Tuesday, March 30, 2010

PRESSED GLASS OR CUT GLASS?

I am joining in three fun parties today...
for Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays
For 2nd Time Around Tuesday
I Refuse to Recede For Tuesday Trivia 
Tie-In with Troy


Today when thrifting I found these three pieces of glass that I fell in love with
 
They are not expensive or valuable pieces, but interesting in their shapes and designs
I have seen many pieces like this one
I like the little handle 
I found this 3 section dish and love the shape and the design at one end
I will call this a sugar bowl, but I am not sure of that

I find the handles very unique
My Question....Pressed Glass or Cut Glass?
I am not an expert on glass, and I hear these two terms used but I'm not completely clear about the exact meaning of each.   Here is what I found...


Pressed glass is a form of glass made using a plunger to press molten glass into mold. It was first patented by American inventor John P. Bakewell in 1825 to make knobs for furniture.
The technique was developed in the United States from the 1820s and in Europe, particularly France, Bohemia, and Sweden from the 1830s. By the mid-19th century most inexpensive mass-produced  was pressed. 
from Wikepedia


Cut glass generally refers to a glass piece that has been decorated entirely with cutting. Cut glass is decorated by hand by cutting away some of the glass with rotating wheels made of iron or stone. Glass must have at least 40% lead oxide in order to be cut by the rotating wheels without shattering. The higher the lead oxide content in the glass, the better the cutting results. This leaded glass is called crystal. All cut glass is crystal. However, all crystal is not cut glass because a lot of crystal is decorated in different ways such as etching or painting.
Cuts are made on a smooth surface of glass by craftsmen who know just how to hold and move the piece of glass against these rotating wheels to produce the desired pattern. The wheel cuts straight notches with sharp angles into the glass. The more light reflecting surfaces from straight angles, the greater the sparkle in the piece of crystal.
Cut glass, or cut leaded crystal, has three unique characteristics:
< (1) When gently tapped with a finger, cut glass emits a bell-like tone. (2) Cut glass is distinctly clearer and more brilliant than glass pieces made by any other method. (3) Cut glass pieces weigh much more than pieces of the same size made of unleaded glass 
More information about cut glass HERE 

So with out a doubt these pieces are all pressed glass.  I do have some cut glass but much more pressed glass and this has helped me to understand the difference.

Always,
Linda

19 comments:

KarenSue said...

Hi Linda, That's interesting. I learned something today. I buy what I like, pressed or cut.
Thanks for the info today.
Enjoy your day!

sissie said...

Hello Linda!
You have gathered up some lovely glass pieces. I love how vintage glass sparkles under the lights.
Pressed or cut glass, I am so glad that you explained the difference.

Great post.

hugs
Sissie

Jane said...

Thanks for the great info. I have a distinct memory of my mother explaining the difference to me years ago. She has several cut glass pieces that were her Grandmother's and they definitely are heavy pieces. I think I'll do the tap test and see if they bing!
Jane

My name is PJ. said...

My guess, based on what I've been taught, is the sugar bowl is pressed, the bowl LOOKS cut....and I can't tell with the dish.

Nice finds all! Hard to dust them though.....all the nooks and crannies.

Queenie said...

Good Morning Linda :)
What pretty glass pieces...
Would you believe that I have the oblong one, but mine's in yellow, and I also have the leaf shaped one too?! I love vintage glass...and there's really so many designs and styles to be found.
I hope that you Have a Happy Easter!
Big Hugs,
Queenie

Creations By Cindy said...

Love glass pieces! Be blessed. Cindy

Julie Harward said...

Hi...thanks for the visit and kind words. I love the cut glass, seems so much is plastic now, this is art! :D

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

Thank you for the info. Now I know which of my pieces are crystal. Some of my pieces look light as a feather but weigh a ton. They are equally beautiful, though. I really love your treasures.

~~Carol~~ said...

I never knew the difference until now! I've got a couple pieces that my Mom always used, to put olives and pickles in. Now I know that they are pressed glass!

Chatty Crone said...

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the glass lesson - I'm going to make a hard copy and check some things out.

Your new little treasures are pretty and I too love those unusual handles.

Miss you.

Sandie

Susan said...

Hi Linda....How are you doing in Texas? Wow! You are staying awhile. I'm sure that makes your Mom very, very happy.

Your glass pieces are very nice. Never knew there were two kinds...pressed and cut. Congratulations! Sincerely, Susan

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Great information, thanks for sharing. Love all your pieces. They are very pretty. Have a great day!

Sherrie
A View of My Life
http://splummer-aviewofmylife.blogspot.com/2010/03/tuesday-trivia-tie-in.html

Nicole R.J. said...

Hopping over from Coastal Charm... I just love that bowl, those handles are just fab! I'm no glass expert either, but all your pieces are lovely finds!

Jenny said...

You have such an eye for finding interesting things. These are lovely. Their shape and form is so beautiful. And thanks for sharing the info. I didn't know that.

Diann said...

Hiya Linda!

What a great post about the difference in glass! I often wonder which I have.

I really like the glass pieces you found. I really love the "bubble" edged divided tray. I still don't know the ame of that design but, I think it is so pretty.

Hope you are having a great time!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Linda,
I luv your pieces and thanks for the great info and also for bringing it to my PAR-TAY:)

Blessings,
Linda

Joyce said...

I was at the factory in Ireland so I did see them cut the glass which was amazing. Glad to read your info on pressed glass. I never thought about it all before your article. Now my question to you is how are going to get all these things back home? I assume you will have a giant suitcase or will ship it all home. Safe journey home. happy Easter.
Joyce

Nancy said...

You found some lovely pieces of glass. I especially like the handled bowl/compote. Gorgeous!

Troy said...

Linda, Thank you for joining Tuesday Trivia Tie-in again this week.

Your information about glass was fascinating. I have always liked unusual glass pieces, and knew nothing about them. I just knew what I liked. Imagine the time and patience that goes into making a piece of cut glass, with all th elittle facets and notches in it. It's amazing!