Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Family Treasures #1

Family Treasures
I think many of us have them
Are they packed away? in a closet? in the attic?
I thought I would unpack mine and share them with you in a series I'll call 'Family Treasures' 

For this first post I'm sharing some items and photos from my Dad's childhood.  He was born in 1930 on July 7th and would have turned 85 yesterday, so with him on my mind I started here.
I recently received all these items when my Mom downsized and passed them on to me. 
Conrad Paul Buschmann and his Mother, Evelyn
Sweet baby shoes
I especially love the blue hat **correction from my Mom, the little blue hat was my brothers...whoops but it's still cute** and the little sock garters.  Very sweet!
I love these photos.  These are tinted photos.  Before color photography, they would take the black and white prints and tint them.  My Mom worked at a photographers studio for awhile and told me about this process.  This is Dad with his Mother and it looks like a stuffed elephant!
One of my favorite items is this swim suit.  My Dad whose name is Conrad was called 'Connie' by his family.  As he grew older he hated it! In the service he got the nickname of 'Bush' and was called that most of his life! 
More photos and a pair of glasses.
These are from the 1930's
I like this photo of Dad and his Mother very much.  She died when he was just 15 and he went to live with his Aunt and Uncle.  He didn't have an easy childhood but went on to make a great life for himself and his family.
Dad's High School Graduation photo and his year book!  I'm really blessed to have these great memories from my Dad's life. 
Next post will be about my Dad's Marine years!

I'm going to be joining 
Share Your Cup and

Wishing you JOY,

Linda

26 comments:

Shelia said...

Hi Linda! Oh, how special to have all of these sweet things of your daddys. How sweet he looks in the photo with his mother and she was a very attractive lady too. The shoes, socks, garters and little blue hat are darling but like you - the tiny little swimsuit is adorable! We had a friend named Connie Mack. I wonder if his name was Conrad? :) Blessings, sweet friend.
Shelia ;)

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

You really are so blessed to have so many family treasures. The little shoes are and the swimsuit are adorable!! Thanks for sharing your pictures and story and Vintage Inspiration Party. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you share every week.

Jane and Chris said...

Oh, you are lucky to have these treasures. They've obviously been cared for with much love.
Jane x

Vicky Hunt said...

How precious to have all of these treasures that belonged to your dad. So sweet. I love that some people take such love and care of special items so they can be passed down. Enjoy walking down memory lane...:) Hugs and blessings!

Cheri said...

You are lucky to have all these sweet items. My dad was born in the hills of W. VA...nine kids in a three room log cabin. No pictures or baby items. Earliest pics I have ever seen were when he was in the Army. That first pic of your grandma looks like Sara, does she take after her?

Melanie said...

That is so cool that you have these things from your dad's childhood. Love the baby shoes and the swimsuit! No one in our family has saved anything like that, unfortunately.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

You have some wonderful family treasures to hand down, Linda. The bathing suit is so much fun! How sad that he lost his mother at such a young age.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Linda,
Sometimes it just feels great to get out our most precious treasures and keepsakes. I love that you have keepsakes of your Dad's childhood. And the photos are priceless. Thanks for sharing.

hugs
Sissie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's so nice to have some things from your parents. My Mother still has her cedar chest. I hope there are some old things in it. I love that precious swim suit. It would be cute framed. Enjoy your evening my friend and Sis, Diane

Chatty Crone said...

I loved all those old things and it was even more special knowing that they were your dads - cute little shoes!!

mrs. c said...

These are wonderful memories and it is terrific that you know so much about your family's history! I thank you for sharing these lovely momentos!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Oh how I loved looking at these things family treasures are something close to my heart

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Great treasures from the past and it is sweet that you are displaying them.
warmly,
deb

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Beautiful Remembrances! Thanks so much for sharing them with us!!

Hugs,
Deb

EM said...

What ha happy, sweet post. I'm smiling from reading it. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the next installment.

Susan said...

What beautiful memories. I have some photos of my Dad & Mom when they were young, but not the collection you have--how lucky for you that these precious articles will be passed down with stories. XOXO

Nellie said...

Great treasure, Linda. Today (Thursday) would be my father's 106th birthday, and I have very few things from his childhood. None, actually, except for one photograph that my mother wisely had restored and copied for us. xo Nellie

My thrift store addiction said...

Love, love, love the family memories, Linda!

Tree Hugger - Suzan said...

Your SWEET Mom!!!
Mine does the same!!! My biggest blog fan and if I post something about family that isn't the way she remembers it - she'll let me know!!
Love all these photos of your Dad and clothing items!! What a precious collection!!
Happy Birthday to your Dad!!! He knows you're thinking about him :-}}

Tuula McPhee said...

Oh Linda... you are so lucky to have such wonderful family treasures. They are truly very special.

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Thanks for sharing your special family photos and treasures with us Linda. I'm in love with those sweet baby shoes. Sweet family mementos, lucky you!

Claudia said...

Your dad clearly adored his mother. Makes me so sad that he lost her at such a young age! Priceless treasures, for sure!

xo
Claudia

Donna Wilkes said...

How special for your family to have preserved so much of your dad's history. I love the red swimsuit!

Have a Daily said...

Linda, how wonderful to have these family treasures! Loved learning about your dad. My dad passed away when I was only 9 months old. The only thing I have is the desk he used and I treasure it dearly! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Such a great post, Linda! Congrats on it being featured over at the Vintage Inspiration Party! Well deserved!!!

Rue said...

I loved this post, Linda. How special that you have all those photos and things that were passed onto you.

xo