Monday, July 5, 2010

TRIVIA AND THRIFTING...

I have tomatoes! 
Yes...I know they are green
Yes...I know they are small
BUT
I have tomatoes!
These are Grape Tomatoes
Every so often, a new variety of fruit or vegetable becomes an overnight sensation. Such is the case with the hybrid strain called a grape tomato. Originally introduced as an exotic item in upscale grocery stores, the grape tomato has become extremely popular for both produce growers and customers alike. Producers benefit from the grape tomato's hearty skin and high yield per plant, while customers enjoy the enhanced sweetness and convenient size.
The original tomato plants found in South America produced fruit not much larger than plums. The larger and heartier varieties of tomatoes favored by consumers were the result of cross-breeding and other hybrid growing techniques. A demand for smaller tomatoes resulted in the development of the 'cherry' tomato, which became a popular item for snacking and salads.
 As the years rolled by and consumer preferences changed, the cherry tomato began to lose its appeal. Its thin skin and high water content made shipping difficult, and many consumers were not impressed with its variable flavor. Meanwhile, a new strain of tomato was created in Southeast Asia which combined the thicker skin of the beefsteak-style tomato with the size and flavor of the Italian Roma tomato. The result was a first generation hybrid fruit with a thick skin, low water content and an intense sweetness. Because it resembled an olive or grape, this new variety became known as a grape tomato.

A grape tomato is half the size of a cherry tomato, which makes it easier to distribute in salads and eat as a snack. The lower water content cuts down on the 'squirt' factor experienced by many cherry tomato eaters. The flavor of a grape tomato is noticeably sweeter than a Roma or cherry tomato. Some bars in Asia offer customers bowls of grape tomatoes instead of the usual salted peanuts.  
Info from WiseGeek.com 

The Grape Tomato is go yummy to just pop in your mouth and eat!
My Mom really loves this variety.  So I hope they turn red and I will let you know when I eat the first one!



I found this really cool wooden planter box
at the thrift on 1/2 price day so it was $4.50

As you can see it need some spiffing up
I want to paint it so I'm asking all you 
crafty gals to help me.  What kind of paint and what color?
I was thinking a dark green?  It will be outdoor on the deck

The flowers are in a pot and just sitting in the top part 
of the planter


I am joining in these parties this week


Troy at I REFUSE TO RECEDE


Linda at Coastal Charm

Diane at A Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words 

Always,
Linda

26 comments:

Debbie said...

I am patiently waiting for tomatoes.....I think green is good color too Linda:)

Rose said...

great find very good price. green tomatos are good breaded and fried. grape tomatos are sweet and a good snack. hope it was a good 4th.

Pam said...

That is a cute planter. I say go ahead and paint it the dark green. I've painted a few things that color this year. Great looking tomatoes.

Shelia said...

Hi Linda! Oh, what cute little tomatoes you have! I don't think I've ever seen grape tomatoes before!
Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sorry no help on the paint. I would think a good exterior paint. I need to go to the farmers' market this week and get some good tomatoes.
Have a great week.

Diann said...

Woohoo! Fresh tomatoes! NOTHING beats home grown tomatoes!!

Love that new planter. I am probably not the one to ask about color. LOL Since I am spreading my "color wings" this year. But, I am loving playing with different colors and they make me smile!

Manang Kim said...

Just watching your grape tomatoes I am drooling and thinking about my tomatoes too. Happy Tuesday!

Sub-sale find

Grannys Attic said...

I had my first tomato sandwich last week and it was so gooooooood! Love that planter and what a great price. I think you should paint it lime green then sand it a little to give it some old age charcter. Blessings, Vicky

Olga said...

Wow, your tomatoes look great, Linda. I spotted one red cherry tomato in my garden today too; cannot wait for more to ripen.
The wooden planter box is a great find. I love the heart on the side.

Pondside said...

I love that little planter - and the tomatoes ...can't wait to eat the first of ours if they ever ripen!

Holly said...

The planter box is great!

I have been trying to grow tomatoes...we don't have much sun at all..I run around moving the plants to the sun...ridiculous...but my kids eat these grape tomatoes like mad

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

It is exciting to get tomatoes. We are waiting, too. Cute planter. Green would look good I'm sure.

My name is PJ. said...

There's nothing like tomatoes of any size - right from the garden.

Dark green would be very nice for the planter - especially since it's outside on the deck. The flowers will pop!

Leah said...

Yay for tomatoes!! It's so exciting when things start to grow, isn't it?OI love a small tomato that you can just pop into your mouth. We grew orange cherry tomatoes last year, they were so sweet, just like candy.

CollectIn Texas Gal said...

Hi Linda....a few years ago I had a grape tomato plant that grew over 12 feet as it was supported by a trellis on the side of a potting shed. Not only was it huge, but had a kabillon tomotoes. They are soooo good! I like your plant stand AhNatural! Great find and pretty flowers.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Our tomatoes haven't turned red yet either, but there are some tomatoes there. Maybe a lighter shade of green for your planter. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Sherrie's Stuff
http://sherrie-plummer.blogspot.com/2010/07/2nd-time-around-tuesday.html

Mimi said...

Cute little tomatoes...still waiting for mine to ripen, what few there are.
Great plant stand...I would paint it lime, but think dark green would also look good..

House and Garden Boutique said...

Hi Linda, your tomato plants are looking good. My tomatoes have tiny quarter size plum tomatoes on them. Just noticed them this morning. Love the fresh tomato sandwiches! Behr has a solid SLATE stain, which is a black color. It looks so good on our adirondack furniture. It's a real popular color at the store. Would look nice on your deck too. Hope you had a fun 4th!

Julie Harward said...

Such cute little tomatoes! Love the planter too! Looks like a fun time at this cabin too! :D

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

My tomato vine has produced one tiny tomato. I picked it yesterday, but it's not quite ready to eat. I have been buying home-grown tomatoes, and eating at least one a day. I wish I had thought to plant some grape tomatoes. They ARE delicious. Love your new planter - what a deal! I'm so lazy, I'd probably leave it the way it is! laurie

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

I just did a tomato post too! Love your planter!

Chatty Crone said...

Congrats on your tomatoes! That is so wonderful. I would love to have a garden. sandie

Annesphamily said...

I would love to come eat those tomatoes with you! I love them! They are better then candy! :) Great planter!

Troy said...

Theres only two things that money can't buy, and that's true love and homegrown tomatoes!

I always get excited when I see them start to set on the plants, and then I can't wait until they are ripe. Nothing beats picking a tomato right off the vine, rubbing it clean on your shirt and eating it right there in the garden.

If I had to name my very most favorite food of all time it would be a homegrown tomato sandwich, on homemade bread.

Thanks for linking up again this week.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

We're growing grape tomatoes too. The only ones doing well for us this year are those and the roma tomatoes. No beefsteaks or heirlooms for us - maybe next year.

Shirley said...

I have little green ones too but mine are the Sweet 100's cherry tomatoes. Now today I discovered 3 ittsy bittsy watermelons. So cute!