Thursday, February 25, 2010

F IS FOR FLAMINGO

I am joining Jenny for ALPHABE-THURSDAYThis week is the letter F and I hope you go by and check out all the other interesting entries this week.

I am also joining Suzanne for Vintage Thingie Thursday over at  COLORADO LADY 
FLAMINGO!  This word brings to mind FLORIDA, right?  That is where this story of my collection of Flamingo's starts!  When Mister and I went to Sanibel Island, Florida for Thanksgiving week 2008 we had a grand time.  Since we would be celebrating our first Christmas together in December and I like to get an ornament from new places I visit, we wanted to find something that just said...FLORIDA and would be special to us. 

I wanted this large Flamingo made by Beadworx  
  It is 24 inches high so not an ornament but I was in love with this work of art,  handmade by using galvanized wire and beads.   
Check them out they are fabulous!  I wanted this, but instead got this... a key ring!

  Perfect for the tree as an ornament.  I love these great beaded creations and they can be ordered from Unique Gift Art.  They have animals, flowers, jewelry and many other creations to choose from.  I have some other pieces that I bought online from them and their service was great. 

We have several Flamingo ornaments but they are packed away.  I have however collected a few other Flamingo's. 
  
I won these trays (there are two of them) on Ebay 
 

Thrift shop chair picture frame with flamingos...one is missing but still I had to have this with it's pink flamingo cuteness
 

Another thrift shop find was this vase with handpainted flamingos
Now for some vintage goodies!~
 

This creamer was found at one of my favorite antique malls. I don't know the pattern name.  I have seen a teapot in this pattern and I want it, but was too rich for my pocketbook.
 

This is probably my most unique vintage flamingo...it is a candle holder.  I found it at Value Village and just swooned.  
 



This is marked Five and Dime Inc 1986.  This was part of a set of flamingo items sold in Woolworth Dime Stores.  I have seen other pieces of this and I heart them....one of these days.

 
This is a twizzle stick from my drink on Thanksgiving Day 2008 at the BUBBLE ROOM RESTRUANT  on Captivia Island,FL.  What a fun place and full of collectibles.  It's a feast for the eye as well as the stomach!

This is a flamingo I use every day...can you guess?

 
It attaches to my keyring and hangs on the edge of my purse so my keys don't end up lost in the bottomless pit. I love its happy look.

So this is my F is for Flamingo post.  Hope you enjoyed another little look at one of my collections!

Always,
Linda 



43 comments:

5thsister said...

Me thinks there's a Flamingo Fetish Festering within! :o)

Fantastic "F".

That candleholder is pretty cool, btw.

Debbie said...

I love all the flamingo stuff. I remember the first time I saw a Flamingo, in Florida naturally, they really are not PINK LOL!!~

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Nothing more FANTASTIC than the FLAMBOYANT pink FLAMINGO! Great post!!! Happy Alphabe-Thursday!

Susan Wicker said...

Dear Linda...What a fun and fabulous flamingo collection. I never knew anyone to collect flamingo themed things. Very very cute. The candleholder is definitely my favorite. Sincerely, Susan fromwritingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com

Claudie said...

My favourite is the VV candle holders. I LOVE that store. I don't think I have one Flamingo in the house...oh wait, yes I do.. I have little pink flamingo salt and pepper shakers that say FLA. on them. See I do have one thing, well a couple lol
Love the hand painted vase.
Happy F day...that sounds weird. i could add a few letters there from my tooth of course : (
Tomorrow morning 9am yuck hopefully my last appointment.
Have a great weekend Linda
Love Claudie
xoxox

laterg8r said...

i love the beaded flamingo - fantastic :D

Riet said...

Beautiful and lots of flamingo;s, I love these fantastic creatures.

Elizabeth said...

I used to be a major flamingo collector; nice to meet a feathered friend!

Postcardy said...

I like the old vintage flamingos. I only have one old flamingo figurine, which is really enough for me.

Charlotte said...

I love flamingos too. The candleholder is my favorite.

Lynn said...

Well, HELLO there! I am here at the suggestion of Keetha. Isn't she nice?
I used to have a flamingo bathroom. Everyone gave me flamingos until I could barely move in there.

Brenda said...

Great pink F. I wanted to get one of the plastic pink flamingo's to stick by one of our ponds. Hubs vetoed it. I remember my grandparents having a set in their front lawn along with half the little town I lived in as a teenager.

Julie Schuler said...

Flamingos are pink because they eat so much shrimp. I wish I could eat that much shrimp.

Jackie said...

Boy you sure have a lot of flamingo ! I like them .

Coloradolady said...

Love the flamingo stuff.....I love to find vintage flamingo things, but lately, they are always out of my budget....happy VTT and thanks for linking in today!

Troy said...

