Sunday, May 9, 2010

MEMORIES OF ANNE'S MOM

Mother's Day Swap!



I participated in my first swap for Mother's Day and I'm so glad I did.  How else would I have gotten to know such a wonderful person, Cecilia Mary Steblay-Koeman!  She is Anne's Mom  from the blog PHAMILYBLOG and my swap partner.  
 Anne sent me a bio of her Mom and this is what I learned.  Cecilia was born in 1914 and had a rough beginning losing her Dad & older brother in a mining accident in February 1927.  She the lived with her Mother and several sisters until grown.  On Saturday's when her grandfather was off he would turn on the radio and dance with his granddaughters.  Cecilia loved to dance and became a terrific polka dancer.  Anne sent me this prayer card of St. Cecilia the saint for whom her Mother was named.
Cecelia was a great bowler and did everything left handed except write.  She was a very good cook and of Slovenian heritage and Anne sent me several recipes that look so yummy!
Cecelia was also a gardener and I received a packet of seeds Four O'Clocks
They look like lovely flowers and I can't wait to plant them! She also sent me chamomile tea as her mother grew her own flowers and made tea from them. She included some wonder Colorado honey sticks. 


 And this sweet little book about Tea Parties!  Can't wait to read this.
She also sent some French Vanilla coffee one of her Mother's favorites and mine also.  
Cecilia left a trail of tissue wherever she went and so this adorable little mini kleenex holder and matching tea cozie that holds two tea bags was sent to me.  How wonderful to tuck into my purse!  Also a grocery list, notes and some decks of cards as Celeilia loved to play solitaire with her Sister Ang.  They would sit across the table from each playing their own game of solitaire and sipping coffee and talking.   I loved this and can just see them in my minds eye!
There were so many little goodies, coffee magnets, sticky notes,
little frames, hand lotion and a candy bar Cecilia's favorite  Rocky Road....I must admit that is gone... yum! 


Sadly Anne's Mother has passed away which made this wonderful swap even more significant as a way to honor a lovely woman.   I had a wonderful time getting to know Cecelia and also more about Anne.  Her Mom raised a wonderful woman and I am so happy to call her my friend.  I'll close with one thing Cecelia always told her children.. "Whoever told you life was easy lied to you!  Life is hard!  Pray Harder!!"


So Cecelia I'm going to have a bite to eat and a cold beer (your favorite drink) and hope I live to be 87 years young like you did!


Thanks Anne for sharing your wonderful Mother with me.  

Oh, and Happy Mother's Day to my Mom!!  You can read about her at Anne's blog here.


Happy Mother's Day to all!
Linda




21 comments:

CC said...

What a wonderful tribute...I loved the way you presented it. I'll have to run by Anne's blog..she is such a sweetie and it my pleasure to call her friend also. Happy Mothers Day..

Sherry from Alabama said...

What a lovely and appropriate post for this Mother's Day. Hope you can visit my blog today for my special Mother's Day post.

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

Anne - Fiona and Twig said...

What a fantastic tribute to Anne's mom! She sounds like a marvelous woman.

Wishing you a very Happy Mother's Day!

Anne

Annesphamily said...

Linda you did a superb job! I am so grateful you and I were partnered in the Mother's Day Swap! It was more then then I could have imagined! I feel like an old pro now and will always enjoy these lovely memories you sent my way! Happy Mother's Day friend Anne

D said...

Very nice post. Hope you are having a great Mother's Day. I sure am.
I love all your goodies. I want those "coffe" magnets so bad. :)

D

Susan said...

Hi Linda! Congrats on all the goodies! Hope you are having a wonderful day. Sincerely, Susan

Chatty Crone said...

Wow - what a nice idea - to learn about someone else's mother for Mother's Day - hope you had a good one and that you enjoyed the soccer game tonight. . . and a Happy Mother's Day to you too. ♥sandie

Mollye said...

Happy Mother's Day Linda, I loved learning about your mom and Anne's mom too! Thanks for participating, XXMollye

Papertrails by a paper lover said...

Happy Mother's Day! What a sweet partner you had! Enjoyed reading about your swap!

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

What a sweet post you did. I love her words of wisdom. Your sure got a bunch of goodies. I remember my mom growing 4 O'Clocks, and me picking the seeds for her. I haven't seen those in years and year. Happy Mother's Day.

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

Oh, yeah. Happy Soon Birthday. Shoot, 60 ain't nothing. You probably got another 40 or 50 years left in you!

Melinda Cornish said...

what a great lady....I had so much fun with this swap too...I lost my mom, and it gave me a way to celebrate her with my partner....I love the "pray hard" comment...I need to pass that one on...happy Mothers day and come visit if you get a chance.....

My name is PJ. said...

What a great idea for a swap, a lovely tribute and some nice gifts!!

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

ohhh you got some great fun stuff!! what a wonderful tribute the bottle was to anne's mom and what a sweet post you did for her!!

dogsmom said...

Beautifully written, wonderful tribute, and a real inspiration to me for the next swap I am involved in.

Creations By Cindy said...

What a sweet post. Be blessed. Cindy

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Linda...What a wonderful post! so sweet! And I scrolled down to catch up. My 60th is coming in August. lol I have to start thinking of myself as 60 months in advance to handle it! I feel a trip to New Orleans or something coming on! Happy week!...hugs..Debbie

Diann said...

What a fun way to get to know someone! Anne is such a sweet lady and sharing her mom with us was fun!

Joyce said...

What a fun package to receive.
Joyce

Ani said...

What a wonderful treasure trove you received, and what a lovely tribute you gave Cecilia. I smiled all the way through this entry.

Ann said...

You did a spectacular job in your presenting Anne's Mom. The gifts she sent are lovely, the tissues, what a special thing. All of the little treasures are wonderful.
Ann