Tuesday, June 28, 2016

JUNE! The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

I am ready for June to be over! 
Now you know I normally love June
It's my birth month and I always party all month long...not so this month.
But I had the best of intentions.
June 9th saw me turn 66 and all was good.
 I celebrated with Mom and then another celebration with Sara and kids.
My friend Carter who is owned by my houseguest Mr. Toes came to visit us.
We celebrated by going to the Flea Market near me that I have never been to in the 3 yrs I've lived here?!?!?!WHAT
It was so much fun and I found a few goodies to share in another post.
That afternoon we decided to go eat and I chose Waffle House.  I love (or use too, do you see it coming?) their patty melts.  So we ate and it was good and greasy as those things are meant to be.  We shared a Pecan Waffle as dessert. 

All that greasy food just sat in my stomach and hurt.  It was a long night but the next morning I felt better.  Just too much grease and all I thought.  I have issues with reflux and take meds for it so didn't really worry much.  I was OK on Sunday & Monday but not great.
Then Tue morning after Carter left my stomach was hurting a little bit.  Mom and I were suppose to go to WalMart (and thank goodness we didn't).  My stomach pain continued to get worse and worse, I broke out in a sweat and finally threw up.  I got Mom to take me to the ER....yes the Emergency Room. 
This was no ordinary pain and I knew it!
I was also checked for my heart since there is history of heart disease on both sides, but as I guessed it was my gallbladder.
UGH!  I had acute pancreatitis and gallstones with one large one blocking the duct.  The admitted me to the hospital and planned to remove my gallbladder, but first had to get the pancreatitis under control.
 
It was early evening by the time I was admitted and I was panicking because the next day was my big birthday luncheon celebration with my friends in Atlanta!  I didn't have my phone until Sara brought it to me.  I contacted everyone and they gave me a pass considering I was admitted to the hospital!  :)
Oh but it gets better! 
I was NPO (nothing by mouth) and I do mean NOTHING!  for two days.  IV antibiotics and just wait and wait.
This was on the ceiling above my bed and made me smile.  All the nurses were wonderful and so surprised at my good spirits.  Apparently I was quite sick but the women in my family have a high pain tolerance so I powered through most of it.  I will admit to a couple of pain meds but sleep was needed.  
Carter sent me this gorgeous bouquet of flowers and it cheered me up so much.
I had calls and visits to help pass the time.   Carter came and took Mr Toes so we didn't have to worry about him (he will be coming back later this week). 
They finally got my blood enzyme levels down to normal and did the surgery on Thursday.  It was laparoscopic surgery but you have to have intubation, and that was a first for me.  Of course I don't remember any of it!!
I stayed another night since I was pretty sick.  Usually this surgery is outpatient and you can go right home but I'm glad they kept me another night. 
My first meal in days and it was delicious (well not really but it was food).  Sara got me home and between her and my Mom have been taking care of me.  It was rough couple of days but I'm doing great now! 
Thank you to everyone who prayed for me and sent me messages on Facebook. Emails, cards and gifts.  You are all so special.  I am still limited in lifting things and driving but I'm healing well and feeling so much better then I have in ages!  Who knew all it took was a simple (ha ha) gallbladder surgery! 

Wishing you JOY,

Linda

34 comments:

We are: Clamco said...

So glad to know the surgery went well and that you are feeling better. What a way to spend your birthday month! No food for more than 24 hours would have given me an unforgettable migraine. I would have pleaded for them to give me coffee through the IV, lol.

oldgreymareprimitives said...

Good to hear you are on the mend. Be careful now

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

So glad you are home and have some loving care right now. Keep being careful. Belated Happy Birthday too !
Joy

Donna Wilkes said...

Continue to work on getting your junk stamina back so we can plan a junkin' trip. So glad you are better.

Audrey said...

Sorry you got sick, but good to get that problem taken care of. I know you will be feeling better soon. Wishing you a quick recovery with renewed energy.
Hugs,
Audrey Z.

Rose L said...

Pain is so bad! I have been in pain for 35 days now and will not have it relieved until July 7th when my surgery is scheduled for a total knee replacement. So I am sorry you had to suffer any pain. But it is now taken care of and hopefully no more.

Marigene said...

Holy crap, what an ordeal you went through! Hope your recovery is speedy and uneventful, Linda.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

That isn't how to celebrate your birthday!! Now that you are feeling better, CELEBRATE your birthday. Happy that you are on the mend!
warmly,
deb

Barbara said...

OMG. I didn't see that coming. Last one I ate made me sick too. I'm glad it wasn't that bad. Glad it's over and you're on your way to recovery.

Chatty Crone said...

Boy you were blessed and lucky - pancreatitis can be a killer. I know that for a fact. That was more dangerous than the gallbladder girl. I am so glad you are home and that it is behind you. Happy birthday and we missed you - but we did understand. Love, sandie

Melanie said...

So sorry to hear that you had been so sick and had to have surgery. I will keep you in my prayers for a healthy recovery. Then you can resume celebrating your birthday - but no more patty melts! ;-)

Shara said...

I'm glad you are feeling better. People say it's an easy surgery - and it is compared to having your chest cracked open - BUT it is still surgery and takes some time to get over! Been there, done that! Did you have to have the second procedure where they went down your throat to get the stone off the duct? That was the tough one for me. Anyway, I take it easy and take care of yourself!

