Saturday, January 9, 2010

SUNDAY SILVER #2 - THRIFT & GIFT

Welcome to Silver Sunday hosted by Gypsy Fish....

Be sure to head over to her blog and look at all the silver loveliness!


Today I am showing some silver that has been thrifted and one piece that was a gift.

 These three silvers were thrift shop finds from my Marathon thrfting the last few weeks...


 The large tray has not been cleaned at all...It was $2.50 on 1/2 price day.  I like the edge detail and think it is a good size for many uses. It has some weight to it but silverplate I'm sure.  It does have markings that say Leonard and E P (electroplate?) marked Italy and some other symbols.  I tried to get a photo of those but they did not come out.



These next two items were only $1 each again at 1/2 price.


The oval tray is Oneida.  The cup is marked Wm Rogers & Bro(?).  Both were very tarnished so I used a little silver polish on them so I could see the details better.  There is still plenty of tarnish, er I mean character left on these pieces. 
A little more detail on the oval tray...
This photo includes the large serving spoon that was a gift from my Stepmother, Gypsy....It is quite lovely.

So many interesting details...flowers and monogramed with an S


It is marked Wm Rogers pat. 1904...is that a pattern number?  I will have to look it up.
This is a highly collectible silverplated floral pattern called Berwick aka Diana. The pattern dates back to 1904 and is a product of the Art Nouveau period. The pattern features flowers, leaves and vines, very ornate. Berwick was made by International Silver and the pieces are marked with the "Eagle Wm. Rogers Star" mark along with "Pat. 1904".
Wow!  Interesting information!  I have several more pieces I inherited when Gypsy passed away and I will have to get them out.

These are my Silver Sunday pieces...
I hope you have enjoyed seeing them.

See you next week!

Linda 

30 comments:

Carolyn said...

Wow! You did get some great bargains on silver!

Carolyn

Tara said...

Next time I'm going with you!!! Super finds my friend!

Lemondrop Marie said...

How lovely! I love the ornate detail of old silver.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
January Charmed bracelet giveaway!

Maureen said...

Very pretty pieces. It's all in the details with silver I think. The spoon is beautiful.

Diann said...

Beautiful and AWESOME prices Linda!! You totally rocked some great thrifting!!

happy Silver Sunday!

Dawn said...

Love what you found out about the spoon. It's so pretty. I only have one piece of silver that I picked up recently.It's really tarnished though so I think I need to polish it up.
Hugs,
Dawn

Kathy said...

Beautiful silver, Linda. What great finds - bargains!

Have a beautiful new week...Kathy

Marsha (Sassy Mini Dolls) said...

Wow, now those are bargains! I really really like the oval tray!!

The large serving spoon is beautiful! I look forward to seeing more of the silver you inherited from Gypsy :)

((Hugs))

Gypsy Fish said...

Wow! I want to shop at yoyr goodwill! Such beautiful pieces, especially that spoon.
See You Next Sunday......
{{gypsy hugs}}
Beth

Gypsy Brocante said...

Where do you shop? I'm coming for the goodies ... oh yeah, you're on the west coast ... I guess you don't have to worry about me showing up soon to grab all those treasures waiting to be had ; )

Great finds!
xo
Jill

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Great deals on the lovely trays! The spoon is very pretty too!

Have a great Silver Sunday!

Hugs,
Julia

Treasia Stepp said...

Loving your silver. I have the same tray as the first one you pictured. Awesome bargains.

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

I love your treasures. They are too beautiful. Don't you just looooove thrifting? Rosie

Sherrie said...

What a beautiful spoon, monogrammed S .... I'm thinking perfect for Sherrie? Good score on the thrift treasures. Thanks for sharing.

Sylvia said...

Nawww, the monogrammed "S" is for Sylvia....haha...love that spoon! