Monday, March 8, 2010

YOU MUST KNOW PAULA!!

I am joining in these two fun Tuesday parties...Tuesday Trivia Tie-in and Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays.

I found these two great cookbooks at my local Goodwill, priced right and 25% off as it was Senior Day.   I have wanted to buy some of her cookbooks for awhile now but finding them at the thrift was even better.

Paula Deen (born Paula Ann Hiers) on January 19, 1947 in Albany GA. 
She is an American cook, restaurateur, author, and Emmy award-winning television personality.

Paula has an smile that you can spot a mile away and an infectious southern accent that makes you feel right at home.  She resides in Savannah, Ga where she owns and operates The Lady & Sons restaurant with her two sons, Jamie & Bobby Deen.  She has published five cookbooks.  
 The Lady & Sons Just Desserts was published in 2002 brings more then 120 Yummy sweets including the "Gooey Butter Cake" and one of the restaurants favorites "Turtle Cake".  I have yet to bake anything from this recent find, but I'm sure the calories will be worth every bite.
 Sharing a delicious meal is everyone's favorite way of bringing together friends and loved ones. In this cookbook, Paula Deen & Friends: Living It Up, Southern Style, Paula Deen -- author, restaurateur, and Food Network star -- turns to her friends to share their stories, ideas for entertaining Southern style, and, most important, more than 150 of the prized recipes they serve to their family and friends.  This was published in 2005.  


Many of you may know of the early hardships that Paula endured and overcame.  She suffered from panic attacks and agoraphobia, eventually becoming virtually housebound during her 20's.  


In 2009 Paula published a book about her life, struggles and successes.  I have not read this yet, but it is on my TBR list.  This woman makes me think that anything is possible.  

I hope you will go and visit Trey for Tuesday Trivia Tie-In and Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday.  So as Paula would say
"Hey Y'all" thanks for stopping by and hope to see you again real soon.


Always,
Linda







14 comments:

Queenie said...

Wonderful book finds...I have one of her cookbooks...and I love her food network show ...she is just a doll! You did great finding these...I would have snagged them up too! :)
Big hugs,
Queenie

Susan said...

Hi Linda..You can't help but like Paul Deen. She's just a sweetie pie. She cracks me up. The cookbooks you got look great. Congratulations! How's the trip going? Thinking of you driving in Texas. Sincerely, Susan from writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com

Janie said...

I'm familiar with Paula Deen but I don't own too many cookbooks because I really hate to cook....I just never enjoyed being in the kitchen. Thank goodness my husband and son don't seem to mind :-)
Sounds like you got a great buy on the books and I appreciated getting to know a little more about Paula.
Jane

Anne - Fiona and Twig said...

Oh sure, everybody knows Paula!
Her recipes look so good, but lawdy, are they ever rich and fattening! Girl LOVES butter! :-)

She's a hoot, fun to watch.

Have a great Tuesday,
Anne

silk purse said...

I LOVE PAULA DEEN's cookbooks! She seems to be such a sweet lady.~ Good for you in finding these cookbooks!

You are cordially invite to TUESDAY tEA @ THE PLUMED PEN BLOG!

Cheers from Wanda Lee @ The Plumed Pen

Chickens in the Basement said...

Wow, I didn't know Paula was agorophobic. I love it when people overcome their disabilities (for lack of a better word in my head at the moment) and move on to great things. I particularly like Paula because she has maintained her southern manner and helped dispel the myth that a southern accent means your dumb!

Chatty Crone said...

You must be on your way already this morning - drive safe.

About Paula - she is awesome. I didn't know about her early troubles - I might see if I can get that book to read! Sounds interesting.

Sandie

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Linda...

Ohhh...I love Paula Dean! I watch her cooking show all the time! She is definitely one of the greatest cooks of our day! And...I love all that butter! Hehe! What a great thrifty treasure find...finding two of her cookbooks! I'm so happy for you, my friend!!! I really enjoyed reading about this great lady...thank you for including some of Paula's life's history!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Diann said...

Hey Linda!

Hope you are having fun! I do not have any Paula cookbooks. I have wanted one for awhile now. I would have snatched them up at a thrift store too! Now I will be expecting some fabulous post about a Paula meal you just "whipped up"! LOL

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

I just read that you won the giveaway at The Thrifty Groove. Congratulations! Couldn't have gone to a nicer lady.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Have fun on your road trip and I hope you find lots of treasures!
Deb :)

Pat said...

Great post! I too, love Paula Deen. I watch her quite often on Food Network. She seems to be such a sweet lady. I love her personality and great smile. I would like to get the book about her life. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Pat

Deb said...

I am a big Paula Deen fan. When I have time I often download a recipe of hers and try it out or pick up one of her magazines. She's great. You have a very nice blog. I am new to blogland and I have kitties too so you may want to take a peak. Deb

Troy said...

Hi Linda,

Thanks for joining Tuesday Trivia Tie-in this week. It looks like you got some great Paula Deen books, being a Southern Girl yourself, I imagine you sound just like her, now you should be able to cook just like her too.

I like to watch Paula, but didn't know much about her. I love the fact that I get to learn new things each week.

Thanks again, I hope you are enjoying your trip.

Troy