Thursday, January 22, 2015

Heap of Change Challenge

Funky Junk Interiors started a challenge for January and I decided to join in.
I am so far behind and this is my first post for the challenge.  

As my first challenge I decided to organize my Christmas decorations as I put them away this year.  I have such small storage spaces in my duplex and way too much stuff.  I tried to downsize my decorations and sent a few bags to the thrift shop.
Putting Christmas decorations in piles of 'like' items was a start...
I tried to group all the vintage items together
Linens, stockings and pillows
Tins for cookies and gifts
I put all the floral sprays and picks, groups of colored ornaments (for tablescapes) and pine cones in zip lock bags and then in one bin. 
This makes them much easier to find when doing a table or vignette!
One bin of vintage ornaments.
Another way to save space is to use pillow covers.  I got these at H&M this year for $5.99 each and I love them.  I'm still using the red & white pattern through February.  

So where do I store all the bins?
My laundry room...one corner has space for several large bins and this is where I put the Christmas and Fall decor.
I just added this set of shelves and on the top I was able to store my ornaments and several other small containers of Christmas odds and ends. 
The shelf above the washer/dryer holds my suitcases and some other boxes I still need to sort through.  This laundry room also houses Charlies litter box (I'm sparing you a photo of course).

This is going to help me focus on one area at a time and get it done!  It's so easy to get overwhelmed when you look at it as a whole! 

This weeks link ups are at
Beyond The Picket Fence

Wising you JOY,

Linda

24 comments:

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Oh Linda, I so need you in my home to help me take down Christmas... it's still up! hahaha

You've done an amazing job! This is no small task. It'll be an absolute delight to put up Christmas next year due to this. Way to go!

I hope you join us next week again! :)

Teresa@magazineyourhome said...

You did an outstanding job organizing your Christmas decor. Every year I vow to do this but it all just ends up a jumbled mess in a box. Maybe I'll take it all out and follow your example!

the cape on the corner said...

this is so organized, that other shelving unit plus the one where your luggage is really maximizes the space.

Hartwood Roses said...

There's just something about January that makes us feel like we can really make a difference and get more organized. This year we organized Christmas more, but not enough to suit me. What you did looks great ... and I bet it feels great, too.

20 North Ora said...

Looks really organized to me!

Judy

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Great job Linda. Aren't you glad you have all that space in your laundry room? You're going to be so happy next year when it's all organized.

Sarah said...

Kudos on your organizational efforts. It all makes a big difference if we stay organized. I organized my Christmas things a few years ago, and each year I tweak it by editing out more. Now I'm moving on to other areas here that need the organizational touch.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Marigene said...

Good for you on getting organized! I am starting to get into the mood for cleaning/organizing...so far I have done the pantry, linen armoire, more with the shelving for the dishes in the garage and today I did the fridge! I hate doing it for some reason.
Have a great weekend, Linda.

ImSoVintage Laura Walker said...

WOW, great job of organizing. I definitely need to go through my closets in my bedroom and get them organized they are a mess. xo Laura

mary scott said...

I also better organized Christmas as I put it away. I had thinned it out pre- Christmas & donated to a thrift. I agree with you; my to-do list is corner by corner in my house - much less intimidating, isn't it?

Nellie said...

I have way too much "stuff" for this house, too, and I've been trying to sort through some of it. You have made good progress with the organizing. xo Nellie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You've done so great already! It's so hard to put things away and decide on what not to keep as you pack. WHEW! It's daunting! Enjoy your week my friend and Sis!

Sue said...

Oh the Boss would be so proud of your organizational skills....he loves everything in tubs and put onto shelves..he just made me do this down in the basement on "my side"....right after he told me what a slob I am...LOL

Audrey said...

Every year, I try to organize my Christmas decoration but then the next year when I can't find what I am looking for, I wonder about my organization skills. Looks like you have a good plan and doing an amazing job. You have inspired me to get busy and put my stuff away.
Blessings,
Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

The Tablescaper said...

You go girl! You're doing an amazing job and organizing is no small task. Keep at it!

- Alma, The Tablescaper

Angie Chavez said...

Great job, Linda! All my Christmas decor is stacked in a big heap in the corner of my bedroom, and I' not the least bit inspired to work on it, but I know it can't stay there all year...or can it? :)

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

You have made your next year setting up Christmas decorations so much easier. What a great way to organize.

handmade by amalia said...

Looks very organized! You'll be pretty pleased with yourself come November :-)
Amalia
xo

Doreen@househoneys said...

Ten months from now you'll be thrilled you made the extra effort to do this now. The best investment I ever made was purchasing boxes that were specifically for ornaments. They've lasted for more years than I can remember, and make it so easy to store and pack them.

My thrift store addiction said...

Great job, Linda! Love those H & M pillow covers too ;) Blessings, Cecilia

Candy S said...

Linda your organization project looks very successful. I like the way you have organized in groups. Great Job!

rush said...

This post reminded me of a funny my little daughter told me so many years ago: How do you eat an elephant? Answer: One bite at a time! It's the same way with organization: one space, one step at a time. Enjoy the process along the way.

Tree Hugger - Suzan said...

Linda,
You are so neat and organized!! Love using those tubs. When things go into the attic now - I don't fear opening the box and finding mouse poop on everything!!

gail said...

wow Linda....great job....I've been doing a bit of this myself. just cleaned my entire basement. such a great feeling.....