Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Traveling Apron

My time with the Traveling Apron is coming to a close....before sending it on to the next Sister I made a favorite recipe, Onion Casserole.
I first made this casserole in the 1980's 
I've seen it made with crackers but my recipe calls for toasted bread.  I even entered and won a recipe contest in my little town with this casserole!
First of all you do a coarse chop on the onions and brown them in butter.  Layer in a casserole.  Toast bread and tear into small pieces.  Mix with shredded cheese.  Layer over sauteed onions saving one cup of bread/cheese mixture.
Mix a can of cream of mushroom soup and milk and pour over casserole.  Sprinkle last cup of bread/cheese mixture on top.  Bake!
This casserole is great with ham and for those church suppers!  
(Using Vintage Pyrex makes it taste better also!!)
I cut this recipe in half for just the two of us and it was great!  Every time I take this somewhere I get asked for the recipe.  I hope you enjoy it!

I have enjoyed my time with the Traveling Apron!
I've met some great blogger 'Sisters' and made some new friends.  I enjoyed thinking about cooking and how it connects us to our friends and families; past, present and future.  Remembering times cooking with my Grandmother and my Mom.  Times teaching my girls to cook.  Baking Christmas cookies and Banana nut bread that we would take to neighbors.  This apron is magical and I've been blessed to have shared in it's journey.
When I questioned 'how do you know who is next' I was told the apron will tell you.  It did!  The next Sister of the Traveling Susan Apron is
She is a wonderful blogging friend and will be a great new 'sister'~ she lives in Florida so the apron will travel to a new state this week!  I hope you will visit her and get to know this sweet and fun lady!  I just might sneak in one more time cooking with the apron tomorrow~it's magic is powerful!

Hugs,
Linda

21 comments:

Jill said...

Looks like Pyrex was used!!

Deb said...

Great recipe, Linda. Glad you had fun with the apron. I still smile when I think of how cool it is to have this apron travelling around the world. Looking forward to meeting our new 'sister'. Deb

joanne said...

I'd love to become a 'sister' how does that work??? I'm printing out your recipe and it goes on the list for next week...I love onions.

Barbara F. said...

Wow, good luck to Diane on receiving the magic apron. Your onion casserole sounds like a wonderful side dish, especially for Thanksgiving. xo

Elaine said...

I am glad that the magic of the apron has worked again! Lovely post - and the recipe sounds like one I would like to adapt for our tastes - so we'll try it later this week. I'm going to nip over and visit Diane's blog right now.x

Scarlet said...

I'm so glad you had fun with the apron - it's pull is very strong isn't it? The recipe sounds great- something I'd have loved to eat before making the switch to a plant-based diet.I too love vintage Pyrex.I'm heading to Diane's now to see my new sister!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Your casserole sounds really good Linda! I might try a half batch for dinner with the boys too. Sounds like you had a fun time with the apron:@)

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

PS-LOVE your new fall header:@)

Gina said...

Looks like a great recipe! I'm sure the magic of the apron made it especially yummy.

Tree Hugger - Suzan said...

Looks like you've had fun with your traveling apron!! Your onion casserole looks great! Too bad videlias aren't in season - but will have to try your onions anyway!! Never can get enough onions!! Thanks Linda for sharing!

Jane and Chris said...

The apron reawakens memories,and expands the wearer's heart. I love having my sisterhood sisters..and now I'm going to meet a new one!
Jane xxx

Chatty Crone said...

Linda I have never had onion casserole before - looks interesting - I know the kids would not eat it - but hubs might. You look great in that apron too!

Vonlipi said...

That casserole sounds intriguing and it is certainly thrifty!

Sounds like something my dad would love!

Vintage Christine said...

I'm afraid that casserole would definitely not be on my low fat, low carb, low cal, LOW (no, make that NO) taste diet! I love onions and cheese and bread--I hate cream of mushroom soup but there are several cream of's" that are good subs. I have several vintage aprons but have never worn one and I don't remember my mother wearing one, either, but she sure did love to cook.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The dish you made looks fantastic! And I am SO excited to have the apron travel to Florida! I'll take good care of it and maybe I'll even turn on the oven and bake something yummy! I do wear an apron every day of my life...I have one on right now! Thank you so much, my friend! Sweet Southern hugs, Diane

Happy@Home said...

Hi Linda,
Thanks so much for your recent visit and kind comments.
What a fun idea this travelling apron is. I have a little collection of vintagey aprons and they bring back such happy memories.
Your recipe for onion casserole sounds and looks so good. You can't go wrong with those ingredients.

Claudia said...

Linda, I have to try that recipe! It sounds delicious!!

xo
Claudia

Susan said...

Mmmm, that casserole sounds YUM! Susan

ImSoVintage said...

Yum!!! This sounds good and I could make it with my gluten free bread :)

Annesphamily said...

Oh Linda I love this! I am an apron fanatic anyway so seeing this traveling apron was just delightful! Your casserole looks yummy. You are a real prize! Hugs Anne

The Shop Around the Corner said...

I just found this through my lovely blogging friend, Diane. What a great idea. Had to stop by to see all the other apron wearers. :)
Much love,
Marcia