Saturday, December 31, 2016

Reflections!

I ended last year with the sad passing of my brother.  
I was hoping for a better 2016,
 but it wasn't to be.

February 6, 2016 I lost my sweet Charlie.
That along with the loss of my brother sent me into a depression that has taken a good while to come out of.  With my immune system down I got sick and for months didn't seem to be able to get well.  It was a hard time.
But great friends to the rescue...
These gals came over and gave me a pity party which cheered me up so much! 
The love of friends is amazing.

May was crazy but we moved my Mom from her Independent living apt to the duplex next to mine and it was great!
I love having her next door and being able to spend more time with her.  She is much happier here, this feels more like a home to her!
June arrives!
Birthday month!
Fun right? Not!!
Just as I'm getting 'well' and feeling 'better' I have acute pancreatitis and gallbladder surgery.
I think will the good times return ever?
The summer passes in a blur of unpacking and setteling Mom in.  Time with the Grands and of course some junkin!  Then my friend Carter sells his house and moves in with Mr. Toes his cat until he can find a new house.

What is expected to take a couple of months max turns into several months.  In fact he just moved out a few weeks ago.  He is a great friend and I was glad he had somewhere to stay while he house hunted.
So during times of loss, stress, depression and worrying about my children, I did what I often do and that is shop.  Thrift shop, junk shop and find treasures.  Not spending a lot of money but buying stuff.  To fill up my life?  my home?  my broken heart? 
Now that Carter has moved out I realize my home has once again become stuffed to the gills with stuff!  It's time to make some changes in 2017!

The best things about 2016?
The Grands of course.  They are the light of my life and watching them grow and be a part of it all just makes me the happiest Grandma ever!
They are ending 2016 with some time on the family farm in South Georgia!

I also found this sweet girl 
She has helped heal my heart! 
This year I also got more involved in my church.  Joining a Women's Bible study has strengthened me.  I've made new friends and that has filled my life also.

I don't make resolutions but do set some goals and here they are for 2017!

*Get the Clutter out of my Home!!

*Take better care of myself, which includes eating healthier and getting more exercise.  I'm not getting any younger!

*Take time to enjoy special moments with my Mom, my children and my grands!

*Blog more!

*Pray more!

*Enjoy Life More!!


I still choose JOY!

Happy New Year to all!

Linda 

31 comments:

We are: Clamco said...

Happy new year to you Linda. May the coming year bring you lots and lots of joy!

Tree Hugger - Suzan said...

Hi Linda!!
My heart goes out to you!! This year has been difficult here as well!
Mom had a stroke in Oct., I rode out Hurricane Mathew in the ICU with Mom in St. Augustine which flooded her home with 3-4 ft. of water. She lost all her furniture. I had to retire from teaching in order to set Mom up in a nursing home and work with FEMA on her house. Augie passed the week after the hurricane and we are driving back and forth now, trying to rebuild Mom's house and helping her out in the nursing home!!
2017 HAS TO BE BETTER for both of us!!
God's Blessings Linda!!

Terra Hangen said...

2016 was a rough year for you and for me, with the unexpected death of my husband in November. I love that your friends gave you a pity party, I think I read about that on your blog at the time. Lets both aim for JOY in 2017 and pray toward that. One new thing for me in 2016 was I read the Bible in a year which I loved doing.

Vicky Hunt said...

Praying you have a better 2017! Seems like everything is starting out nicely anyway. :) Wishing you and yours a blessed and beautiful New Year's!

Hugs, Vicky

Shelia said...

Linda, I know it's been a rough year for you but you've held your head high and God has brought you through and is strengthening you now! Sending you love and hugs and here's to a new year.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Necie said...

Here's a toast 2017 will definitely be a better year!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Wishing you the very best for 2017 Linda. Hugs.
Joy

Regine Karpel said...

Happy New Year.

Cozy Little House said...

I am so glad you have family and friends nearby! And so sorry for the sadness of 2016. Well, we'll purge and organize and get things straightened out for 2017. I'm going to try to stay out of stores! If I don't go inside, I can't buy anything.
Brenda

Donna said...

Sending you lots of hugs and wishes for the very best New Year! xoxo

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This is such a beautifully written post, Sis! I think sometimes we try to hide some of our true feelings and our struggles. But we all have them and we can help support each other through the good times AND bad. I'm wishing you a happier new year! I choose JOY for us both! Sweet hugs, Diane

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Linda,
Sorry that 2016 was a hard year for you with so much loss. Hoping and sending prayers that 2017 will be better. Wishing you greater health, happiness and unexpected Joy surprises throughout the year. Happy New Year.
xoxo
Kris

Chatty Crone said...

