Wednesday, December 6, 2017

When Things Run Their Course

run its course means "to continue (naturally) until finished".

To progress along something's 
natural course and conclude at its 
normal pace.

Don't panic...I'm not talking about my blog!

Let's back up a bit!
Texas trip was a success but not without it's problems.  Mostly that Mom got sick on Thanksgiving with a nasty cold and is still not feeling well. Still we got to visit family and enjoyed lots of talk, laughter, jokes, memories and sweet hugs and kisses! 
The view from our beach front condo on Padre Island.  
The view of the condo from the beach.
Not bad at all!

It was pretty warm but lots of wind.
Cloudy mornings with mostly afternoon sunshine.  I took a couple of walks on the beach, collected seashells for me and the Grands and relaxed!
Next to us was a public beach.  You can drive your car onto the beach and set up camp.  Fishing, grilling and fun!
They had the Berkeland spelled wrong but the thought was nice.  
We had 62 for Thanksgiving Dinner! 
There was a group photo taken on the beach but I don't have a copy of it yet.  I'm looking forward to getting that memory.  
Before leaving Houston we were able to visit with my niece Amanda and her son Ethan.  Mom enjoyed seeing her Granddaughter and Great Grandson!
I miss them so much!
Beach feet!  I've been taking a photo like this for years! 

The travel home was hard since Mom didn't feel well.  Thank goodness for wheelchair assistance, portable oxygen and helpful flight attendants! 
Picking up the kitties and getting home felt so good! 
I missed Annie so much.  She forgave me rather quickly although she is not sure about this 'tree' in front of her window.  I love this photo of her.  Napping under the Christmas tree was always a favorite place of Charlie's and it warms my heart to see Annie there! 
Getting home on Nov 28th put me behind in my Christmas decorating!
So I hauled out the tree and got it up right away.  It took a few days to get out the ornaments but they are mostly on the tree now. 
I started working on the cubbies filling them with vintage Christmas.  Then I sat down and realized it looked cluttered to me.  So I decided to edit my vintage to the items I really love. 
The top cubbies are good! 
My collection of nativities is too crowded so I'll rearrange that soon.
I love everything in this cubbie!
It feels good to let go.  Some things I'm sending to my friend Donna and others I'm donating back into the wild. 
So here is where the phrase 'when things run their course' comes in...
I realized it was truly time to downsize my Christmas.  This isn't the first time I've done this, but this time it was 'use it or lose it' time. 
This tote of ornaments and decorations most of which hasn't been used in years is going to my church.
This box of ornaments and various decorations is going to the thrift shop
This box of ornaments is going to my daughter's house.  Some for her if she wants them, some for the Grands (they each have their own tiny tree they decorate) and what they don't want...donated!

I am looking at two empty totes and more space in my ornament boxes! 

As I've gotten older it has been harder and harder to haul out those totes, decorate, put the totes away and then clean up after Christmas.  I still love to decorate but I decided I can't keep things I no longer use.
**The ONLY exception is shiny brites some from my childhood that I don't display around the Grands or the Cat**
I will still hunt for vintage Christmas. This sleigh and Santa are both 2017 thrift store finds and keepers!
But I no longer will buy everything I think is 'cute' or 'old' or 'tiny' or ...
I just can't!
I thrifted all of these items this year and some are staying, some are gifts and some I'm returning to the thrift shop...sigh!  
I'm not done going through all the Christmas yet, but I've made a great start.  Sometimes things just run their course!

Wishing you JOY,

Linda

22 comments:

Simple and serene living Laura Walker said...

I love your Christmas decor. It feels good to downsize it. I have gotten rid of a lot of mine, but still feel like there is more that I want to go. I'm really the only one here to look at it and although I still enjoy it, I'm getting tired of dragging it out and then having to put it all away again. HOpe you mom is feeling better. xo Laura

oldgreymareprimitives said...

So proud of you tootsie! Remember fresh greens are easy to decorate with and recycled at the end of the season. I get a car full at Lowes back where they trim the trees. My Lowes let me take as much as I want for free. It's work to trim it all off the trunk when I get home but again free... and no storage :D I'd love to take clippers there and do it but I feel that's imposing too much.

Good job on the purging no- great job

Chatty Crone said...

You had 62 people for dinner out there - oh my you have a big family.

Hey you can decorate for Christmas without even putting out a tree! I love those knickknacks - I know that they have have a meaning and memory for you.

I hope your mom feels better soon - I have been really sick myself!

Love, sandie

Mary 120 Spring Street said...

Girl, I am not even putting up a tree this year! I've gotten rid of tons of Christmas stuff, and I'm putting simple vignettes in the den and dining room. That's it. I love making it simpler and simpler as I get older.

Lynn said...

