Monday, March 22, 2010

COLORED EGGS & PAAS











I am joining in three fun parties today.....Nifty Thrifty Tuesday with Linda at COASTAL CHARM , 2nd Time Around Tuesday at A Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words, and Troy for Tuesday Triva Tie-in at I Refuse to Recede

I love Senior Discount day....25% off my purchases at
Salvation Army today!
The light is shining on the plastic but this is a very cute vintage Easter Table Decoration
Cute chick sitting on a honeycomb tissue egg centerpiece
Someone had donated some 'vintage' crafting supplies
The eggs & bunnies are from Michaels
New the little chenille bunnies were 25 cents, I paid more then that for them even with my discount!  Inflation??
 They are so cute but could not get a good photo of them in the package, think I might have to take them out.
I found four of the egg shape dishes, can't tell by the mark who made them, but I think they are really cute
Dated 1983 some vintage 
PAAS Easter Egg Pure Food Color Kit
I can't remember a time when we didn't use these to color our Easter eggs starting when I was a child, my children and even today.
Got me to thinking....PAAS (here comes the Trivia part)



The original PAAS Easter egg dye was invented by an American named William Townley.
Mr. Townley owned a drug store in Newark, New Jersey, where he concocted recipes for home products. In the late 1800s, he came up with a recipe for Easter egg dye tablets that tinted eggs five cheerful colors.
Neighborhood families started buying Townley’s Easter Egg Dye packets in 1880 for only five cents and mixed them with water and white vinegar to create the perfect egg dye!
Soon, Mr. Townley realized that he had a wonderful product that other families would like to use to brighten their Easter tradition. He renamed his business the PAAS Dye Company. The name PAAS comes from “Passen,” the word that his Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors used for Easter.
Today, Americans purchase more than 10 million PAAS Easter Egg Color Kits during the Easter season, and use them to decorate as many as 180 million eggs!
Now—more than 125 years later—we believe Mr. Townley would be proud of PAAS’ perfect colors. The original is still the best!
from the PAAS website HERE

I don't think I ever realized how old this company was.  They have made a great product that has lasted all these years.  Do you use this to dye your Easter eggs?  Where did the tradition of Coloring Easter Eggs come from?  
Decorating and dyeing eggs for Easter began in England during the Middle Ages. Christians often dyed their eggs red to symbolize the blood of Christ. Colored eggs were also exchanged as romantic gestures between lovers. During the Medieval period, were given by masters to their servants at Easter. The household accounts of Edward I in 1290 recorded a lavish expenditure of eighteen pence for four hundred and fifty eggs, which were painted in gold leaf and colored for Easter gifts. During the reign of Edward I of England, members of the royal household exchanged gifts of dyed, gilded Easter eggs. In Germany and other countries, eggs were hollowed out, dyed, and hung from shrubs and trees during the Easter Week. Perhaps the most famed Easter eggs were those made by the well-known goldsmith, Peter Carl Faberge. In 1883, the Russian Czar, Alexander, commissioned Faberge to make a special Easter gift for his wife, the Empress Marie. This first Faberge egg had an outside shell of platinum and white enamel, and opened to reveal a smaller gold egg which in turn displayed a golden chicken and a jeweled replica of the Imperial crown. The egg so delighted the Czarina that the Czar promptly ordered Faberge to design similar eggs every Easter. In later years, Nicholas II continued his father's custom. The Resurrection Egg was created between 1885 and 1890, and became one of Faberge's most beloved masterpieces. The egg is exquisitely crafted in the style of the Italian Renaissance and depicts Christ rising from the grave.
 Whew.........to read more about the history of the Easter Egg you can go HERE

So whether you PAAS dye, natural dye, shrink wrap(remember those?) or use other methods to decorate your Easter Eggs, I hope you enjoy and remember....HARD BOIL THEM FIRST!

Always,
Linda 



27 comments:

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Linda,
Congrats to the winner.
I can't find any PAAS color kits at the thrift stores this year. Guess I'll have to buy a new one.
Warmly,
Deb :)

Chatty Crone said...

That was some good information. Thanks. My daughter bought PAAS for my grandson and they have hard boiled the eggs and colored them already.

Great price with your discount.

And girl - you go to too many parties - you're a wild one - 3 at one time - just kidding.

Love ya,
Sandie

Diann said...

Hi Linda!

Fun vintage Easter items you got!

Wow, who would have thought PAAS has been around that long! That was fun to read about!

Yup, we still use PAAS. This will be the Princess's first year colring eggs. I need about 4 dollar store plastic shower curtains to cover the entire dining room table area! LOL

Congrats to Sandie and her win!!

Nancy said...

Oh my gosh, that was wonderful information! I have used PAAS many times in the past! Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations to Sandie!

