Friday, April 26, 2013

Oh The Places I've Been ~ California

I'm sharing a post from 2011 when I visited my daughter Ashleigh in California
and linking it to  The Places I've Been
@ The Tablescaper
and
A Favorite Thing (I love the Beach)


A DAY AT THE BEACH

No trip to California would be complete without a trip to the beach! 
(warning long post lots of photos)
I am in Northern Calif where the beaches are much different then in the Southern part of the state.
We went to Natural Bridges State Beach in Santa Cruz
This is the only remaining natural bridge
*back in the 1900's 3 arches carved by nature out of a mudstone cliff inspired the naming of Natural Bridges.  The arches were formed millions of years ago when water, silt and clay sediment combined with one-celled marine plants

Wave action against the soft rock formed the bridges and also undercut them eventually wearing them away and leaving only islands.  The outermost arch fell in the early part of the 20th century and the inner arch broke during a storm in 1980
Only the middle arch remains but it is slowly being eroded by the waves
*Information from the State Beach brochure for Natural Bridges
This has become a favorite spot for Pelicans
I had a great time watching them swoop and dive 


I always take a 'foot' photo at the beach
I'm telling you that water was cold!!
Ash enjoyed it also
The other end of the beach has homes perched on the cliffs...we stayed several hours and then went in search of lunch
We went to Zeldas on the Beach at Capitola
Wonderful view from the outdoor restaurant
Mojito anyone?  Yummy! 
I remembered to take a photo half way through my food!  I had a shrimp and crab melt with potato salad... it was very good!
This is the life!
We spent the rest of the afternoon at 
Lighthouse Field

Lighthouse Field State Beach

Also known as Point Santa Cruz, this area forms the northern boundary of Monterey Bay. It is one of the last open headlands in any California urban area. Surfers, tourists, birds – including the rare Black Swift and wintering Monarch butterflies are drawn to this area. Sea lions populate the offshore rocks.
Lighthouse Field State Beach has the distinction of being home to California’s first surfing museum. The Santa Cruz Surfing Museum is in the Mark Abbott Memorial Lighthouse at Lighthouse Point on West Cliff Drive. Overlooking internationally renowned surfing hotspot Steamer Lane, this museum has photographs, surfboards, and other interesting items tracing over 100 years of surfing history in Santa Cruz.
The museum was not open while we were there
but we did see some surfers out in the water
Waiting for that perfect wave
Most of the surfers had wet suits on as that water gets really cold


The view out over the cliffs
The sea lions were really loud!


This was also a dog friendly beach
It was so much fun to watch them run, fetch and dig in the sand.  The owners seem very responsible and most had 'poop' baggies with them


From the beach look towards the lighthouse
Yes, I was here!


The sun was starting to set

We headed home a little sunburned and much more relaxed
 then when we started the day! 

Next....wine country!

Hugs,
Linda




27 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

What a fabulous day trip. Thanks for the Mojito...but it wasn't quite the same without the sounds of the sea.
Looking forward to wine country...should we dress up?
Jane xx

Alycia Nichols said...

Hi, Linda! These are all such great photos!!! I LOVE lighthouses and the ocean is just gorgeous. That natural bridge...I have never seen anything like that. That's really cool. It's too bad that it's eroding. It would be nice if future generations could enjoy it as much as you obviously did.

Sea lions, pelicans....natural beauty I have never witnesses firsthand. That had to be pretty exciting!!!

I have to tell you, though, of all the photos here (including that food that looks EXTRA good since I'm having popcorn for dinner and the mojito since I'm unable to drink these days with my stupid meds), the photo I enjoyed the most was the one of that big ray of sunshine: your beautiful smile. What a fabulous smile!!!!!! Genuine, heartfelt, and infectious!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us and most of all, for sharing your sweet little smile! Have a great weekend!!!

Vicky Hunt said...

What a beautiful beach and a wonderful day! Lunch looked yummy too! The natural stone bridge is just beautiful and the sea lions! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Blessings, Vicky
Life On Willie Mae Lane

20 North Ora said...

Looks like an awesome place to visit. Wish I was on the beach now. It's raining and cool today. Spring oh Spring - wherefore art thou?

