of yours has had a rough go of it!

So happy to see such a wonderful smile on your face! It is easy to see you were having a great trip!

Sue said...

This is proof that what I have been saying for years is true....Everything in Paris museums is fake...How can there be that many "thinkers".....Oh the daughter gets so upset when I say that...she says I'm so negative...
My motto is if it's under or behind glass or in a darkened room it's real....if not it's a copy....But your pictures were wonderful.....and the food...Oh it looks like you ate very well.

Jo-Anne Meadows said...

Wow I love Museums far more then Tim does but I still drag him to some and he often enjoys the visit

20 North Ora said...

What beautiful buildings and sights. What an unforgettable experience!!

Judy

Susan said...

Oh how I wish I was there! Sorry to hear about your luggage; that sucks, but at least everything inside was okay, XOXO

Jane and Chris said...

Well, Rodin certainly knew how to live!!
Jane x

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

It looks like day 8 was another wonderful adventure. Your pictures are really good! Happy to hear that your luggage finally arrived.

Donna said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time at the museum, Linda! I've not been to the Roden, those sculptures are amazing! That's too bad about your luggage! At least the contents are ok, and you will be able to buy a brand new suitcase with your claim:)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip. Glad your suitcase arrived the contents were ok.

★Carol★ said...

I would take a rainy day in Paris any day of the week! I'm just catching up on your Paris posts, and it's looking like the trip of a lifetime. And the food, OH the food! My favorite part of your posts, for sure!

Diann said...

Absolutely gorgeous pictures Linda! It looks like it was a truly wonderful day! So sorry about your luggage but, I am glad that everything inside was okay.

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Love all your photos...so glad you had a great Day Eight AND that your luggage arrived. At least the contents were OK!!! Loved the sculptures!

Sarah ~ Magnolias Attic said...

I've only seen the airport in Paris so it's nice seeing the city through your eyes! Glad your belongings were OK, even if the luggage wasn't...

ImSoVintage said...

Such an amazing city, Linda. How wonderful that you were able to see the museums. xo Laura

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

What a wonderful trip to Paris! Enjoyed the "journey" with you!
Time to rest and enjoy the memories!
Warmly,
deb

Susan said...

Oh Linda. That sounded and looked like a perfect day in "gay Parie!" You look quite dapper, too, and so happy! Thanks so much for sharing. Susan

Sarah said...

Linda, I'm having fun as you share your Paris days. So glad you got your luggage with everything safe inside. Hopefully the airline will make amends for the damaged luggage.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm so glad you got your suitcase and the things inside were OK! WHEW! And I'm loving looking at your photos this afternoon. It's raining here right now....perfect for dreaming of Paris in the rain! Sweet hugs!

Marigene said...

I have enjoyed every day of your trip, Linda!
That bread looks awesome.
Glad that you got your luggage finally...

Curtains in My Tree said...

Fabulous pictures

and that bread and wine really looks inviting
so glad you are having a fun trip and the
museums are fabulous

xinex said...

Thanks for sharing your trip, Linda...Christine

The White Pear Tree said...

Lovely! We did go to the Rodin museum, but I completely missed the part about the fact that his tomb was under "The Thinker"! The gardens are beautiful, aren't they? Very peaceful.

Nicole

Art and Sand said...

With all be beautiful sculpture and buildings, oddly, my favorite photo is the one of you smiling.