Thursday, October 29, 2015

X Means a Kiss!


X MEANS A KISS! 
Now the Question
  Why does an "X" mark stand for a kiss?
In medieval times, most people were unable to read or write. When it came time to sign a document, people who could not write usually made an "X" mark. Of course, an "X" is not much of a signature. To add a sense of commitment, it became customary to kiss the "X" after writing it. Kissing the "X" was "performance law," a ritual act that bound the parties the way legal documents bind us today. This act, witnessed by the person who wrote the text, represented a solemn guarantee of the truthfulness of what was written, and an oath to carry out whatever obligations were stated in the document. Over the years, the "X" and the kiss became interchangeable. Today, people who can read and write might still add one or more "X" marks to their letters, maybe with a couple of "O"s thrown in for hugs.


 I love this bracelet of x's and o's given to me several years ago



This was a favorite seen at a quilt show last year! 

Joining Jenny for

Wishing you JOY,

Linda

17 comments:

Lady Linda said...

I never knew the history behind the X! I used to sign my cards to my two daughters with XXXOOO. When I stopped doing it, they got all upset, so I still do it even though they are all grown up! Great post.

Consider It All Joy said...

Very interesting history! So glad you shared! Have a wonderful upcoming weekend! Blessings, Cindy

Terra said...

I like your bracelet with the x's and o's, how romantic. It reminds me of a bracelet that was my mom's, and now is mine.

Oliva Ohlson said...

Thank you for sharing the history of "X" = Kiss! I learned something new today! Your bracelet is beautiful! Have a wonderful weekend!

Sarah said...

Linda, I never knew the history. Thanks. Beautiful bracelet and darling quilt.

Lynn said...

Happy Halloween Weekend Linda! Have fun with the kids:@)

Susan said...

Hi Linda...Didn't know about how the X got its kiss! Learn something new every day.
Hope all is well. Have a super weekend. Susan

Liz@ Infuse With Liz said...

What a neat story- I had no idea! Love the bracelet and quilt! Have a fun Halloween with your grandkids!

Chatty Crone said...

I learned something new today! Thanks and lovely quilt and bracelet.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I had no clue about the story behind X and O. Thanks for sharing, Linda. Love that quilt.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Now I know the why-for's of the x, thank you very much. That must be where "sealed with a kiss" comes from, too.
The View from the Top of the Ladder

Audrey said...

Great story Linda. Thanks for the great information.
I have an X&0 bracelet I wear all the time. Lovely gift from Mr.Z.
Blessings,
Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

Deanies Stash said...

Glad to know that about x. I never had heard that! Thank you for the info. Have a Happy Halloween.

xo Dianne

EM said...

I can't believe you're all the way up to "X" already. XOXO

PS Happy Halloween!

Shelia said...

Hi Linda! I didn't know all that about the X! I'm sorry you're feeling bad too! Take care and feel better soon! Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Betty said...

Very interesting. I never knew. I'm always tempted to write an X in the little box at the cash register when I charge something. It never looks like my signature and I can't help but wonder if the clerk would say anything. One of these days.

messi awaludin said...

so keep posting other new article.
pengobatan untuk sembuhkan bell's palsy