Monday, June 14, 2010

JUNE WEEKEND FINDS

It was a very hot and humid weekend here in Georgia
Still I managed a few yard sales and Estate Sales
This is the first group of photos I am sharing
(more on Wed & Thur)

These items just looked so sweet together
I got the clear leaf shaped dish and the miniature soup tureen  at a yard sale where most everything I bought was 50 cents each!
Including this blue and white plate
It isn't old but I think it's quite pretty
I bought two pieces of jewelry
The little flower pin is marked Danecraft and for 
50 cents very cute!  The necklace is a barrel charm and the stones are Alexandrite which is a June Birthstone beside Pearl
I think it is really pretty and for $5 I bought it
Here are some interesting facts about Alexandrite...
The Gemstone Alexandrite is the color changing variety of the mineral Chrysoberyl. The June Birthstone, its color varies from red to green depending upon the light source.

Alexandrite is named for the former czar of Russia, Alexander II, and was first discovered in the Ural Mountains of Russia, supposedly on the day of his birth.

Chromium gives alexandrite its color and while, in most minerals, a trace element like chromium would provide only one color to the mineral, in alexandrite it gives it two.   In a single specimen of alexandrite, the chromium is in such a balanced situation that the color of the specimen depends on the character of light that hits the crystal. If the light is natural sunlight or fluorescent light, the crystal will be green; however, if the light is incandescent light from a common indoor light bulb, then the crystal will appear red.  

Synthetic corundums spiked with trace elements that yield an alexandrite-like color change are sold as alexandrite on the gemstone market. These stones have a red-violet, near-amethyst color in incandescent light and a blue-violet color in daylight. They are far cheaper than natural alexandrites, which are some of the rarest and most expensive of gemstones. 

I am sure this is synthetic but it is quite pretty in the light!  I usually choose pearl as my birthstone but this was a nice present to me for my 60th!

This was one of my favorite finds of the weekend
It was at an Estate sale, end of the day and marked down to $4
It is marked on the bottom Tiara Exclusive
I love the colors of this paperweight

 I am joining up with these fun parties and hope you will visit them to find more bargains, thrifty finds and trivia!











    





And Last but not least




Troy at Tuesday Triva Tie In






 Always,
Linda 

30 comments:

Manang Kim said...

Wow I so love your find they are all gorgeous!


Just cutie

Patti said...

Great finds...love the blue and white dish!

GWENDOLYN said...

Linda,
You have more fab finds, yeah for you! I am loving that blue and white dish.
Blessings always~
Gwen:)

Debbie said...

Hot here too my friend...but I see that did not stop you from finding some fabulous stuff. Love the blue and white dish..my favorite.

mrs. c said...

As usual you have a great eye for some real pretties! I love estate sales and need to go soon. Do you like to go to auctions?

Sue said...

Since I am collecting blue and white plates, I have to say that I just love your find!! The cutouts on the rim make it so special. And what a fun find in the paperweight; it has great colors. Thanks for stopping by for a visit.
:-) Sue

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sooooo lovin' that "COOL" paperweight!

Blessings,
Linda

Audra said...

Oooh Alexandrite! That's my birthstone! I have a few pieces of jewelery with this stone and none of them look the same, it varies between purple, green, grey, red and sometimes a tint of blue. I have always asked for Alexandrite instead of Pearls because it seems to go with everything.

Love your finds! Thanks for sharing.

Anne - Fiona and Twig said...

You always find the best stuff!

Have a wonderful Tuesday!
Anne

KarenSue said...

Hi linda, Great finds for you!
I have learned something today. I'm a June baby(57) and have never heard of this stone. Does that sound silly? Oh well, I think I will stick to pearls. Thanks for the info, very interesting.
Enjoy your week!

Diann said...

Oh, nice finds Linda! That little soup tureen is adorable! And of course the blue and white plate is so pretty! Okay, I'm ready for more show and tells! LOL

Caroline said...

I love that mini soup tureen Linda...so sweet. Lately I have been into anything mini, probably because we just finished a doll house for my daughter! Thanks for stopping by, you scored some neat things.

rose said...

love all of the items espo. the blue and the paperweight. rose

D said...

Great finds for you, and great prices, too.
Love the blue and white dish.

D

Chatty Crone said...

Linda where do you find all these thift sales? sandie

Mom Walds Place said...

Thanks for sharing! Some more photos of the soup tureen would be wonderful.

My name is PJ. said...

My favorite is the blue plate!

Pam @ Frippery said...

Beautiful finds. I hadn't known about alexandrite. Thanks for sharing. Happy Birthday!

susan said...

Linda-I sympathize with the heat. The heat index here was 110 yesterday! Love your finds--I am not usually that lucky or maybe I just am not a good shopper! The paperweight is beautiful. Thanks for the congrats on the mixer. I am going to start baking soon!

Brenda said...

You have found some very pretty things. I really like the blue plate.

Douce France..... said...

I love the blue plate! And the flower pin...
And the necklace...Just love everything!
Thank you for sharing!

Sherrie said...

Boy if the two of us were out shopping together, we would really need a truck, no make that a u-haul. But think of all the fun we would have. Good eye for treasure hunting.

The Lazy Peacock said...

what great finds - and such deals! that jewelry is beautiful!

Mary said...

Pretty finds, Linda. I love the Alexandrite barrel necklace you found - perfect for your June b-day! The pin is pretty, too and the blue and white plate. A little soup toureen, how cute :) The paperweight is in such happy colours.

Creations By Cindy said...

Love it all especially the blue plate. So pretty! Be blessed. Cindy

Jeanne said...

Well, your thrift shopping yielded some great treasures. Thanks for the info on the stone. I sure didn't know anything at all about it. Good to know. smile. Love the colorful paper weight.

Hugs, Jeanne

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Great stuff you found. I think I like the paper weight the best. Those colors are fun colors. Not normally something I would by, but for some reason I am drawn to it too. Must be the colors. Thanks for visiting my blog & leaving me a comment on my thrifty finds.

Laura said...

How fun. What great finds!

I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog and I'd love it if you stopped by.

Laura @ along for the ride

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Linda, your 50 cent finds are all beautiful. Such interesting facts about Alexandrite. I'm not even sure I've ever heard of that stone. The paperweight is so pretty, and of course, I love any blue and white china - that one is so unique. You sure know how to shop! laurie

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love the plate even if it isn't old!

Carol