Judy

Pondside said...

I would love to visit that part of California - especially when it's raining and chilly up here!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Now, this looks like loads of fun, Linda! I would love to go the beach in N. CA. I have been to San Francisco, but we didn't go further north. I was actually at a convention there. My sister lived there in the 60's.

Hope your daughter is doing better from her accident. It looks like you two had a blast. Wine country, here we come!

XO,

Sheila

Chatty Crone said...

I'm glad to see the photos of your trip! Sure and show that good food after you ate half of it. I hope Ash is okay too. And I will look at the calendar! When is your next trip? I love those beaches. sandie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Linda, I linked up to Claudia's party, but I have already visited. Just hopping by again to give you a hug!

XOXOX,

Sheila :-)

Susan said...

Loved all your photos, Linda. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for all your visits and comments on my blog, too! Susan

Terra said...

I have visited all the places you share here and they are beautiful. That meal and Mojito look tasty.

Jo-Anne Meadows said...

I haven't been to the beach in many years but I do like photos of the beach.........I always like the thought of walking along the beach with my feet in the water.......

Sue said...

We'll be in Monterey in July and may have to check this out. I've never explored Santa Cruz- we always just go down to Big Sur. I love this part of Cali! So glad you enjoyed your trip! :-) Sue

Ann said...

Santa Cruz looks delightful. The Natural Bridge is fascinating. It looks like a heavenly, peaceful (except for the sea lions)place to be. I want to walk in that sand!!!!!

Ann

Debra @ Homespun said...

I enjoyed the trip! :) Such great photos...alot of fun to *WADE* through the post :)

Donna said...

What a great trip, Linda! That natural arch is amazing. Nothing that a day at the beach won't cure! Gotta love the sea lions! Sure wish that dog's were allowed on the beach here in Michigan. I've never been to that town, but I have been to wine country several times and loved it!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing your fun day at the beach - lots of great shots.
Thanks for stopping by and nice comment.
Enjoy your weekend.

Sarah said...

What a beautiful beach! I love walking barefoot in the sand. Looks like you and Ash had a great day doing just that! Thanks for taking us along.......Sarah

Sarah ~ Magnolias Attic said...

What a great trip to the beach! I haven't been to a beach in so long it's pathetic, so I'm glad you shared yours! I've never seen a sea lion except in a zoo or on TV -- I bet they make quite the racket!

Deborah Kay at The Paint Splash said...

We spent time on the coast this January. Such a beautiful place. I love the natural bridges. Blessings, Debbie

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I love these pictures of your visit last year. Both Natural Bridges and Capitola are my old stomping ground. Oh, the stories and fun times we used to have over there back in my high school days and early 20s. It's always so much cooler over there than here in the valley...need to get back. Thanks for sharing Linda.

Kathy Moreland said...

Oh yeah!! Now that is a vacation!! Love the beach. Have all the fun you can!!

Chel C said...

Hi, thanks for taking us along with you. I could almost feel the sun burning down and it was lovely! I love the stone bridge and the fact that the pelicans have now called it home! Thanks for your visit over to my blog and your lovely comments. From your newest follower. Chel X

Claudia said...

Oh how I miss my California beaches! I've visited many of them, both northern and southern. Love the photo of the pelicans and I love, love sea lions!

You're clearly having a great time out there! Thanks so much for joining in this week, my friend.

xo
Claudia

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

What a gorgeous place to visit, especially when you can do it with your daughter!

Patrice said...

Looks like a great trip!

Tree Hugger - Suzan said...

Absolutly beautiful!! I've never been on the west coast or California, Oregan or Washington. Beautiful rocks - not rocks - really humongious boulders.
Would love to see Sea lions in the wild and not in a zoo! Neat! Hope your daughter is doing better. Bet it was difficult to come home!!

The Tablescaper said...

So beautiful. I could sit there for hours.

Thank you so much for sharing at "Oh, the PLACES I've been!"

- The Tablescaper