Nancy

Anita @ Far Above Rubies said...

LOVE vintage! I have not tried coloring any eggs yet but I will have to get some dye and let the kids do it!

Tumbleweed Trails said...

Congratulations to the winner.

What a great assortment of Easter goodies you came upon. Seems funny for 1983 to be intage now. It seems like that was only yesterday.
Jody

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

Congrats to Sandie. I've used PAAS since I was itty bitty. Still do, even though the kids are old. That's really interesting. I didn't know they were coloring eggs in the late 1800's.

Jane said...

You posted a lot of great info. I didn't know PAAS had been around so long. I remember using vinegar and food coloring when we dyed Easter eggs when I was a kid. It was always a lot of fun.
Jane

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Linda, you found such great treasures. So interesting about PAAS. Now why can't I invent something so simple and make lots of money! laurie

hip chick said...

I haven't decorated eggs since my children were little. But, I do love shopping at second hand stores. You have found quite a bit of great stuff there. Imagine 1983 being thought of as "vintage" I don't even want to think of what that makes me...

My name is PJ. said...

Congrats to the winner! Paas kits remind me of when I was young and when my kids were young.

I love the egg shaped dishes!!

Julie Schuler said...

We'll be using some PAAS on Good Friday. My mom never had white vinegar so she always used apple cider vinegar. The smell of apple cider vinegar will always mean Easter to me.

TAPESTRIESOFNATURE said...

GREAT FINDS AND GOOD INFO! THANKS!

Polly said...

You found some great vintage Easter things which are soooo very hard to find these days! PAAS from 1983 - how cool is that?!?!

And Congrats to Sandie on her win! How exciting!!

Polly

~~Carol~~ said...

That's so funny, I was just wondering the other day how old the PAAS company was! I always enjoyed dyeing the eggs when I was little, but my favorite part was pouring the leftover dye on the snow outside!
Great finds, especially the old crafting materials. I want to see something fantastic that you created with it all!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Linda! Love your finds...especially that Easter egg wreath...so cute! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Linda...

My friend, you found some great Easter treasures for such a great deal! I love the egg wreath and I bet that little bunny paper fold-out centerpiece is just darling! I haven't used one of those in years...kind of forgotten about them! I use to get those all the time when my kids were little...hmmm, that's been awhile! Hehe! I also really like your little egg dishes...they're darling! Thank you for sharing your sweet Easter finds with us, Linda!!!

I also really enjoyed the trivia! Like you, I had no idea that the PAAS egg dyes went back that far! Wow! Ohh yes, we always used PAAS dye to color our Easter eggs! It really was a genius idea! Can you just imagine the money that that man and his family has made! I knew a little of the history of where and how Easter eggs and the tradition of it came about. I loved reading about the Faberge eggs...they really are exquisite! I'd love to have one or two...or more! wink!

Again, thank you...this has been a delightful post, Linda!
Chari @Happy To Design

Together We Save said...

I love east decorations!!

sissie said...

Hi Linda,
I never knew the background on PAAS, but I think we all recognize the name from our childhood days.

Love all your little thrifty Easter finds.

hugs
Sissie

Troy said...

Um.. Excuse me... 1983 is NOT vintage... That's the year I graduated from High school, and I assure you it was just a few short years ago...

Why the ink isn't even dry on my diploma yet...

Thanks for linking up this week. What fun to read the history behind something that has beeen a part of my life for all of my life.

Troy

Sylvia said...

Hi Linda, you found some great finds...love the egg shaped bowl. To answer your question about my silk tie dyed eggs....No the eggs were not precooked...I cooked them with the silk material wrapped around for 15 min.

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment...I love comments. lol

Sylvia

Manang Kim said...

I like that egg shape bowl. Thanks for sharing!

2nd time around: Vision wares

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Whoever donated all those supplies must have know you lived in the area! Have fu with them!!!!

Cathy said...

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and celebrating my "Cottage Style" feature. It's comforting to know so many people are enjoying my home. Your sweet comments are very much appreciated.

Have a great day,

xo Cathy

Linda said...

Linda,
Thanks for the info about SENIOR DAY at SA...that's new to me! Paas sure has made a lot of kids very happy...luv that stuff! Hppy to see you at the party..hope you have a wonderful day:)

Blessings,
Linda

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Neat Easter items, and great bargain!

Your give-away was very nice, congrats to the winner!

Katherine

Lady Katherine said...

Loved the history about Easter Eggs! I want your tea cups! lol I have matching plates, and just today my daughter went junking and brought me a saucer like your cups! I also told her keep an eye for a silver sugar bowl and creamer, and here you have one! lol She did bring me some gravy boats,platters that were silver. What a great finds you have! I love junking. lol