Monday, October 10, 2011

GOOGLEPLEX

As I shared with you in previous posts my daughter Ashleigh works for Google.  She has worked for them for seven years here in Atlanta.  This past August she decided to take a transfer to the Mountain View, CA site also know as 'Googleplex'.  This is the home base of the vast Google organization.   I looked forward to my tour here and I must say I had a great time!
I was not allowed to take any inside photos but outside was fine! 
This is the courtyard where lots of activities happen
A concert on a Tue afternoon
Free beer, soft drinks and ice cream for all
Meet Stan the T-Rex he is outside of building 43
Do you notice anything strange about Stan?
Flamingos!
I thought they were there in my honor but apparently they are an inside Google joke!
There are lots of carvings in this area and I had to give Jacques Cousteau a little kiss
Here I am posing with a Google sign and doing my Vanna White impersonation...are there any O's!
Our next stop was the Android building
It seems that all the updated android releases are named after desserts and there are huge statues of each dessert outside this building
Gingerbread, Honeycomb and Eclair
Cupcake
Froyo (aka Frozen Yogurt)
Me and the Honeycomb...had I known there was a big ole bee about to attack I might not have been smiling!
And my personal favorite, the Donut!
Going in alphabetical order i'm told the next release will be called Ice Cream Sandwich...I'll visit that statue on my next visit to Cali!
Notice the antenna on the building...

These bicycles are all over campus for Googlers to take and ride to different locations.
 Just leave it and someone else will use it to go to the next place. 
I must tell you I was so impressed by this company! They provide mini-kitchens on each floor with free drinks and snacks of all kinds.  They have approximately 22 cafe's through out the complex featuring a large variety of foods.  Free meals are available for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.  We ate dinner there and the food was really good!  
Google is very Eco Friendly and they have their own gardens to help supplement their restaurants fresh herbs and veggies.  They also have recycling stations everywhere.
They also have workout gyms and lap pools for Googlers 
to work off all those free meals.
Here I am at the end of my tour at the official address of Google.  I did get to shop in their store and found a few souvenirs!  Notice my Chrome tote bag! 

I must say a big Thank You to my daughter Ashleigh!  Not only did she give me the tour but humored me and took all these fun photos of me at Google! I think she called it 'take your Mom to work day'!  
There are some great photos of the inside of Google in a TIME photo essay if you want to take a look!
I am flying to Texas tomorrow.  I had planned this trip for Thanksgiving, but my brother who has been ill for a long time is not doing so well.  I will be staying with my Mom and I am excited to see her.  My sister in law (who is like a sister to me) just lost her Mother on Friday and is in North Carolina and will be back later this week.  My brothers illness has really been hard on her and my Mom so I'm trying to be strong for them.  It's a hard time for my whole family.  I will update as I can!

Hugs,
Linda


32 comments:

Susan said...

Linda, it looks like you were having so much fun at Google!

Jojo said...

So exciting to get to visit Google and to tour such an incredible workplace!

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing said...

How fun Linda! You can certainly tell you had a blast Vanna LOL! Cool tour for sure. Be safe on your next trip. You are a traveling lady lately!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

What fun, Linda! I love it! I am glad you gave Jacques a kiss. I had hoped to one day go on the Calypso with him, but it sank! :-( I can't imagine that the inside could be any more amazing than the outside! Thanks for taking us along! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Marigene said...

Looks like you had a blast at Google!
I am sorry your brother is so ill...stay strong, especially for your Mom.

Pondside said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the health challenges in your family. Isn't it good that you can go to be with your mum?
I loved your Google post! What a fun place to visit!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Google must be such an amazing place to work! Sounds like you had a fun tour Linda:@)

So sorry to hear about your brother, my thoughts are with you.

trumatter said...

Linda, you just visited my favorite company in the entire world. Google. God, I wish they took me in as a digital writer. Lucky you

Leah said...

Great Google shots, Linda! Glad you had such fun with your daughter. :)

Sorry to hear about your brother. :(

PⒿ @ $ € € ₦$ ₣®0₥... said...

