I am in the process of moving as you read this!
I thought since I was trying to move on a budget I would tell you what I've done.
First I have friends that were able to get me lots of boxes in many sizes! FREE!
I did buy packing paper and spent approx $40
I know newspaper is free but it is beyond dirty and I will never use it on my dishes again! It gets on your hands and makes everything black. So the investment in paper is worth it to me. I will save it and reuse to wrap things that I store!
Oh yes, I create a mess when I pack and stage things for loading but it is the only way to do it yourself. This time I did all my packing myself and so tried to put boxes where they could stack without me having to lift them after packing.
I mark the boxes with a large black marker so 'hopefully' I can find what I want when I unpack.
I also discovered (thank you Diann) that the large Priority boxes are perfect to wrap plates in. They fit well and the boxes aren't too large. You have more boxes but I could lift them! Those dishes weigh a ton!
I started putting furniture and totes in the carport so it would be easier to load the truck.
I did get some help with a few of the large pieces.
Most of the totes were already packed, but I had to bring them up from the basement. My back was hurting a lot. I rested often and did what I could.
I rented a U-Haul and got a good deal. They gave me an extra day free and with insurance this part should only cost around $200
(of course when I got the truck home it started raining, so no loading yet)
Wednesday, bright and early my daughter Sara and son in law Blake will be here to help load the truck. Thank goodness for some young backs!
These kiddos are 'free' but I will pay for their gas, lunch and of course a tip!
(I hope this went well as I won't have a chance to update until later in the week)
Then it's on to my new place!
I'll be without internet for a few days, but
Please join Diann and I at Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday!
I'll be around to visit as soon as I can!
Tired But Happy,
Linda








40 comments:
You are always a darling little powerhouse of positive action! I am thinking of you and sending love and prayers!
Happy Hugs,
Jemma
Good luck with your move! It wears me out to look at all those boxes! Your new place looks pretty. I'll be helping you move (in my mind)!
Cheery wave from
Bev
Have a safe journey Linda.
Linda, it's an amazing amount of work to make a move. Looks like you are very organized and have it all under control. Safe travels. Don't overdo. You have time to settle in before your big trip, and you don't want to strain your back, etc. ~ Sarah
Moving is a huge job! Have a safe trip and we'll see you when you're settled in!
Have a safe trip.
God Speed, sweetie.
Be safe.
I'm so proud to hear that you're resting up and not totally overdoing it!
Wishing you Joy in your new home, you did a great job. I also collected boxes and lots of bubble wrap from unpacking things at my old job! I hired a man-with-a-van (personal friend of a co-worker) and he moved me for $200. so similar! A dear friend took the day off to help me move in, and stocked my fridge with necessities like milk, juice, eggs, bread, fruit. A Godsend. xo
Hope your move goes smoothly!
Good luck on the move! It's silly to say, but, don't overdo!
Am leaving Saturday so won't be around for a couple of weeks. Talk to you when I return home.
Have a good move and be careful!
Judy
I thank you for the moving tips! You are such a generous person.....thank you again for all our treasures . Jeff and I have had a wonderful time unwrapping all our terrific treasures. Let me know how your new place is!
Wow! You have accomplished a lot!
When we moved, I used the clean linens to wrap my dishes. That way, nothing needed to be rewashed. Of course, I have added a couple of sets of dishes since we moved to replace the sets I had cleared away, so the next time will be a different story.:-) xo Nellie
Be careful of your back. I did all my own packing too. A neighbor was nice enough to help some. Then there's the whole unpacking thing. But it's much more fun!
Brenda
Good luck with everything, Linda!
I'm wishing you the very best in your move! You sure got a nice big truck for a good price! And I never use newspaper...I don't even let them use it at the thrift store. I hate the black ink...even the feel of it! Take care of yourself sweet girlfriend!
I can see this is being done with a good attitude and I'm happy for you. Hope it all goes well for you and Charlie.
Oh, Linda. I know from experience how arduous moving is. It can be sooooo overwhelming.
You are doing a great job! You are so organized! Wowsers. And thrifty, too. Good for you, my friend.
You know I wish you the best. Susan
Good luck on the move. I always feel so much better when all the boxes are out of the truck and in the new place and then you can sit back and take a deep breath.
I for one love your new place. Love the color of the brick and the handsome black door. Neat, lady!
Good luck with the move and getting it all there safely. I agree about the newspapers... never again!
Love to you, my friend, and best wishes in your new home...
XO,
Sheila
Best of luck to you Linda as you move to your new place. Hope Charlie likes it too.
hugs
Sissie
I am filing away in my brain the great idea to use the priority boxes for my dishes!! I hope you get a chance to rest those tired bones friend!
Okay I am trying to be brave - but I do miss you already. However - I wish you the best. Your apartment looks wonderful and I know you will decorate it so beautifully - so take pictures and I will see you soon pal. sandie
WOW, you have been very busy! It's a lot of work for you!!! Glad you have some help and I'm looking forward to seeing your new place when you are all moved and settled in!
Take care!!!
Warmly,
deb
Wow Linda! You had a lot of packing to do! I know you are excited to begin this new chapter of your life...:) I also know your daughter and Tiger must be thrilled to have you closer. Blessings my friend and enjoy setting up your new place! Love it!
Vicky
Life On Willie Mae Lane
Moving is such a hard job. I'll be thinking about you! Take care not to hurt yourself.
Dear friend,
I'm sending you love and positive energy for your move.
Take it easy, take deep breaths and take breaks; everything will work itself out.
Be well
Miss V :)
Good luck to you on your move, Linda. So glad you will be near your family!
I REALLY hope everything went well, and I'm looking forward to an update! Moving is one of the most stressful and physically taxing things in life, and I feel for you! You are quite the trooper to take on all the packing by yourself!!!!!!
I hope all is well and that you are loving your new home!
WOW!! Congrats on your new place... I always hit Sam's club first thing in the morning as they have lots of free boxes then..
I don't know if I will keep all of the Pendelfin pieces because I am still processing just how much there is of it!! LOL!!
Thanks so much for hosting and for stopping by! Good Luck with your move..
Hugs,
Deb
Hi sweet friend...I'm in the process too, but about 5 weeks away. I've got so much to do and a trade show thrown in there to boot! Wish our move was local, but it's a BIG van taking our stuff across country--very expensive! I better sell more dies:-D XOXO
Now, you need to go slow and enjoy the process of creating your own new space! I know you are going to see all these stacks of boxes and it will drive you insane. But, just think, if you go slow you can take pictures of your progess easier and get a ton of posts out of the whole deal! LOL
you are the queen of organization from what I can see! :)
How exciting! Moving is so much work, but it's always an exciting time as well. Hope all goes well with your move.
~Taylor-Made Ranch~
Wolfe City, Texas
Such a big job! Wishing you all the best on your move and your new home!!
Wishing you safe travels!
I don't envy you the moving part, but I hope you love the new place! Good luck. :)
This will definitely keep your mind and hands busy for a while. Once you are there, you are there. So take your time and don't kill yourself! Moving can be very hard work.Sending positive thoughts and Hugs! ~Ames
Good luck on your move, Linda! Thanks for the packing tips too.
Erica
Good luck with the move Linda. I hope it's all going well!
WOW!! Linda - You have been busy!! I can tell you have don't this a lot before!! I was spoiled when we were military - all you had to do was to take down the pictures and curtains and run around putting a copy of your orders into each box before they closed the boxes because you never got all of your boxes back and you usually received someone else's. God Speed with your move! Spare your back!!!
Post a Comment