Monday, August 30, 2010

SOME THRIFTY TREASURES FOR TUESDAY

I have a few thrifty finds that I haven't shown you yet, so here they are! 

I found this Blue Ridge Pottery plate at the thrift
It has a chip, but for 35 cents it will look cute on someone's wall
Who doesn't love Pyrex?  
These two bowls were at the thrift and since it was
Sr Day I got 30% off!! 
Love this pattern, Spring Blossom

I have long wished for a piece of 
Pink Milk Glass....finally found one I could afford
Pink Milk Glass is hard to photograph and get the gorgeous soft pink color.  This piece was in a thrift for $2
Check out this pattern
Lots of staining on the inside of this piece
I did some research and found this information

During the 1950s Jeannette introduced Cameo Glassware consisting of “exquisite traditional styling in gleaming milk white,” according to a catalog page published in the Collector’s Encyclopedia of Milk Glass by Bill and Betty Newbound. Competing with many other companies, their bowls, compotes and covered dishes looked similar to those made by Westmoreland and Fenton although Jeanette’s milk glass wares were nowhere near as plentiful in terms of the quantity produced.
Jeanette’s most popular milk glass with collectors is the company’s Shell Pink line. Made in the late 1950s for a short time, this line incorporated many different patterns and mold shapes in pale pink milk glass. While Fenton, Fostoria and Cambridge also had their versions of pink opaque glass, Jeanette’s Shell Pink comes to mind most often when collectors refer to mid-century milk glass with a rose tint.  This is a candy jar missing it's lid but still gorgeous!

I am very happy to have this piece 
I am joining in two fun parties today
Go visit Linda at Coastal Charm
&

Always,
Linda

25 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

More great stuff and I didn't even know there was pink milk glass.

Pondside said...

Who knew there was pink milk glass - you'll be on the hunt for more now!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh, oh, oh! I LOVE pink milk glass, Linda...gorgeous! And you know I love that Blue Ridge plate! That pattern(Is it called Peasant?) always reminds me of my Quimper ware! And for that price, even with a chip, that's a fabulous buy! That stuff can be expensive! Great finds! Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Ninny said...

I have one piece of shell pink and it is gorgeous! It's a covered candy dish, almost egg shaped on delicate legs. I love it!

Liz

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Thanks for the intro to PINK MILK GLASS and I have a story about that pyrex. Mr.CC has had a mixing bowl set in this pattern long before we were married and I can't tell you how many things have been mixed in the but they still look the same as they did 25 years ago!

Blessings,
Linda

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

I've never seen pink milk glass. How beautiful! I don't think it needs a lid. It's great just as it is.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Pink milk glass! How pretty! I've never seen any before!

Katherine

Sarah said...

Linda, I didn't even know there was pink milk glass. Lovely piece! How fun to find the Blue Ridge Pottery plate in a Quimper motif.
Have a great day! ~ Sarah

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You scored again.:) Thanks for posting the info. on pink milk glass. I have a couple of old pyrex dishes in the back of a cabinet - need to get them out.

shannon i olson said...

I am laughing at all us milk glass shoppers on this link party! just a good weekend for it I guess, I haven't seen pink....ohhhh la la

Susan said...

Wow Linda. I never heard of pink "milk" glass. It's very,very pretty. Nice pattern on it, too. Can you put some water with bleach in it on the inside? Maybe the stains will come out. Or you know what? Put some of that stuff that you soak false teeth in. I heard that takes off ALL stains. I don't have false teeth so I can't vouch for it but I remember reading about that. Congratulations! Susan

Betsy said...

Linda, Thank you so much for visiting with me.
I love milk glass, but never had a piece with that gorgeous soft pink. I've been able to get some of those nasty marks out with one of those eraser sponges. Happy hunting and enjoy all those great bargains.

Julie Harward said...

I love the milk glass one...very pretty! :D

Jojo said...

The plate is adorable and you can always use a piece of milk glass. Have a great week!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

I love the acorn pattern on your pink milk glass-enjoy!

My name is PJ. said...

We had Spring Blossom pyrex when I was young. I had no idea there was a name for the pattern!!

Nancy's Notes said...

Linda, I love milk glass and my goodness, I have never seen it in pink! I think that is just the cutest plate, it'll look great anywhere.

Have a happy day!

Nancy

Heidi said...

I love researching my finds - gonna have to look into the Tues Trivia Tie-in...the pink milk glass is so pretty! But you can't be old enough for senior discounts!
:)Heidi

House and Garden Boutique said...

My sister collects the small pyrex bowls with the glass lids......she likes them better than the plastic ones for storing food. Great finds.....hope you are doing well.

Douce France..... said...

Oh! Linda! This is a wonderful piece of Milk glass! Never seen one like this, never pink!
Pink is for you!

Romeo said...

Hi Linda and Charlie!

Linda, "she" did not know nor has "she" ever seen pink milk glass....how beautiful! Charlie and I think it would be even lovelier filled with fresh tunafish or milk.....

Thanks for your recent visit! I always love when the two of you stop by!

Charlie, are you loving the cool mornings?!? Linda does open the window for you doesn't she?!?

Have a great weekend!

Purrs!

Romeo and "her"

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh Linda, I love that B.R. that looks like Quimper. What a deal! Is it going in your Etsy? I'm glad to see that there are others who have never seen pink milk glass. What a beautiful piece that is - so much detail. You find the best "stuff"! laurie

Sue said...

Hi Linda....Queen of Thrifting!!
Love love love the milk glass piece...I have never seen pink milk glass before...I'll buy it from you for $3.00...LOL...just kidding..
So you love Tom as well...how excited to see he's getting his own t.v. show...and I like to post about him every now and then just to keep you ladies visually entertained!

THE OLD GEEZER said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You ~Ron

dogsmom said...

Beautiful pieces you found. Don't you love taking advantage of senior discounts?
I am a few years away but when offered my answer is Yes, please!