Saturday, May 14, 2011

PAULA DEEN & PORK CHOP PINEAPPLE PIE

I am not much for cooking these days. Just the two of us and we don't eat the same things so I usually keep it very simple when I cook.  This recipe looked easy and good!  I wanted to join
for her fun celebrity cook along party!
This month with Paula Deen
I really enjoy Paula and have a two of her cookbooks.  She is so Southern and down home.  I have also read her book
It Ain't All About the Cookin'
It is an amazing story of how she got started selling brown-bag lunches with her two teenage sons and ended up with an amazing career including owning two Restaurants, writing cookbooks and TV shows.  I have an enormous respect for this woman.

The recipe I choose was 
Pork Chop and Pineapple Pie

Servings: 1 pork chop per person
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients

1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce per person
2   canned pineapple slices per person
1   slice green bell pepper per person
1   slice red onion per person
1   boneless pork chop per person
1 tablespoon margarine or butter per person
salt and pepper

Directions

For each serving, lay a pork chop on a large square of heavy-duty aluminum foil.  Top each chop with the onion, green pepper, and pineapple slices.  Drizzle with the teriyaki sauce.  Top with the margarine and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.  Wrap tightly in the foil, rolling ends to completely seal the package.  Freeze or refrigerate.
When ready to eat, place packages directly in coals for 15-20 minutes.  Check to see if the pork chop is cooked through; rewrap and cook a little longer if necessary. 

Now I'm not sure why it has word 'pie' in the recipe but it looks good so here goes
I had regular center cut pork chops and used two, each in it's own packet
I did not have red onion so used some sweet Vidalia onion instead
no green pepper this time
I also did not have Teriyaki sauce so I made a version of my own using soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic powder and brown sugar...it wasn't bad
I also used pineapple tidbits instead of slices.  I added enough to cover the chop, added a couple of tbsps of the terikayi mixture and a pat of butter
These are made to do on your grill but can be baked in your oven for  45 minutes at 400 degrees
Served with rice it was delicious! 
I also had steamed broccoli on the side
I love an easy recipe that can adapt to what is in my kitchen cabinets
I am not good at food photos I've discovered and will try to improve next time.  So here is a picture from Paula's website showing how this dish should look
OK so maybe I see a little bit why they call it a pie??  

I hope you will stop by and visit Lynn and see all the fun recipes from the wonderful and talented Paula Deen!

Hugs,
Linda

15 comments:

Gina said...

This looks delicious! I'll have to give it a try, thanks for sharing.

Nancy's Notes said...

What a scrumptious looking recipe Linda! That's one for my little box of greats!! Thank you for sharing!

Hugs to that little one Grandma!

Nancy

Patti said...

I am not much for cooking these days either. Now you have to understand what I mean by that. I have a husband and 2 young adult children (19 and 21) still in my home. My daughter had been asking for a couple years to take over the cooking duties in the family. I kept telling her "no." I insisted I liked cooking.

Well, last April, I gave in to her requests and turned over all the cooking duties in our family to her...meal planning, grocery shopping, cooking. She loves it! And we eat VERY well. She is a far better cook than I ever have been.

Well, here's the funny thing. She will be going on a trip in June (after I return from mine), and I will have to cook. I am dreading that...I guess I don't like cooking as much as I thought I did.

How's Tiger doing? Have you seen him lately?

Love,
Patti

Babs said...

Gosh that looks really good. I'll have to try that recipe and make it in the oven.I also looked at your post with the flowers on your deck. I haven't tried zinnias in a long time. I may get some for our deck since it's hot and sunny. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment.
Babs

Ames said...

That looks yummy Linda. I love Paula. I may just have to make this. We've actually eaten at her restaurant and her brother's too. And we took the Paula Dean Tour in Savannah. It was fun!~Ames

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

This looks like a great dinner Linda! I saw her make these on the show one day! I love that you improvised and used what you had. Might give this a try the next time I fire up the grill, they always put pork loin on sale around here. Thanks so much for joining in:@)

Ann in the UP said...

I really love that you could change almost everything except the pork chop and still get a delicious result. Funny and good.

Diann said...

Oh, this sounds yummy. Like a stir fry but, in the oven. I'll give this one a try!

Susan said...

Hi Linda...Thanks for sharing the recipe. I like Paula Deen, too. She's sooo cute and pretty, too, don't you think? Take care. Susan

Chatty Crone said...

Hey you - you cooked! It looked delish too.

Foley said...

What's there NOT to like about this dish...looks fantastic!

Kathleen said...

I wondered why they called it pie too!
It is one of her more healthier recipes! No stick of buttah!

Suzanne said...

Linda, I love this recipe. I'm so-so about pork chops but my husband is crazy about them. He's your newest admirer:)
Stop by and shoot me your address...you won one of my LATE giveaways:)
XOXOXO
Suzanne

Shellbelle said...

Oh, I'm glad I didn't miss this! I've been down with a severely sprained ankle and I'm finally catching up a bit. THIS is my favorite kind of recipe for camping and picnicking! I could do these the day before, put them in the freezer and then pack them in the cooler — easy, peasy. I love eatin' good when I'm out enjoying mother nature and this is perfect!!!!!

Thank you SO much, can you tell I'm excited? Now, if my darn foot would get better, I could actually go outside, lol.

Hugs

the cape on the corner said...

no, i still don't see why they call it pie. i think yours looks even better! i definitely want to involve pineapple in my dinners, over chicken or pork chops. i will definitely attempt to make this. super excited!

and yes, i am just now getting to this post in my reader. why do i always have so much catching up to do?