Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Almost Well!

How is that for a blog title? 
I am 'almost' well.
Still a little stuffy and coughing some but I am oh so much better.  I got out of the house a couple of times this week.  Took my Mom to the Dr and to the store for some groceries.  Yesterday I went out and got the Grands some Valentine things to surprise them. 
Did I take photos?  No!
I'm a bad blogger.
I did play with my watercolors a little bit this week.  It is fun.  I purchased some new pan sets, not the most expensive one's but some middle of the road paints.
This is a small set of Winsor-Newton Cotman watercolors.  Highly recommended in the videos I've watched.  
This is the practice page with my $5 Michael's paints,not bad at all.

 Jeanne from The Marmelade Gypsy is a watercolorist and said she likes Prima pan sets.  I bought a classic set on Amazon and really like the intensity of the colors.  I also did some brush control exercises.  The one below is using two different brushes and experimenting with what I can do with them.
  I also did some washes in the 3rd column.  
I'm about ready to move on to my first try at painting 'something' as I've done several exercises and watched most of the lessons in the class I'm taking and now I want to try painting something. Flowers?
I'll share with you next week even if it's a disaster.  I hope I'm not boring you with my new interest!

I have been good about staying out of the thrift shops.  Getting sick helped!  Still I did find a couple of cute things early February.
The only Valentine decor I put out this year.  The pink plate, little girl at the mailbox and the red heart (made by my Dad) that I've had a few years.  When I saw the red and pink thermos, I knew it had a place in my home.  It's rusty but for $1 very very cute! 

I have added two new items to my flower frog collection.  Both found at thrift stores for just a few dollars.  These are both marked made in Japan and I love the shiny glaze.

Annie has really been enjoying the sun puddles lately.  

I hope you are having a good week!
Wishing you JOY,
Linda



20 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

Such a pretty kitty! I always wanted a calico. I can barely paint a furniture surface. So I won't be trying water painting I don't think!
Brenda

Melanie said...

I am cheering you on with the watercolor - I think it's awesome that you're trying something new! Several months ago, I bought some acrylic paints, brushes and canvas. Watched tutorials online. But never actually did anything yet! I need to get my butt in gear. ;-) Annie is so pretty. My cats love to sleep in sunbeams, too. Glad you are feeling better!

Miranda Hunt said...

The water colors are so pretty! Makes me wish I was artistic. :) Hope you're having a great week!

Art and Sand said...

I am so glad that you are getting better.

Now you have me wanting to play with water colors!

Rose L said...

I am with Annie, wishing I could soak up some sunny warmth.

Diann said...

Im glad you are starting to feel better! the painting class looks like fun. Haven't done any thrifting in about 2 weeks. Next week my mom and I are heading to the thrift stores with our 50% off total purchase coupon so, I know I will be coming hoe with new treasures!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Linda,
I'm so glad that you are feeling better. It seems as though some kind of bug has gone around touching nearly everyone.
I sure wish that I had the nerve to try painting with watercolors or any type of paint but I would probably create a mess!
Love your new kitty. Gabby and Gizzy love chasing the sun puddles too.

Stay well.
hugs,
Sissie

Junkchiccottage said...

Glad you are feeling better Linda. Kitty has the right idea soak up those rays! Have a good rest of the week.
Kris

Susan Freeman said...

So glad you are on the mend! I have been thinking about sketching once again and I have never done much work with watercolors, but want to. You are my inspiration dear friend!

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Chatty Crone said...

Well you have taught me some things I didn't know. I did not know there were classes on line to water color. I also did not know there were different watercolor paint sets - some deeper in color than others. I hope you recoup all the way soon!
Love, sandie

Nancy Blue Moon said...

I'd love to see how your water coloring goes Linda..I may be interested in trying it myself..If you ever want to good look at joy and contentment...just look at a kitty lying in a sun puddle!

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Tis the season to get sick. I'm glad to read you are almost better. Super you are painting! Looks like you are doing great. I am doing the same with acrylics. I found tutorials by an artist on you tube that I've tried. Fun whatever the outcome, lol.

Sweet vignette! Is that a bordallo pinheiro plate?

Susan said...

Hi Linda. So glad you are "almost well." Love your Valentine treasure finds. I think water painting will be fun! Susan

Marigene said...

Wow, that cold/flu has really hung with you, Linda. Hope you really are on your way to recovery.
Annie is such a pretty kitty.
Looking forward to seeing your watercolors...
Have a wonderful healing week.

Jeanie said...

You will never bore me with your watercolor journey. Doing all the right things, too, with charts and brush practice. I'm glad you're finally getting on the mend. Hope by now you are back full force (I'm a little slow because I've been down under most of the week!) Happy weekend.

Mereknits said...

Love that you are taking on the watercolors, can't wait to see what you make. Have fun, that is the important thing. I have had this illness for three weeks, it keeps coming back in a different form, just when you think you are over it here it si again. Take care of yourself.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Good to hear you're beginning to feel better. All those pretty colors would cheer me up and make me feel better too. I know you'll create something wonderful!

Rue said...

Hi Linda :)

I'm so glad you're feeling better! The flu has been everywhere this year it seems.

I think it's neat that you're trying watercolors. I'm no good at it, but I'm always impressed by those that are :)

Did you know your cat Annie Belle and my great grandmother share the same name? I find that amazing!

Anyway, hugs to you and a speedy recovery,
rue

Jann Olson said...

Linda, I'm so glad you are feeling better! Your water coloring looks wonderful! I tinker a little, but would love to take classes. That thermos is a beauty. I would have to snag one if I ever ran across one. I have plenty, but none like that! :)
hugs,
Jann

Susan said...

Oh dear friend, I do wish this horrible cold would leave you once and for all so you could get back to your routine! I'm playing with water colors too and will post a piece in a few days, but I love you seeing you play with colors. XOXO