There is such a simple lesson in this HUGE, well appointed place, isn't there? Give employees a stimulating, fun environment and provide them with exercise facilities (and I bet healthy food too) and they'll be happy to come to work....more productive.

Gina said...

Oh wow, that looks like such a fun place to visit & work! Looks like Google knows what they're doing, that's for sure.

Rae said...

Looks like you had a great time! Cool place!
Praying for your family members...

Jill said...

Such a bright and happy looking place!

Cheri said...

Well Google looks like a fun place to work, glad you had a fun time. Sorry Linda to hear about your brother...hugs to you and have a safe trip.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

What a fun place to visit and to work, I bet. Great pictures.

Chatty Crone said...

I am so sorry about your brother - and know it has to be hard on the whole family. Hugs and prayers and have a safe trip Linda.

Hard to go to something as happy as Google - wow - does it seem like one heck of a great place to work - too bad more companies aren't employee friendly - it may help their business - Clark Howard talked about that once.

I loved each and everything there. 44 buildings. Bikes. Food. Color and fun.

Love,
sandie

C'est moi Claudette said...

I kissed a funny dude like that on my post today Linda. Funny.
Google looks to darn cute to work for. I know your daughter LOVES it.
Now I'm sorry you have to go through what I just went through.
Sending love to you while you fly my friend.
I fly out tomorrow too.
xoxoxoxo

Betsy said...

What an amazing place. I think they should re-name it Googleland, it looks more like an amusement park. Wouldn't it be nice if every corporation could be so employee friendly?
Have a safe trip to Texas. I'm so sorry to hear that your brother is ill, will keep you in my prayers.

Pat said...

I'm sorry to hear of your brother's health struggles and hope he will recover nicely from this. Thanks for telling more about Google. I had heard some fabulous things about it and wondered if they were exaggerated, but...apparently not! What a place to work. Your daughter is very lucky!!!

~~Carol~~ said...

I've read many times that Google is one of the best places in the world to work, and this just proves it!
I'm so sorry about your brother's illness. You and your whole family are in my thoughts and prayers Linda.

Honey at 2805 said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time Googleing around with your daughter! So happy you had a great time.

I will keep your borther in my prayers.

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Google looks like a fun place to work. I know Ashleigh must love it!!! So sorry to hear sad news about your family...Take care and know we're thinking of you!!!

zaza said...

Now I see why Google has been voted "best work environment". What a great place to work and fun place to visit! Your pics look terrific.
My thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.

Diann said...

Now that looks like a fun pace to work! I bet you had a blast checking it all out.I am sure those flamigos WERE there JUST for YOU!!

the cape on the corner said...

unbelievable! looks like a fabulous place to work.

i hope you're getting my comments! i was having a problem last week, where none of them were posting when i left them! very discouraging. i left one on your thrifting finds post-love those cheap souvenirs!

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

Linda,
Sorry to hear your brother is ill. I'll be thinking of you and your family.
Thanks for sharing the cool Google experience. It's great that you have an "in" there. You must be so pleased that your daughter gets to work in such a great place!

Jacqueline said...

Wow, wow, wow! I want to work there! What a fun place with a sense of whimsy. I had no idea. No wonder she took the transfer though far away from home. Hope your brother improves.

~Tablescapes By Diane~ said...

Hi lovely lady.
OH this looks like a fun place. So sorry your Brother is sick. I will be keeping you and your family in my prays.
XXOO Diane

Nancy's Notes said...

Linda, looks like you had a blast at Google, how neat to have the grand tour! I'm so very sorry about your brother, know it's a hard and rough time on all. Take care, sweet friend.

Nancy

pamq said...

Wow.

Quite the place!

Pink Flamingo heaven.

And a giant donut.

Doesn't get any better! ;-)

Hope things go well in Texas....I'll be thinking about you all......

Jenny said...

Wow Linda! I think I want to work at Google. Or at least visit! With you! That happy smile of yours is contagious. And what a lovely, lovely place. Loved the giant cupcake!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

This really looks like loads of fun, Linda!

XO,

Sheila