Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Rain Rain Go Away!

This was our wish on Friday of the WLYS!
Rain Rain Go Away! 
It was our first time having real rain on the trip and I must say it was not fun!

We left home on Thur and drove to 
Mentone, AL
It was a lovely day and we made several stops and even found some great stuff!  I made my first purchase and it was this $1 vase
I've seen these for up to $3 so I was happy!
I bought three things at this stop
This cute little pitcher (copy of a Fiesta piece but still old), McCoy planter and the green vase
I fell head over heels in love with this piece
It was the first day of sales and this lady wasn't budging on her price....I knew if I walked away without it I would be mad at myself
So I didn't!  I paid the most I've ever spent for one item at the WLYS but worth every penny to me! 
I looked it up on Ebay and it was selling for $50 plus shipping...I paid $25....I'm happy! 
Moving on we stopped at several more sales and I must say this year nothing much jumped out at me at most of the tables.  Just junk or stuff I already have....oh my I have so much stuff I'm realizing and so I kept looking but not buying. 
These three items were finally what I purchased
The little Tupperware cookie cutter .25 goes with the mini baker set I have.  The cute mouse mug is a Waechtersbach for my collection and was $2
And I found an orphan!
What a cutie for $1
I think it's time for an Orphan showing soon!
One of my last purchases of the day was this reference book on Milk Glass for $5
The CD (Trisha Yearwood) was $1 at a yard sale at a Church...love those as they have the BEST prices!  So that was it for the day and we headed to our hotel at Fall Creek Falls State Park! 
Such a gorgeous view!  We were really tired as it was hot, sunny and we did lots of walking.  I went to sleep with visions of lots of shopping on Friday....little did I know!  We woke up bright and early and headed out for a good breakfast!  I was hungry and we decided to stop at Cracker Barrel and eat before shopping...drove about 30 miles to Crossroads.  We passed several promising yard sales but said we would hit them on the way back! 
After breakfast we started driving north on 127 and hit traffic and RAIN!  It was awful.  I was driving and I was so antsy to shop but all the sales were closed up due to the rain.  We drove north and out of most of the rain and about an hour later hit one of our favorite spots
The guy that owns this is a hoot!  He travels with his job and buys at auctions and yard sales all year long and brings it back here for the 9 days a year he is open!
Tons of junk and you have to dig but some treasures can be found!
There was a covered area with tables, boxes and boxes of junk....you could dig and dig and whatever you found was $1....
I found this cool jelly jar glass
I don't know anything about it but pretty cool for $1....of course not being a 'clown' fan it will have to go in the Etsy shop!
I also found this cool clock for Mr ALC.... $1
I found one other thing but it is for Sandie so you have to wait to see that!
Mr ALC found several great items but I'm going to do a separate post on his finds!
We always have the best time here!  
It was wet but the rain had stopped while we shopped!  We decided to head back South hoping that some of the sales would be open again after the rain passed through.
Hmmmmmmmm not so much!
We did stop at a few places and I made a couple of purchases for Sandie....
I also got this!
Rusty old garden shears for $1....they look great on my potting bench! 
As we continued South this is what happened
Stomp down rain!  I took this picture off the WLYS Facebook page...I was too upset to even take any photos of the rain.  Most of the yard sales were closed up and the large fields of dealers and yard salers were also closed or the fields were just pure mud!  We kept driving and realized...we were done for 2012!
I must say I was disappointed!  I did find some great stuff but just didn't have the fun I normally do.  I also think I realized that I have so much stuff that buying more unless it is really special just isn't going to happen.  The Mr did much better then I did and I'll share his items with you in my next post!  I'll also share with you what I bought for Sandie, the winner of the 'Let Me Shop For You' giveaway! Oh and I didn't forget Mr Tiger
At a Church yard sale I bought the big truck for $1
and I got the cute matchbox cars 2 for $1 at another place
Of course I had to get the Tony the Tiger one's!

So that's it for this years adventure.  We had already decided to do a shorter trip and I'm glad we did.  I'm not sure we will go again next year.  I think we almost do as well, if not better, just going to a new place and finding thrift shops and flea markets on a get away!  We will see how I feel next year! 

Joining 

Happy Trails,
Linda

30 comments:

the cape on the corner said...

so THAT'S where all the rain's been, lol. it's so sad that you got rained out, but you still managed some good finds. those potting tools will be a great display, and i can see that orphan bird in your cubbies for spring/easter!

Rebecca said...

Wow! You really DID get rained on. I've got MY eyes on that orphan! It fits right into my decor...

I'll look forward to seeing what caught the Mr.'s eye.

Mark said...

"Good Junk Cheap"? That man certainly knows how to woo me!
m.

Into Vintage said...

So sorry to hear about about the rain as I can imagine what a treasure hunt this would be in better weather. Looks like you still found quite a few things and got to go to Crakcer Barrel whcih is my favorite road-trip restaurant!

Chatty Crone said...

You did pick up a lot of nice things - I'm sorry for the rain. I liked the cup with the dogs and ladders. The rusty scissors won't hurt to leave them out. And I like Tony the Tiger items.

Sandie

Cheri said...