I can't see the word "flamingo" without thinkg of the Flame 'N' Go Hotshots, a crew of elite firefighters comprised of prison inmates from the Utah State Prison, that fought wildfires from 1985 until they were disbanded in 2001.

Some of these guys had pretty checkered pasts, but they volunteered to be trained, and then put their lives on the line for a wage of about $5 an hour.

The unit was dibanded after two members lost their lives in the line of duty, and their children were denied Federal Firefighter survivor benefits because their fathers were inmates.

It was determined that it was not right to put people into that position if the feds wouldn't stand up for them.

But for 15 years, Flamingo in Utah represented a brave and noble creed.

Jo said...

love your flamingos, especially the hand painted vase. total Fun!!!

Kathy said...

Who-hoo for thr Flamingo Post!!!!
PINK FLAMINGOS!!!!!
xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Jenny said...

I must admit to breaking one of the 10 Commandments! I am covetting those Flamingo trays!

What a F abulously F un F post!

A+

Keetha Broyles said...

Well, it appears that at least ONE brave soul came to visit you from seeing my Shout Out!! Woooo to the Hoooo!

Speaking of flamingos - - - years ago when hubby was a youth pastor, we used to do a flamingo fundraiser where we tried to SNEAK a flamingo into someone's yard. If they caught us in the act, we had to pay a fine, if NOT they had to pay a fine and then sneak the pink bird into another yard.

It was always fun and NO OVERHEAD.

Your flamingo collection is WAY BETTER than that old plastic variety!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Fun "F" treasures. The vintage flamingo candleholder is great!
Warmly,
Deb :)

Vonlipi said...

Super cute collection! I so adore flamingoes they're sooo pink!

Thank you for sharing!

Chickens in the Basement said...

Love your candle flamingo. Very unique. I want a cement one from the 50's!

Sue said...

Well lady you just have great collections left and right...Last week was your egg cups and coddlers and now your Flamingo's...they are very cute...and I'm glad I could make you laugh tonight....poor Boo couldnt understand why the dogs got thrown in the garbage...he thought at 1:00 in the morning I was going to cook them for him...

Viki said...

Wow, who knew there were so much stuff with Flamingos on them.

Barbara Jean said...

Fun collection!!

Love the key chain not getting lost idea.

blessings

barbara jean

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

Oh, Linda, there's a home near me that has pink flamingos in their front yard. Now I will think of you when I pass by it. Lovely collection, and I hope you find more.

Annesphamily said...

This would have been a great Pink Saturday post too!I love the idea you had here! So happy & colorful! Come join me. I love new followers and I have two giveaways going on now!

Happy Alphabet Thursday!

Heidi said...

Too too cute!
:)Heidi

Diann said...

Hi Linda!

What a fun collection you have! LOVE that flamingo candle holder. What a great find. The tray is so cute as well. Actually, all the pieces are fun!

Have a great day!

Amanda said...

Love your flamingo collection! That Beadworx flamingo is amazing-- maybe you can get it next time?

Betty (picture circa 1951) said...

That's an unusual collection and I love it! I like that candle stick. I hope you have a flamingo in your yard too.

Catherine said...

Flamingoes, what fun!

Patti said...

Have you been to the Flamingo Hotel in Vegas? That's right up your alley! I love how they stand on one leg!! You have a great collection!

GardenofDaisies said...

Love all the little Flamingos!!

sissie said...

Hi Linda,
Great Flamingo collection! My sister collects the vintage ones, which are getting harder to find.
I posted about them one time.
They can be addicting.

hugs
Sissie

mub said...

I never met anyone who collected flamingos before. I'm not sure why, they're pretty fun!

Terry said...

Great F word. I just love the pink flamingos.

I came to Florida in January to suprise my sister for her birthday and I had some pink flamingos to decorate with. I could of used that cute candle holder.... Terry

Romeo said...

Meowllo Linda!

Flamingos?! My dad LOVES flamingos - has two garden flamingo in his office looking out the window and two outside the window. "She" humors him because he likes them a LOT. In Florida near where Grammie and Gramps used to live, there was an Ace Hardware that would take these garden flamingos and have an "activity" each week. One week they might be out there mudding in four wheel drives, another week they would be diving off highboards and into galvanized tubs. It was hilarious and naturally they made the paper. Just a thought....

Anne - Fiona and Twig said...

I love the kitschiness of pink flamingos! And you've got some great ones! :-)

So glad to hear you're working on an Etsy shop...can't wait to see what you've got!

Hugs,
Anne

Jane said...

What a fun post...I love all of the flamingos!
Jane

GWENDOLYN said...

I love flamingos. they are such a exoctic bird, love the white ones too.
Blessings!
Gwen

Thrifted Treasure said...

I LOVE your collection!! So many people collect owls, it's cool to see something so different!