You have been through a rough year!!!!!!!!! I know you will be glad it is over. I wish you a great 2017. Happy New Year!

oldgreymareprimitives said...

I will not miss 2016 at all and I pray 2017 somehow brings us peace... Not counting on it but praying anyway.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I hope 2017 is a better, happier year for you and me and pretty much everyone, not terrorists they can have a shitty blowing themselves up and firing guns the backfire and blow off their hands so they can't wipe their own ass, just saying

Lynn said...

Happy New Year Linda, I wish you all the best in 2017:@)

Audrey said...

Wishing you a JOYful year with the best of health and happiness.
Hugs,
Audrey Z.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I found 2016 to be a very difficult year, too, Linda. This morning I was praying for a good 2017 and thanking God for getting me through last year!
Hope you are feeling better soon (I have that cold/laryngitis, too) and I wish you a happy, healthy 2017!

Diann said...

Happy New Year Linda! I know you have had lots of ups and downs this past year. I am impressed with how you have dealt with the "downs". I think you have come out of them with more strength than ever before. And your "ups" have truly felt joyful and blissful. Wishing you the best year ever in 2017!

Karmen Sunshine said...

I don't look at Blogger much (FB has taken over), but I enjoy taking a look at your blog now and then.
Karmen

Susan said...

Hi Linda.

A happy new year is wished for you and your sweet family!

I'm so sorry you had such a rough year in 2016. Let's hope and pray to God 2017 will be much, MUCH better.

Love visiting your blog so was happy that blogging more was on your goal list. That was good news.

I know what you mean about clutter. It goes on and on and we have to make it stop. ha (Good luck to us.)

Take care, Linda, and may you be blessed with good health and fun times in 2017. Susan

Mereknits said...

Great goals Linda. I hope you have a much better 2017, I hope we all do!

Hugs,
M

Melanie said...

You had a very hard 2016, Linda and I agree that 2017 is the year that you need to start taking care of YOU! Healthy living; i.e., eating clean, whole foods and exercising is a great way to start, and I promise that you will not only feel better physically, but mentally, too. Here's to your health and a year full of blessings. {{hugs}}

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Love your reflections post Linda, and wish you a much happier and healthier 2017! You deserve it. I've got a few similar plans on my list for this year.

Art and Sand said...

Even when things let you down, I feel JOY when I read your posts.

Here's to a fabulous 2017 for you!

Cheri said...

Happy New Year sweet friend! I hope that 2017 is a better year for you and we get together more.

Jeanie said...

What a year. I trust the new year will bring you joy.

I had to smile when I saw the photo of Sweet Annie and your mention of how she helped you heal. When I lost my orange boy, Gypsy, I was so dark for so long. I couldn't believe how deep that pain was. And then I met Ms. Lizzie, who greatly resembles your sweet girl. She made me laugh -- and has continued to now for four years.

They are our great healers, aren't they?

Sending you love and light in 2017 and much well-deserved joy.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

It's been quite a year with lots of ups and downs. You have a good attitude and loving family and friends. Here's to a year of decluttering! I hear ya, lol.
All the best to you in the new year.

Susan Freeman said...

I'm so sorry that life was so rough and filled with heartache in 2016. I know how that feels, as I went through a couple of years like that too. Take care of yourself. Rest when you need it. Things will look better, I can promise you this. In the meantime, I am sending you love and hugs and praying that the dark clouds will disperse and you will know joy once again.

Love,
Susan and Bentley

luvsclassics said...

Hi, I came to visit your blog from Diann's Thrifty Groove. So sorry that 2016 had some rough times, but love that you had friends to surround you with good cheer.
Reorganization or de cluttering is an on- going goal for taking care of two homes, my mom's and mine.
Balance is essential, so during the year, I plan days to learn new things using the resources of my library, sewed a denim jeans purse, sewed a small cross-body bag( purse), attend weekly coloring book sessions and tea for relaxation. I also learned the Art of the breathe, and at Yoga center, listened to Kirtan drumming and learned that reciting mantras take the mind off of worry.
Here's to new beginnings for 2017!

Susan said...

I hear you my friend. I thought 2016 should be forgotten as well for so many reasons. I loss my favorite aunt and Christmas felt so empty; it was like losing my mother all over again. I am exercising and feel so much better, but then my hubby had to have a total hip replacement and an ulna nerve repair and that took a lot out of me. I have resolved that 2017 we will get together, you'll show me your favorite thrift places, we'll laugh and share our grandchildren stories. Love you, XOXO