Tuesday, February 23, 2010

TUESDAY TRIVIA

 I am joining Troy at I Refuse to Recede  for a new meme.  Check it out and join in the fun.

I am sharing my Sandwich glass pattern green glasses.
I found my first one last summer, picked up two one day in the thrift and got my 4th Sat at my pickin in Tennessee (see that post here)


 
I did not know much about these when I found my first glass but have since discovered that these glasses were a giveaway.
Part of this meme is to share some trivia so here is what I found out about sandwich glass pattern(not to be confused with original sandwich glass company located in Sandwich, Mass) 


 Anchor Hocking produced their version of Sandwich from 1939 to 1964. Many will be familiar with this pattern as they were used as promotional items at grocery stores and gas stations. Five of the items, in Forest Green, were included free inside boxes of Crystal Wedding brand oats. While these five pieces are abundant, the remaining pieces in Forest Green are much harder to find and are highly sought after by collectors. Punch bowls, usually in milk glass, were fairly common promo items at gas stations in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

I love the look and feel of these glasses.  I hope to find additional pieces of this glassware.  So far none of my pieces have been very expensive at all.  

Always,
Linda 

14 comments:

Diann said...

Hi Linda!

Isn't it just amazing all these fun pieces that were just given away as promo's are so loved today! Now I have to go and check some of my green glass pieces that I have in this dark green glass!

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Linda...

I'm coming over from Troy's Tuesday Trivia party! It's so very nice to meet you!!!

Ohhh...I love your green sandwich glass patterned glasses! I think that I have seen these before! Wow...and to think that these pretty glasses were a "giveaway" to customers! Thank you for including a little history of this glassware...it was really interesting!!! Oooh...I hope that you are able to find some of the "rare" sandwich patterned glass pieces that was mentioned in the article!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Julie Schuler said...

I have something like that- that real thick glass, but it's gold colored, and more goblet shaped. They are groovy.

Debbie said...

I love colored glass, and that is a great piece!!~

Chickens in the Basement said...

Fascinating! I would love to open my box of grits and find an old glass inside!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Linda! Love your Sandwich glass...so pretty! And thanks for the lesson! Hope you are having a happy week!...Debbie

Mimi said...

I love the color of that glass...but then anything green is my favorite! I wish they would start putting things like that in soap, cereal, etc., again.

Troy said...

Linda,

Thank you for joining my first Tuesday Trivia Tie-in.

Green is my favorite color and those glasses are my favorite color of green.

Just think, they used to give things away at gas stations, AND pump your gas, check your oil, and clean your windshield, all for less than 30 cents a gallon.

Now you are lucky to even find a squeegee. And they call that progress?

Great post! Hope to see you back again.

Troy

Audra said...

Love these green sandwich glasses! I have seen a few of these but didn't know that they were. I will be sure to keep my eyes peeled in case I find some I can let you know.

be sure to watch for the 100th post give away.

Susan Wicker said...

Love the glasses, Linda. Very pretty green. Sincerely, Susan from writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com

Jane said...

I remember promo items (usually some kind of dishes) that were given away at the gas station with a fill-up. Of course it was always full service back then with an oil check and windows cleaned too! (After I wrote this I read Troy's comment with the same thought!!)
The green sandwich glass is very pretty. I hope you're able to find more.
Thanks for the heads up on the party too...this sounds like one I would like to participate in.
Jane

Joyce said...

I wish they would give us free items in our boxes these days instead of just raising prices and filling the boxes 1/2 full with air. I hope you find more of these glasses and if I spot any out there I will gladly pick them up for you. Hope you go to the Diana exhibit.
Joyce

JennyMac said...

gorgeous glass!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Pretty green glass, thanks for the info on sandwich glass, I'm not familiar with it!

Katherine