Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Watercolor Wednesday

Since I have fallen in love with watercolors I've decided to do a post once a week on my progress.  This way if you aren't interested you can just move on.  
There will be more junk, Grands and Annie pics soon!

I'm obsessed!
Really! 
Watercolor is amazing!
Since I started the online lessons I've not stopped.  I think I'm improving but I do know I have a long way to go.  I'm learning about paint, paper and brushes!
BRUSHES!
This has been the hardest for me to find one's I really like.  I started with an inexpensive set since who knew if I would pursue this hobby for very long.
They worked, but as I practiced I could tell I wasn't getting the same brush strokes as the teacher.  So last week with a coupon I splurged on a good watercolor brush.
A Winsor Newton brush and 2 tubes of watercolor paint.  Using coupons from Hobby Lobby and Michael's! 
WOW!  I could not believe what a difference a good brush made.
A practice page and using the splatter so many teachers show to add color to the white areas of your paper. 
Honestly the one brush made all my other brushes seem even worse.  So I decided to buy a set one of my online teachers recommended.  
Aqualon Royal and Langnickle short handled brushes.  I found a set on Amazon at a good price and ordered.
After some practice I used one of the smaller brushes to make this little flower on a card.  I'm so happy with the control these brushes give me. 
I really enjoyed this little wreath and will try painting more of these
Supplies can really add up so I've been using more Michael's and Hobby Lobby coupons.  40% off really helps the price of paints especially.  Hobby Lobby had all their art pads on sale for 40% off (no coupon required) so I loaded up on their store brand paper in several sizes.  So economical and the paper is great for practice and my beginner skills. Michael's had Strathmore brand at 50% off so I bought one spiral bound book.
Learning about layers on this practice page .  Oh and yes I love flowers but I'm going to try to do a butterfly soon.  So stayed tuned for more Watercolor Wednesdays! 

Wishing you JOY,

Linda

21 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm enjoying watching your progress!
Never realized the importance of brushes...Although I should have. My husband says the same thing about brushes for painting walls, furniture, etc....

Simple and serene living Laura Walker said...

I'm so impressed, Linda. I think it is great that you have found something you love so much. It must be really relaxing. xo Laura

Miranda @ My Restless Soul said...

Watercolors are so simple and beautiful! You definitely have a knack for it.

oldgreymareprimitives said...

Good for you. Can you hear me cheering you on?

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Watercolours are such a pleasure. Good brushes are a treat. Hugs.
Joy

Cheri said...

Linda, your watercolors is coming along so well, I love your flowers. I am glad you found something other than thrifting that you love to do.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love water colors! It makes me think of Beatrix Potter in the movie Miss Potter. She tests to find the perfect blue for Peter rabbit's coat! You are doing so great. Makes me want to try! Thanks for always being there for me my friend. I appreciate the prayers! Hugs, Diane

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Any time the ad for a yard or estate sale mentions art supplies, we are there. My friend KK is an artist and you are so right, the supplies can really add up! Of course we also make a bee line for the sales that mention yarn!

Lynn said...

Lovin' your test painting with the splatter! Have fun:@)

Rose L said...

You are making me eager to want to try water color. I did buy some watercolor pencils to try out. It is fun to find an activity to enjoy.

Chatty Crone said...

I am so proud of you - you are so smart to be able to learn this and take it up as a hobby - you go girl. I hope to see you Monday! Love, sandie

Susan said...

Oh Linda, I think there is a true artist inside of you. Truly, you are very talented. Your wreath, the flowers, everything, look so beautiful! Congratulations! Susan

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

So pretty! I have heard that a good brush is important for painting! Keep enjoying.
warmly,
deb

J said...

As I read this, I kept thinking how watercolor matches your gentle, feminine personality! Very pretty results. Eventually you'll have a picture you'll frame and enjoy even more!

Jeanie said...

You are growing by leaps and bounds! And you're right about good brushes (less likely to lose bristles). Paper makes a diff, too, as you'll discover the more you use. Now when I'm plotting out I might use a less expensive paper, then Arches when I'm ready for the real thing. It's expensive (although I might get more than one painting out of a sheet). But it does take the paint so well! Don't you love it about hitting the sales? Those coupons are important! Keep it up!

Mereknits said...

Good idea to use the coupons LInda. I think you are doing a wonderful job with your new hobby. You are very talented.

Vicky Hunt said...

Wow Linda! You are doing so well...I can see improvement each time you share. I'm sure the brushes make all the difference...like everything in life, you get what you pay for. You were smart to start out with the cheaper ones though until you decided you wanted to continue. I can't wait to see the butterfly...I'm sure it will be beautiful!

Hugs, Vicky

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Love to read you are enjoying your painting so much Linda! Your paintings are lovely. I have treated myself to a few good brushes. If you add one here and there you'll soon have a great set.

Melanie said...

You are doing a great job! I can really tell the improvement you've already made. I'm glad you invested in some good brushes - with any kind of art, it really helps to have good materials. A few months ago, I bought some cheap brushes, canvases and acrylic paints at Michaels. Just their cheap generic stuff. Because I was going to try my hand at acrylic painting. Have I even done so yet? Nope! I'm such a great procrastinator. ;-)

Rue said...

I love how much joy this is bringing you, Linda. You are really doing well too! I think you could start selling your work on Etsy, even if it's just to buy more supplies. I especially love that wreath :)

xo,
rue

Annesphamily said...

Hi Linda, my goodness you are such a talented lady! I love what you are doing here.
I was looking at your sidebar. I can not get over the kids, how did they grow up so quickly? What a beautiful phamily you have.
I am going to start scrapbooking again. I ordered a bunch of new supplies. I was looking for an engagement card for my middle daughter and one for Linda in Kansas, her daughter too. They got engaged a few weeks apart. Everything seemed so expensive and generic so I am going to put my heart into this. They had a kit called Portrait of a Lady! I ordered it so I can make a tribute page to my big sis that I lost in 2001.
I hope you are doing well. I was updating my blog list as it doe snot come up on blogger these days so I wanted to pop over and say hi!
Take care and keep painting. You have a beautiful talent,
HUGS Anne