Glad you had a nice visit with family Linda, hope your Mom gets well soon! Lovin' your cubbies! Happy Holiday Season, enjoy the kids:@)

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

How lovely to have a family reunion and have time at the beach! I sure understand about letting go of "cute & small" things. I'm going to less sales and not going to the thrift store too much. I want my life to be "easier" at home My craft room will be having a Huge clean out after the 1st of the year!
Your tree is nice and your cubbies are a joy to see.
warmly,
deb

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

I am so with you on starting the downsizing Linda, piece by piece. Thank you for sharing your wonderful family reunion today, very much appreciated. My only decorating has been a wreath on my front door. Hugs and love for you and for your Mom too.
Joy

My thrift store addiction said...

Sounds like such a fun trip, Linda! I'm ready to purge again after the holiday season, too! Blessings to you you my, Friend!

Shelia said...

Hi Linda! Glad you had such a nice trip but sorry your little mother got sick. Hope she is feeling better now that y'all are home. I love that snap of little Annie too. What gorgeous eyes she has. I haven't done as much decorating either this year. I want to but my body doesn't want to do it! ;) Hope you're doing well, sweet friend.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

We are: Clamco said...

Your sweet Annie is precious and I'm sure she missed you. Hope mom is feeling better. I'm so proud of you for letting go of some of your decorations. I too donated two totes worth of stuff to St Paul's thrift shop this week. Every year, my decorations get pared down more and more. It's just too much to drag down the boxes from the attic, decorate, put the boxes away, then un-decorate, get the boxes back down, pack them, then put them all back up again. Ugh! I may be like Joy eventually and just hang a wreath.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Linda,
I've tried weeding out some of my Christmas decor as well and I had a lot of those, "I can't even" moments. It's so hard when you love stuff. But I know I need to do this so maybe I'll do better after the Holidays.
Glad to know your Mom is doing better. I'm also happy for you that your family reunion was a success. Love all your cute ornaments and decorations and your tree looks pretty.
Take care my sweet friend.

hugs,
Sissie

Donna Wilkes said...

So sorry your mother became ill on your trip. I know how much each of you were looking forward to it. Love seeing the beach and dreaming of sand between my toes and the salty sea breeze. I did some buying this year for temporary collectibles and then donated them back. I consider it a contribution to the charity. I thought of you yesterday when unpacking my orphaned Baby Jesi.

Cheri said...

First off I hope your mama is doing better. Second...I hear ya, Linda, about the decorations...I do my purging after Christmas when I am putting things away. Good luck with that...it is hard sometimes to let go.

Jeanie said...

I'm sorry your mom wasn't well for Thanksgiving but I'm sure it meant a lot to her and everyone in your (large!) family to all be together for the holiday. And your sweet Annie is adorable -- love those big eyes!

Your Christmas is festive. I am behind too and I have no good excuse like travel! Your collections are such fun and so full of spirit and cheer! they make me smile!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I am going through my Christmas stuff, too...you're right...you can't, and don't even want to keep everything. I love your Christmas figurines!

Stacey said...

Oh I love Padre Island! It's best during school when the beach isn't so crowded. That's a fun place to have a reunion. ;)

bj said...

Sorry your mom felt so bad...hope she feels better soon
I think a lot of us are downsizing Christmas this yr. What I haven;t used this time is going to family, thrift shop and garbage...
Your tree is so pretty and your cubby is always so cute

Mereknits said...

So sorry to hear your Mom fell ill on the trip. That is exactly what happened to us but it was Little Buddy who had it. I love your decorations. I have been ruthless these past two years and have gotten rid of so many decorations. It is a lot easier to put things away when you have less to put up!

Shara said...

If you saw the amount of totes I have, you would faint. But, I still enjoy decorating and then putting my things back out in January. I deleted a lot of stuff last year and I am happy to say that it all went up this year. It's nice to have a side angle of selling vintage Christmas - I can buy it, foster it and then pass it on to people that appreciate it. PS ( spy my little cake stand - happy it made the cut. <3

Sarah said...

Linda, I'm glad you had a good trip, and I hope your mom is feeling much better now that you are back home. I love seeing your cubbies filled with Christmas treasures. Growing up, we had a divider between our dining room and the foyer to our home. The divider was glass cabinets on the dining room side filled with Mother's good china, crystal, and cut glass. Between the two cabinets were open shelves divided into twelve spaces. Mother had her collection of angels display there, one for each month of the year. Your cubbies remind me of that.
Happy Holidays to you!

Susan said...

Oh Linda. I know what you mean about things running their course. There are items in the attic right now that need to GO. Hope your Mom is feeling MUCH BETTER by now. Glad your trip was good, despite your Mom not feeling well. Take care. Susan

Melanie said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful, warm getaway but so sorry to hear that your mom got sick. I hope now that you are home, that she is on the mend soon. I have been doing the same with my Christmas stuff every year. Getting rid of more and displaying less. Feels good; I don't miss anything.