Ii am sorry for you that the sale was all rainy but happy for me because we could not go and so now after reading your post I am so glad we did not. Where is the guy located that you get things for $1.00? We keep thinking that if we go we would like to hit up areas that are worth the trip. We did go the year we lived in AL going up 59 and did not get anything or see hardly anyone selling...that was a disappointment.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Linda, I'm so sorry about the rain. It does look like a downpour. I'm glad you did get in one day of shopping. I have that identical vase (the green glass one) in blue. It belonged to my grandmother. I love your little orphan. That's great that you found the Tony Tiger cars for Tiger. After seeing that rain, I feel better about not getting to go. You sound just like me. I used to never leave a junk sale empty-handed, but lately, when I start to buy something, I start wondering where I'm going to keep it, and leave with nothing. laurie

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Oh, no all that rain when you were trying to shop. I have never been to any of that sale. One year I need to try it out.

DogsMom said...

I was thinking that with all the publicity and all the people, who would close up for a little rain? Then I saw the picture.
We had a few of those open sky downpours here in WI as well, but being a die hard thrifter I would have been looking for anyone left open.
Thinking for sure NOW I would get my deal of the day.

It's all about the thrill of the hunt, right?

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh my goodness! I literally makes my stomach churn to hear you wish away rain - - - and with us soooooooooooo desperate for it up here.

How I wish you could have shooed it our way. I can PROMISE you I wouldn't have wished it away.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Sorry it is raining, send it north to Illnois. LOVE the McCoy great purchase! and how handy you are there the first week in Aug to go to the one shop.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Bummer about the rain but I'm glad you did find a few fun things! Loved the saying "stomp down rain"!:@)

Tree Hugger - Suzan said...

Ohhh Linda!! I LOVE your McCoy rose vase!! And your red Waechtersbauch mug!! Such good taste! Sorry it rained on you though!! We need it - they probably needed it too!! Sounds like you had lots of fun!!
One of these days when I retire . . . . .

bj said...

Sorry it rained on your parade...but it looks like you got some awesome treasures anyway. :)
If it would only rain here, I would dance naked in the rain....well, wait a minute, maybe not NAKED...:))

Susan said...

Linda, I love all your finds! But that McCoy rose planter is my favorite!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

My Grandma had a green glass vase just like that. I love the pitcher too!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I love your McCoy planter and don't blame you for splurging on it, you'd sure be regretting it now if you passed it up. Darn rain! Why couldn't it wait until the week was up? Digging through boxes and piles sounds like so much fun to me, especially if everything is only $1. Tiger is sure going to be a happy little guy when he sees what you bought for him.

Jim said...

This was a 'fun' trip! AT least for me to see what ya got! lol
I really like the green-not-Fiesta-creamer and the glass jelly clown drinking glass.
Too bad about the rain though, that was a PAIN!
Glad I dropped by Linda.

Vintage Christine said...

Your lovely McCoy planter is from their Wild Rose Line, mid-century, although my reference book says this planter was made in lavender, yellow, blue & pink, not white. Maybe it's a rarity???? Even though you got rained on, I'm still jealous of you going to WLYS!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

oh...bummer about the rain :(
You did find some nice treasures and that Junk shop looked very interesting!!! Love to dig for treasures!!!
I'm sure Tiger will love his new toys.
Warmly,
deb

Sarah said...

Linda, sorry the rain put a damper on your trip. Not fun. I've been at Round Top in years past when it rained for hours. Not fun when one is in fields. ;-)
Glad you found some things anyway.

Susan said...

Awwww, Linda. Too bad that rain pelted down like that. That was a wet bummer! Well, at least you got a few treasures. I know what you mean about too much stuff.

Linda, thanks for your visits and comments to my blog! Susan

Sharing Shadymont said...

I hate traveling in the rain too! Especially trying to visit yard sales. Bummer! I would like to do the WLYS at least once. We considered it this year, but talked ourselves out of it! Can't wait to see the other goodies you found!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Darn rain!!! It sure can ruin a good junkin' trip. At least you found a few treasures to bring home with you.

oldgreymare said...

When I did this sale years back I stopped here. I remember it quite well. Sorry bout the rain :(
xx
z

zaza said...

Hey Linda! Don't know if you have been following the "travelling Susan apron". Check my blog http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=4564672462045134485#editor/target=post;postID=880270721286014984. It is such a great idea to get to know other bloggers with the same interests.
Wondering if you would like to receive it next?

ImSoVintage said...

What a shame that you hit so much rain. I didn't go this year even though I live right near the 127. Too much junk the last few years. Glad you were able to find a few things.

Bargain Hunting Treasure Seeker said...

Awww...bummer! I'm sorry it rained for you! It looks like you got some fun things despite the weather though!!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I am so sorry it rained on your parade...er, yard sale. What a disappointment! You DID find some great things in spite of the rain. Love the jelly glass, the McCoy planter and Mr. ALC's clock. The toy cars for Tiger are GRRREAT!!!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

So sorry you had so much rain! Bummer! But the whole trip would have been worth it for that fabulous McCoy planter for me! Gorgeous...and a great deal! Hugs...Debbie