Thursday, August 6, 2015

Family Treasures #4

This time I'm sharing sweet items from my Mom's childhood!
My Mom was born October 18, 1930
The first of six children!
I am so blessed to have her baby book.
This is the book and this photo of her parents holding her.  I was very close to my Berkeland grandparents and so love seeing these photos.
Taped inside the front cover is the receipt for the Dr's bill for her home delivery $15
and the birth announcement
I love the illustrations
Being the first child, her parents kept up with lots of her firsts!
This photo is important because it is one of the few where my Granddaddy had hair.  He was bald at a very young age, so Mom loves this photo.
My Grandmother was only 18 when my Mom was born.  If you think the baby photos of my Mom look like my Granddaughter Rosemary, I think you are right!  Blake has said since she was born, she looks like GrannyB!
I love this photo with the bonnet!
My Grandmother was very sentimental and sent my Mom these baby clothes to her after she was all grown up.  These little gowns were made by my Mom's Aunt Golden.
I adore this bonnet with the old ribbons. So sweet!

These photos are so cute!  
Virgie age 3 and 5 1/2 yrs old!
She still has this great smile!
Her family!  Well one more 'surprise' girl was born in 1940.  The only boy (in Grandmother's arms) was suppose to be the last child.  
This is my Mom in 1st grade.  They had a contest to see who dressed up as the best baby, and she won!  The dress was made in 1903 and was an actual Christening dress from her Aunt Golden.
The dress which is over 100 years old is not in the greatest of shape, but is a family treasure.
My Mom was a very small girl and able to wear this at age 7.  I love the details of the collar.
All the little tucks and small stitches
Those of you with vintage fabric expertise might tell me how to preserve this even more if possible.
I have more treasures to share from my Mom next time! 

Joining 
Vintage Inspiration for their 200th party!

Wishing you JOY,

Linda

16 comments:

Valerie Ratliff said...

I love all your treasures. I too was going through my mom's stuff yesterday and it just makes me miss her more.

Hugs from Oklahoma,

Valerie
Cottage Making Mommy

Mereknits said...

You have some wonderful treasures my friend. This was a lovely post honoring your Mom.
Hugs,
Meredith

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Linda,
It's so wonderful to have such wonderful treasures of the past. I do not have any photos of my Mom as a baby and I often wonder what became of them. I'm sure you will treasure these for years to come.

hugs,
Sissie

Cheri said...

Wonderful heirlooms, Linda. I can see your girls in your mama. One picture makes me think of your Sarah and another one makes me think of Ashleigh. My sister has all my mom's items and back at her funeral in May I asked for one of her hankies and have yet to get one.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I love this post!!! You are so blessed to have all the sweet treasures; they look like they're all in great shape for their age. Love the pictures and I do see the family resemblance. I'm so happy you shared them at Vintage Inspiration Party.

Kathe said...

I saw the first photo and thought, that's Rosemary! And you have your mother's smile too! Wonderful treasures Linda!

Angela ~ Call Her Blessed said...

What an AMAZING thing that you have all these treasures!!! I would give my eye tooth for someone way back when to have documented & passed down pieces of heritage and history such as you have. What a blessing! I know you must hold these items very near and dear to your heart. Thanks for sharing with all of us. <3

svelteSTUFF said...

OH MY GOSH!!
Your Grandmother B. was a beautiful woman ~ and YOU look just.like.her!!
Keep these treasures near and dear :-) !!

Vicky Hunt said...

What a blessing to have so many treasures to preserve and keep passing down. I do see a resemblance to Rosemary! So sweet! That dress is so pretty. I have no advice on how to better preserve it, but I know you must cherish all these sweet mementos. Have a lovely weekend my friend!

Hugs, Vicky

Susan said...

You are so lucky to have such keepsakes! Memories to be cherished, XOXO

Curtains in My Tree said...


OH how lucky you are to have those treasures
It was so fun seeing all of the pictures

Rue said...

Oh wow, Linda! Those keepsakes are wonderful I love the pictures and the dresses are beautiful.

I found this article on antique clothing care: http://www.vintageconnection.net/CleaningStoringVintageClothing.htm

I hope it helps :)

xo,
rue

Sarah said...

Linda, these are amazing family treasures. Fun to see them!

Donna said...

Hi Linda,
Wow, that is amazing you have so many treasures from your mom and grandma! I just love that little bonnet, and the gowns too. You just don't see that kind of workmanship any more. I can't get over how much you resemble them both, especially your grandmother!! Thank you for sharing:)

Donna said...

PS: I forgot to say that I have the dr. bill from when I was born. My mom was in the hospital with me for a week (which I guess was pretty common in those days!). The bill was a whopping $350 for everything. Can you believe it?!!

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

I know I am late, but had to say this post is amazing! What wonderful treasures and memories of your Mom. The old photos are fabulous! :)