Claudia said...

So glad you're feeling better, my friend! When I had my blocked bile duct, it was right around the 4th of July and because not many doctors were around, I had the bile duct blockage taken care of and then I had to go back at the end of the month for a separate surgery to remove my gall bladder. All because it was a holiday weekend. Normally, they do both procedures together, as happened with you. And that's good, because you don't have to go back!

Take care of yourself, let your mom and daughter pamper you. Don't lift, don't drive.... blah, blah, blah.

xo
Claudia

Liz@ Infuse With Liz said...

So glad to know you are doing better! It's good that they kept you at the hospital a bit longer so you could continue to get better before you went home. I guess the good thing is that it's all behind you now. Take it easy and best wishes for a nice 4th of July holiday.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

My goodness! This will be a birthday month to remember. It's a good thing you went to the ER to find out what was really going on. Sometimes we just think it is something we ate that doesn't agree with us. Take care of yourself and let everyone else help you for a change. Sending you lots and lots of hugs Sis, Diane

Necie said...

I am so glad your mom was close and got you to the ED. You are such a trouper! I am so glad you are mending nicely.
You missed a very nice lucheon and your presence was missed. Take care of yourself. Love you!

EM said...

Oh Linda! I am so sorry that you had to do all that. My mother had a lot of gall bladder issues when when I was a very young boy. I remember the pains she had. However, this unfortunate interruption to your birthday celebrations, does allow you to continue to celebrate into July, according to the official rules. Sending you kind thoughts for recovery and hugs, and Chiquito sends purry kitty rubs and kisses.

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Holy moly Linda you have been through it! So happy to hear that you are on the mend at least. Enjoy some extra celebrating when you are well, something to look forward to. Thank goodness for Mom, friends, and Mr. Toes. :)

Deanies Stash said...

Linda, that is not how birthday months are suppose to be spent! So very sorry that you had to go through all that. I am glad you are home and on the mend. I think you should have a big celebration now! Hope to hear you are feeling much better. Happy 4th of July!

xo Dianne

Mereknits said...

Oh Linda I had no idea! I am so glad you are okay and doing much better. I am sending you healthy birthday wishes.
Meredith

Knatolee said...

Oh I hope you feel much better VERY soon and you get lots of kitty-comfort. And thank you so much for all the lovely comments you leave on my blog. I am always happy to see you there!!

Shelia said...

Oh, my poor friend! I knew this was happening as I saw it on FB. I'm so sorry you had to go through this ordeal, I know that's a mild word for what you've been through. So glad you had family and Carter around to help and talke care of you. So glad to know now you're feeling better. Those pains are scary! At first it sounded just like what Mr. Precious went through but it turned out to be gastritis and he's still not quite there yet! You don't over do and take care of yourself.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Susan said...

Oh my, what a way to end the month! I'm glad you're feeling better and just remember to take it easy my tough friend, XOXO

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Oh no! I'm SO happy to hear you're feeling much better now, but what an ordeal. What a blessing it is to have your family nearby to help you out during a time like this. Take good care of yourself, Linda. Sending hugs and prayers for a speedy and full recovery!

Jann Olson said...

Linda, I'm so glad that you are doing better. I ended up in the emergency room in Pocatello one time when hubby and I was on a get away. They were going to do surgery, but the pain subsided and I decided to wait until I got home. After 3 more attacks I scheduled it and have been able to eat what ever without any pain since. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
hugs,
Jann

Shelia said...

Hi sweet Linda! I hope you're continuing to recover nicely! Happy fourth and lay low and don't eat too many hot dogs! ;)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Donna said...

Oh, Linda! I'm so sorry for your ordeal and hospital stay. But so glad you are ok and in such good spirits! What a trouper you are. Hope you were able to enjoy a nice birthday in spite of it all!
hugs

Vonlipi said...

Oh Linda,

I am sorry I am late in wishing you a speedy recovery!

Take care of yourself and stay away of bad foods.

Wishing you a wonderful B-Day full of joy and love!

Hugs,

Valerie xxx

Barbara F. said...

Darn patty melt, glad you are feeling better.

Terra Hangen said...

I am glad to hear you got the right treatment and are on the mend. Since they removed your gall bladder do you have to avoid certain foods? Be well, sweet friend.

Vicky Hunt said...

So glad to hear you are on the mend and feeling so much better! I am sure July will be a better month. Happy 4th!

Hugs, Vicky

Tree Hugger - Suzan said...

Ohhhh my Linda!!
This happened in June, so you should be doing great now on the 4th of July!!
Be careful with what you eat today, but do ENJOY!!
Bet you still tire easily!! take care of yourself and get completely well!!
Have a wonderful 4th!!
Suzan

Shelia said...

Hi Linda! I know your June was packed full and again, I'm so sorry you had to have the health issue but hopefully you're feeling much better. Continue to take care of yourself.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Annesphamily said...

Oh Linda, I once shared that pain too. I am just happy you are doing so much better. I love the angel you have shared. I am happy you had a good birthday before the pain hit. I think you and Diann are the original thrifty shopping gals! xo Anne