Saturday, August 10, 2013

Worlds Longest Yard Sale 2013

This year I helped my friends Kathy & Jeff with a booth they had at the WLYS!
This was their first year (and they said their last) doing the sale.  While it was 'fun' it was also an enormous amount of work.  Tents, tables, renting a truck to get all the stuff there, unpacking and then there was the rain! 
They set up on Sunday and maned their booth everyday.  The official sale is Thur-Sun but many of the booths are there for a full week.  Long, hot days! 
This was my 6th year of attending the WLYS and I have seen it change over the years.  With the change in the economy, many people shop but everyone is looking for a bargain!
 A BIG bargain!
Now I know they made sales but since it wasn't my booth I don't know if they made enough to consider it worthwhile.  I hope to have another discussion with Kathy about it all, but she is already back at work teaching Kindergartners!
Kathy & Jeff are like me and enjoy the thrill of the hunt.  Being 'pickers' would be a great job...the selling maybe not so much.  We all had a great time talking to the shoppers and everyone was so nice.  
They had about the best eclectic collection of items in any booth in their area.  I walked around and enjoyed visiting the other booths but bought most of my items from them.  They really did have the best selection! A little bit of everything!
It was fun to help them arrange displays as things sold and I really enjoyed my one day there!
I saw many many things I would have loved to bring home, but since I've been downsizing I held it to just a few items I really loved!
(see that post here)
 I was there on Thur so not sure how much was left by the end.  After taking these photos many items sold including some to me! 
 (my pink bowls are in this photo).
Lots of vintage bottles but I resisted! 
We were also lucky that the location they choose had a real bathroom 
(as opposed to porta potties) 
Wed there were so many rain storms they had closed up before I arrived.  Thur it was sunny and warm but there was a nice breeze.  We made sure to stay hydrated as we talked, shopped and sold!
You need help when you do this and their daughter was on hand all week to help out. I had a great time hanging out with her also.
While I really enjoyed my day with them, I must admit I was ready to close up at 5pm and call it a day.  I drove home that night (3 hours) but was glad to sleep in my own bed.  Kathy & Jeff had put me up on Wed night and even took me out to dinner! 
 I had such a great visit with them! 
This is my last photo of their booth.  They also had jewelry, sewing items and those wonderful pillows Kathy made!  So I must say, if you didn't see at least ONE item you would have bought then you have more will power then me! 

All in all I had a wonderful time, but I know for sure I would rather be a buyer then a seller! 

Thanks again Kathy and Jeff for your great hospitality and for letting me hang out with you!

Now the winner of the WLYS 2013 giveaway is

Vicky @ Life on Willie Mae Lane
Vicky please email me your address and I will get your yard sale goodies sent to you! 

I'm joining 

Wishing you JOY,

Linda

26 comments:

mrs. c said...

I am so sorry that I am just now getting around to reading this wonderful post about our WLYS booth! We had a terrific time visiting with you and I sooo appreciate all your help. It was a terrific visit and I am so glad you made the long trip to visit us. We did well but I am with you, I would rather be a buyer than a seller. We are looking into having a booth at the Knitting Mill Antique Mall, I think we would have better luck. We can sell antique, vintage, and handmade so I can sell my pillows and wristies. School is gearing up and I stayed at school till 6:30 last night. So goes the life of a teacher!

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh that is a huge sale - and where do they get all those things to do it every year? Amazing - it looks fun though. Hot too. sandie

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Selling is definitely a lot of work, but lots of fun too especially hunting down all the treasures to sell. Happy to hear you had a great time and were able to enjoy the company of good friends.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

What a great booth! Sounds like a lot of hard work with quite a bit of fun thrown in as well :)

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

So many really cool things. I am sure it was a ton of work. Hugs, Marty

Shelia Williamson said...

This would be so much fun to attend. Alas, it's too far from me. I know I'd be snatching lots of those pretties up! Congrats to your winner.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

20 North Ora said...

Oh, how much fun! They certainly did have a great variety of items - something for everyone! I would have been in big trouble I'm afraid! LOL

Judy

Lynn@Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

I see lots of piggies!!! Sounds like you had a great time Linda, but I agree, it's always nice to come home:@)

J said...

Just loved peering at these great photos for glimpses of things I remember from mom's or grandma's kitchen! Is that your little white table in one of the first shots? And then, even though I have no more room for anything - that little ceramic monkey in the front of one table appeals to me!
So glad you enjoyed your experience!

Pondside said...

What a lot of work it is to take part in the WLYS! You are a trouper!

Cheri said...

Sounds exhausting but fun. Just getting ready for a yard sale wipes me out, so I can only imagine what they went through. I am sure they were so glad to have your company and help.

Tree Hugger - Suzan said...

I know that you were a wonderful help! I hear about this longest yard sale - year after year - but stil have not gone on it!! Don't want to now that I have no place for "it"!! Guess when I open my shop --- your friends do have a wonderful selection!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

The thrill of the hunt is definitely the most fun, but it's thrilling to sell too. Packing everything, driving & then setting up the displays would have to be the tough part of the WLYS. Glad you had a good time....Congrats to the winner of your giveaway.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

I rather buy too! Selling is hard work! and, YES, everyone wants treasures "cheap"! The hard part is, what do people want! Having a little something of a lot of things is best!
What a fun experience for you!
Warmly,
deb

Kathe said...

The WLYS is on my bucket list! Your pictures had sooooo many lovely items I would have seriously consider buying. If I ever get to go, you'll go with me as my guide?? :-)

ImSoVintage said...

Wow, they really did have a wonderful selection. I live right by the WLYS and haven't been for years. Definitely too much work for me to sell there. Maybe I will go back next year. xo Laura

Jo-Anne Meadows said...

I have often wondered how much money those who have stalls at events like this make and if they ever wonder if it was worth all the work it too to have the stall

doodlebugmom said...

I just found your blog. I would have loved shopping there!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh goodness, I would have bought more than one...I would have had a ton of those bottles and that little white table, and the plates! That is on my bucket list, TWLYS

Carol

Susan said...

Hi Linda....So glad you had fun with your friends.

I kinda agree with you that it's more fun to be a buyer than a seller! ha haha

They seemed to have had a LOT of things! WOW WOW WOW

Take care and have a great day today! Susan

Liz@ Infuse With Liz said...

Oh my! That's quite an endeavor! I recently had a garage sale and it was a big job, I can't imagine hauling things to another location to sell like this! I bet it was fun to see what others had for sale too!

Dawn@ We Call It Junkin.com said...

I love all the planters, and my 10 yr old daughter would have been buying up all the little bottles. Great booth!

Donna said...

That is so sweet of you to help your friends, Linda! Sounds like a great sale, I see lots of things I love! We had Michigan's longest garage sale this past weekend, and I found some fun treasures too, though I was hoping I would find more:)

Donna said...

PS: I received my paper today,and I love it! Thank you so much! (I was going to send you an email, but I lost your address). You are SO sweet!!

the cape on the corner said...

oy. I know I would get so overwhelmed just looking at all this stuff. I love their displays using the dish rack and the suitcase for the bottles. I have no doubt it is a lot of work!

Vicky Hunt said...

Don't know how I missed this post! How exciting to have won all those treasures! I look forward to decorating with them and will think of you each time I do! You are a precious friend...:)

Blessings, Vicky
Life On Willie Mae Lane