Monday, April 5, 2010

HAMMERED ALUMINUM







I love the hammered aluminum pieces that were so popular during the 1950's.  I started to see them in Antique/Vintage malls a few years ago and the prices on them were more then I wanted to pay.  I have been lucky to find several pieces at Thrift Shops and use them often. Since I am still 'on the road' I have this one piece that I found at a Goodwill in Houston, TX.
 This piece is not in the best condition, but I love the lid
This looks to be a Rodney Kent piece with a tulip finial
So many of these pieces were not marked and it takes some research to try to find out makers.  I love the look of these pieces and the different designs on them.  I will do another post soon showing you more of my collection.
Today's 'trivia' information is how to clean these aluminum finds.

As with so many things cleaning is a matter of taste.  These are not expensive items so use your own judgment in cleaning.  Once the patina is gone it takes years to build back up.  That said some folks like the shiny look that can be brought back with some work.
  1. Wash your pieces by hand using warm water and mild dish soap
  2. Shine the surface of the aluminum with a steel wool pad or a soapy scouring pad like Brillo or SOS
  3. If your pieces has a lot of patina many folks swear by mag wheel polish sold in auto parts store to achieve a bright shiny look. 
I believe this piece was used with a glass bowl inside it for a casserole, but just guessing.
So for $1.99 this was a great find

Now be sure to go and visit
TROY for Tuesday Trivia Tie-In
DIANE  for 2nd Time Around and
LINDA for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

I can't wait to get home tomorrow!!

Always,
Linda

20 comments:

Dawn said...

What a pretty piece Linda. I love the tulips on the lid too! I'm not familiar with these hammered aluminum pieces so this was treat.
Hugs,
Dawn

Julie Schuler said...

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before. It's very pretty.

Polly said...

Great finds Linda! I have a couple pieces of hammered aluminum that are heirloom pieces from my paternal grandma who I never met, so I always keep them out on display. I just love the floral etching on them!

Take care,

Polly

Bird said...

Linda,

I can't believe that such a great piece was 1.99! :) What a great find!

I just love the lid too! It would look great anywhere!

~~Carol~~ said...

That is a really lovely piece, and the finial really makes it special! I have an old tray that was my Grandma's, so I appreciate the tips on cleaning it!

Ann said...

Yes, that is a great find at a great price! I too collect hammered aluminum and you are right it is hard to find the good pieces anymore, they all end up in antique stores with antique prices.:( I just found a piece this weekend with the original glass insert, it is the first piece I have found with an insert in 4 years! I once saw a beautiful black painted china cabinet without glass and doors with a lovely display of HA and apple green dishes...that is my goal. :)
Enjoy your treasure.

Chatty Crone said...

Pretty piece - good thing you drove and had a car to pack with all your supplies.

Be careful and welcome home.

Love,
sandie

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Thanks for sharing your info. I've had several of these pieces over the years. Have a great day!

Sherrie
A View of My Life
http://splummer-aviewofmylife.blogspot.com/2010/04/tuesday-trivia-tie-in.html

Joyce said...

Welcome back home!
Joyce

Susan said...

Very nice find, Linda. So glad you are enroute home, since that is where you wanted to be. Take care and safe trip. Sincerely, Susan

GWENDOLYN said...

Don't you just love thrift stores? I know I do! One persons junk they donate , truely is another's great treasure find.
Blessings!
Gwen

Diann said...

Hi Linda!

that lid is awesome. It is a great peice. I have a few hammered alumium pieces as well as just aluminum pieces that I have been finding for dect prices.I really m enjoying the look.

Be careful and have a safe trip!

Chickens in the Basement said...

I love those, too. I have a couple of pressed tin trays that I use often. Love your covered pan.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

That's a great find for $1.99! Very pretty with the tulip design, and tulip knob!

Katherine

Troy said...

Hi Linda,

Thanks for joining Tuesday Trivia Tie-in tis week. I know it took an extra effort to join while you were travelling. I bet you drove a car to Texas, but had to rent a truck to go home with all your cool treasures you have been showing.

I love the handle on your dish, any time a piece has extra character it always gets my attention.

Nora Johnson said...

Love those hammered aluminum pieces - & love yr blog!

Thanks for stopping by my Grace Kelly post - and look forward to *seeing* you again for 'L' this Thursday too?!

Have a lovely day!

XOXO LOLA:)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Linda,
What a great piece for $1.99...I luv the hammered aluminum too! Thanks for coming to my PAR-TAY on your way HOME...be careful and have a safe trip:)

Blessings,
Linda

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Linda! I hope you have had a wonderful visit! You are coming home to pollen city! lol I have a couple of these pieces that were my moms! Yours is lovely! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

I love it! The lid is fabulous. I don't have any hammered aluminum pieces. At least I don't think I do. Hubby might. Can you tell that I have too much stuff? Thanks for sharing your latest find. And thanks for visiting my blog & leaving me a comment. Glad to hear you got home safely.
Kim

Linda Paris said...

Hi Linda! I was just googling to find out how to clean an aluminum tray I found and found your blog. Imagine my surprise when I saw these photos! I have this exact piece!
; D
I use mine as a bread basket and put a linen dishtowel in the bottom of it and put the lied on top to keep the bread warm. It's an unusual piece and I love mine. I found 2 aluminum trays at a local flea market recently and they are stunning but little dirty.
thanks for the cleaning tips!