Saturday, April 24, 2010

SUNDAY FAVORITES

I am joining Chari over at HAPPY TO DESIGN for Sunday Favorites.  Everyone is invited to share a favorite post from the past!  This is my first old post and it is the 2nd post I did on this blog posted 9/3/08.   I had one photo and it took me forever to figure out how to put that one on here..  I've come a long way baby!  This post is still one of my favorites.  Thanks for visiting!


BECAUSE IT'S TIME...


Sometimes I get a little nostalgic about things that others might find silly. This might be one of those times. Today I sent my China Cabinet to a new person to love. It has been with me for over 25 years and I've treasured it. One of those "new" pieces of furniture that were so rare in my early married days. Not that I didn't appreciate all the hand me downs but to have something brand new was a big treat. I bought the China Cabinet along with a matching table and chairs and was very proud to host my first family get together with my new furniture. This table saw many a family dinner, homework and projects. The table left me about four years ago when I moved into the duplex. No room for it, but the china cabinet came with me, because as one of my friends said," where will you put all your stuff?"
Over the years the contents of the China cabinet has changed. From it's first years showing off my Noritake China to the more casual displays I've become fond of. It has been the display of my ever changing collecting habits. Pressed glass, Blue Ridge China (such pretty patterns and colors), teapots and tea cups and saucers (OH MY). Even my growing collection of old salt and pepper shakers, pairs and of course the "orphans". In the picture it shows the last of the displays before it moved to a new home. There was just a little bit of everything, one last hurrah so to speak. Teapots, cups, saucers, plates (Blue Ridge and Fiesta) a set of old Pine Cone dishes picked up here and there until I have a set of 6(well almost). Egg coddler's, Milk glass and a cat cookie jar that is just the cutest thing. In the drawer below the display area I kept cloth napkins and napkin holders. On the shelves below, more treasures too numerous to mention. All with a special meaning at one time or another.

I gave the China Cabinet to a young friend of mine. She is so excited and has made a special place for it in her home and can't wait to fill it with her treasures. Time to make her own memories.

Why you ask am I sending such an old and treasured friend on it's way? It is just time I answer.

update: All my 'stuff' found a new home in a beautiful China Cabinet that was Mr ALC's Mothers and it is beautiful!

Be sure to check out the other Sunday Favorites at Happy to Design and it's also the 52nd Sunday so there is a party going on!


 Have a wonderful Sunday!

Linda 

23 comments:

Julie Harward said...

Very sweet...I know, I am still holding onto my ceder chest I bought when I was 17, it cost me 500.00 even then and I still love it. Very good post..my first ones were awful :D

Wanda Lee Of The Plumed Pen said...

HELLO THERE SWEET LADY,


MY THIS IS SUCH A SWEET AND SENTIMENTAL POST!.., IT IS HARD TO LET THINGS THAT 'TUG AT YOUR HEART STRINGS' GO; YET GOOD FOR YOU!..,

HUGS FROM WANDA LEE

Tina said...

It's hard to let go, but sometimes we must. My thoughts are with you.

Susan said...

Oh Linda! That was incredibly kind and sweet of you. My only question is what will you do, now, with all your beautiful treasures? Hmmmmmmm. Can't wait for your answer. Sincerely, Susan

Susan said...

Oh Linda! That was incredibly kind and sweet of you. My only question is what will you do, now, with all your beautiful treasures? Hmmmmmmm. Can't wait for your answer. Sincerely, Susan

Martha said...

I missed this the first time around . . . what a sweet story and even though it is no longer yours it seems as if the piece will be loved as much as you did!

Alas, where did you put your stuff?

My name is PJ. said...

It's so nice to be able to give something to someone who will love it while you're around to see them enjoy it!

I look forward to the day when my children are truly settled enough for me to begin divesting myself of my belongings.

GWENDOLYN said...

It's funny how objects can become so meaningful to us. I can understand not wanting to give up such a beautiful piece. But at least you can visit it at your friend's home.
Blessings
Gwen

Jojo said...

What a wonderful story and from the sounds of it, someone else will be filling the cabinet with wonderful treasures and making new memories.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Linda...how nice of you! Can't wait to see your new one! Scrolled to catch up and loved your N post! lol lol Nothing like showing at the party...alone...maybe next time! Happy week...hugs...Debbie

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Linda,
Congrat's on your Etsy shop!! I'll be keeping an eye on it! I know I'll find a treasure or 2 at some point!
Thanks for the birthday wishes also.
You are a sweetie and that was a sweet story.
Warmly,
Deb :)

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Linda...

Ohhh...what a sweet post, my friend! Your china cabinet really is a beauty and I'm sure that your young friend will cherish it!!! It seems that it was the right time to move on...since you gained yet another beautiful china cabinet from your mother-in-law! My friend, I have 2 china cabinets and both are just flowing over with cherished dishes, etc. But I haven't always had them...one belonged to my late mother-in-law and the other was my dear grandmothers...I just received them both last year! I am sooo enjoying both of these family heirlooms!

Well my friend, I was just elated to have you join in with Sunday Favorites and to help celebrate the "One Year" birthday of my little Sunday meme! This was such a sweet post to share with all of us...thank you, Linda!

Have a super Sunday and best wishes with the gift card giveaway!

Chari @Happy To Design

Chatty Crone said...

It had a lot of memories for you - how come you gave it to a friend - why was it time? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sandie

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

That was such a sweet thing to do.

sissie said...

Oh, I'm so glad that it found a place to call home and one that was your hubs Mom's home. It's hard to part with some things, but then again, we have to move on.

hugs
Sissie

Chickens in the Basement said...

Change is good! By giving the piece to a friend, you make her happy. By having a piece that belonged to someone you care about is a bonus!

I have found that the new pieces I bought when we got married don't mean nearly as much to me as the pieces that came from my grandmother or the ones that I restored.

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

I hope you show the 'new' china cabinet. Or did you already? I know what you mean about getting attached to objects. That's why I drove my last car for 13 years. It broke my heart to trade it for a brand new one. Weird, I know.

mrs. c said...

How generous of you to share your furinture....it will have a new life with a new person.

Anne - Fiona and Twig said...

What a wonderful gesture!
And I'm sure she was positively thrilled to receive such a generous gift. God will bless you with something even more wonderful now. :-)

Hugs,
Anne

santamaker said...

Hey Linda! What a nice post. I have a tough time letting go...but at least you know it's to a good home. Congrats on your new ETsy shop!

Jenny said...

What a sweet post! Sometimes its hard to let some things go, but how generous of you to let someone else make memories with it... good luck on winning the contest!

Together We Save said...

How wonderful of your!! Wonderful post!!

From the Kitchen said...

What a lovely "passing on" of a treasured piece of furniture! Your china cabinet reminds me of my mother's. The very same china cabinet I took my grandmother's tea service from when I hosted a tea for the first of my girlfriends to marry. The downside of the story is that it never crossed my mind to wash the years of accumulated dust from the set. You can imagine what happened when the hot tea was poured into the cups!!!!!

Best,
Bonnie