Monday, March 1, 2010

TUESDAY TREASURES

Today is Tuesday and I'm joining three fun parties!!

 Troy over at I REFUSE TO RECEDE for his Tuesday Trivia.  I'm also joining in a new blog party at COASTAL CHARM  I hope you will check it out.  LINDA (isn't that a great name) will be our hostess for this party.  I'm also joining Diane at A Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words For 2nd Time Around Tuesday


Saturday I went to Athens, GA to spend the day with my daughter Sara and her husband Blake.  We had a wonderful birthday lunch for Sara (great Pizza at Metropolitan Athens).  So being stuffed full of great food we decided to walk around a little bit.  We went to a great new shop called Ohh, Boy! What a cute store! They are located at 585 Barber Street, Studio E., Athens, GA.   They have vintage clothes, dishes and lots of great handmade items on consignment.  Sara got a cute pizza pin and I bought this awesome Homer Laughlin creamer. 
Homer Laughlin was a china company and had many patterns before the Fiesta Pattern was created in 1935.  The Homer Laughlin Pottery was founded in 1871 in East Liverpool, Ohio by two brothers.  They made china at first and it wasn't until the late 1920's early 1930's that they started making pottery.  The created many patterns and glazes which led to the now popular Fiesta Ware.  One of the markings on Fiesta is HLC (Homer Laughlin China).  



We then went to the Habitat for Humanity Thrift shop.  There wasn't a lot to pick from.  Seemed like the shelves were pretty empty but I did find this white pottery planter, embroidery piece (it is pretty ragged so will be made into something else) and two grass place mats.  Not bad for under $5.


I also made a stop at the Salvation Army and found a couple of things.   Some napkin rings that were very thrifty...only two of each kind but that works for me.  Can you see the price?  
 
I also found a cute blue crock, a round basket and some pink plates.
 
The plates are a pale pink with a gray trim.  A Very nice Pfaltzgraph pattern.  I got two dinner plates and two salad plates for $3 total.  These will go great with some vintage pink and gray plates I have. 

So these are my Nifty Thrifty finds and some triva about Homer Laughlin company.  Be sure to check out the other posts at Troy's, Diane's and Linda's to enjoy more Tuesday fun.

Always,
Linda
 


27 comments:

Chickens in the Basement said...

I'm a Homer Loughlin fan, too. Not so much Fiesta, though. Sounds like you had a fun weekend...and got to spend time with your daughter...BONUS!

Susan said...

Nice finds,Linda. Don't you just adore going into thrify shops and seeing what treasures you can find? So glad your daughter likes to do that, too! Makes it more fun. Sincerely, Susan from writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh that creamer is so great! What a find. Also really like your napkin rings. You found some real treasures. laurie

Chatty Crone said...

Happy Birthday to Sara - I know you had a great time and I know she was glad that you were there.

And your nice little finds were like icing on top of a cake!

Yummy.

sandie

Denise said...

First off, thanks for the kind words. I'm kind of down tonight as you know. It's nice that somebody understands.

That said, I don't think anything brings a smile to my face quite like finding the deal at thrifting! You did good and I love your photographs. It was like I was shopping with you! :)

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

Love your finds, Linda. I sure wish I lived a lot closer to you, so we could go thrifting together. I went to an antique mall today, and found 7 mint green napkins for $3. They are top quality and beautiful. And certainly not antique. Its a very large antique mall, and I guess when they want to get rid of newer stuff, they just throw it in the pile at thrift store prices. So its one of my 'thrift' haunts. You'd be so proud of me. lol

The Muse said...

yes...who doesn't have a piece of HL in their cupboard!
and a creamer...that is a true find!

sounds like you had a fab time with family...those moments are always the best! :)

Jane said...

I really enjoyed reading about the Homer Laughlin Pottery. My first job out of college moved me to Ohio. I traveled the entire state of Ohio and was in East Liverpool several times. I never knew they were "famous" for their pottery.
Love your finds. Sounds like a wonderful weekend with your daughter.
Jane

Diann said...

Hi Linda!

I am loving your finds. and yo know I love those prices you paid!

I have a couple of Homer Laughlin pieces that I love. That little creamer is a wonderful piece!

Glad to hear you had a fun trip with your daughter!

Sandra said...

I have a few Homer Laughlin pieces and love them. Thanks for the info about the company. I like your idea of using the Target barrettes for napkin rings...clever idea! Sandra

Judi said...

Great finds ~ Don't ya love the shape of the creamer? It's nice your daughter like to thrift with you too! Judi

My name is PJ. said...

You can't go wrong when you go thrifting! You got yourself some gems....AND you taught me more about Homer Laughlin!

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Oh those are NICE! i have to fight myself not to collect both of those things - dinnerware and linens :) Sometimes I do better than others lol, you can only collect so much...or so my family tells me :)
Tracy

mrsnesbitt said...

The plates reminded me of Danby pottery, popular here in UK! My first time with Tuesday Trivia!

Sherrie said...

I love your treasures and thrift stores, you know me. Thanks for leaving your nice comment. The banana bread is great on its own, but anything is better with cream cheese. What you don't know about me, is my philosophy. If you must sin, let it be gluttony! Have a great day.

Creations By Cindy said...

Love your treaures and finds. I also love Athens Ga. What amazing finds you FOUND!

~~Carol~~ said...

Great finds Linda, especially that HL creamer! That is definitely something that I would have grabbed too. Isn't it fun to spend a day just thrifting?!

marmielu said...

Good finds! It's fun getting a little bit here and a little bit there.
Mary Lou

Linda said...

I love Homer Loughlin pieces...I sold a lot of them when I was in the business! Sounds like you had a FUN visit with your family:) Thanks for coming to my first NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY!

Blessings,
Linda

Rinkly Rimes said...

I was a great fan of thrift shops even before I had to be, if you know what I mean. I love the ones which colour-code everything. That makes it look so rainbow-like.

Sharlotte said...

Great finds! I know what you mean about some days...sometimes it seems that I can find a lot at thrift stores, other days, not so much. I loved your embroidered napkins, too cute! Thanks so much for sharing!

Romeo said...

Linda,

Don't you just love thrift stores?!!? Looks like you did very well!

Has Charlie left the room? I really don't want to push him off your lap....but it is MY turn!! You did tell him I could come over fur a visit didn't mew?

Stay warm!

Luff,

Romeo (your "other" favorite cat)

Ldy ~~ Dy said...

Love finding those "little" treasures! Great trivia on Homer Laughlin. Keep on thrifting!! Hugs!

Angie said...

I love those 29 cent napkin rings...woo hoo!

Hugs ~ Angie

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Wow Linda, I've never seen anyone celebrate THREE parties in one day as nicely as you did today!!!!

You have some great finds here, plus you gave us some cool history on Homer Laughlin! I only have one piece, it was my grandmother's and it's chipped but I love it anyway!

Love your finds...I think I'm leaving here a little too!
;)

Troy said...

Linda,

Thank you for joining Tuesday Trivia Tie-in this week. I always think of Fiesta Ware as being these exotic dishes from Mazatlan or Puerta Vallarta or some place. I never think of it having its' origin in a little town in Ohio...

What fun finds you got, and fascinating information to go with them.

Thanks again, I hope you can join in next week too.

Lemondrop Marie said...

Ahh! Those Pfaltzgraph plates are some I have had forever! Mine are pink and green and called Juniper. What great finds you've had of late
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge