Friday, February 27, 2015

Art Project Week 7 & 8

I got behind in my art project, but I've caught up! 
I am going to share both weeks in one post!
February Theme
Layers You Will Love
Week Seven
Art Challenge:  Cover up good stuff
Journal Prompt: Going Undercover
I started the pages with something I love
Paris Eiffel Tower stamped with pink ink
Using oil pastels I made a rainbow design across the page.  
I used Gesso to soften the whole look of the page (layers, I keep saying to myself...layers)
I tried getting some texture by making swirls with an eraser...at this point I'm really loving this page.
BUT....the challenge is to cover it up
I took a paper towel and dripped on lots and lots of watercolors, overlapping and letting them bleed
This reminds me a quilt and thus the 'under cover'
I ripped the paper towel in to many pieces to make a collage on the page.
Being close to Valentine's Day I choose a heart shape over the two page layout
Decoupage heartshape
Added more color to the page and wrote around the edge of the heart in black ink
loving the layers, but not afraid to cover it up
 Challenge completed!

Week Eight
Art Challenge: Repeating Layers
Journal Challenge: It's Worth Repeating

My Mardi Gras inspired colors of purple and green were stamped on the page in a checkerboard fashion using makeup sponges
I love these colors, but again it's all about the layers this month
Using watered down Gesso I covered the page then took thicker Gesso and using a small cup make circle shapes on the page
I wanted to add Gold as the third Mardi Gras color but didn't have any paint, so used some glitter glue which barely showed.  I pulled out a new circle stamp and used a stamp pad in a bronze color.  It got 'muddy' for me and I wasn't thrilled with it but the project goes on.
I used some water colors to soften the page and then a blue acrylic and a large cup to make more circles on the page.  Adding the journal prompt
It's worth repeating!

Even when the pages don't turn out like I hope, I am learning from them.  I'm not afraid to try something new and just keep going.   It has been a  really great challenge.
Thanks for following along.

Linda

22 comments:

20 North Ora said...

Wow! You sure are getting the hang of this! Love how these turned out. Great job!

Judy

Ann Thompson said...

These are both wonderful. I love the idea of the watercolors with the paper towel.
I've been doing the challenge also and I've noticed that I get to a point where my backgrounds look ugly to me but all I have to do is keep going and they turn in to something I love

Vicky Hunt said...

Both pages are great Linda. Don't know which I like better...:) Sadly, I am way behind and don't know that I will ever get caught up, but it's ok! I'm not pressuring myself about it. With work and renovations on the house, I stay busy. Have a lovely weekend my friend.

Hugsm Vicky

ImSoVintage Laura Walker said...

Wow, you are having so much fun and getting really good at it. I'm very impressed, my friend. xo Laura

Cozy Little House said...

I'm glad you're learning and having so much fun with this.
Brenda

Marigene said...

You are just having too much fun with this, Linda! Really neat artwork.
Have a great weekend.

Jo-Anne Meadows said...

Very nice

Donna Wilkes said...

When i complete a page I really do not care for, I will cut or tear it into pieces and rearrange it. Sometimes it works! Loving the layers.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

These are so creative Linda. Love them both, but the heart is my favorite.

Chatty Crone said...

Linda those are really pretty - are you following a book or something?

handmade by amalia said...

Both are great, Linda! This is such a fun project.
Amalia
xo

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

A great project for stimulating the creative gene. :) I like that you just boldly go for it. There really are life lessons in these projects.

Good job Linda!

Tree Hugger - Suzan said...

Loved the heart and all the layers you put on it!! Then the writing to make the shape of the heart!! You are so talented in so many ways Linda!! What fun too!!

Jann Olson said...

Linda, sounds like you have been having such a fun time learning new techniques. I think you are taking on the challenge so well!
hugs,
Jann

My thrift store addiction said...

Linda, your pages are beautiful! I admire your devotion to the art project--great job! Blessings, Cecilia

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Wow Linda I Love yiur ar work both are so nice and look like fun!

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Both look really good,I love watercolors, I'm so far behind, but it wouldn't seem normal if I wasn't!

Diana Wise said...

Hi Linda,
Thewse are so cool! Looks like a lot of time and patience and also lots of fun.

You go girl. Kisses to Charlie!

hugs
Sissie

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment on my post, 57 Shades of Gray~
Hugs,
Deb

bj said...

These are sooo great. So glad you are having a good time with it all.

EM said...

I quite like the second one, Linda. The finished product still has that vibrant Mardi Gras look and feel. Lots of energy!

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

How fun!! So pretty :)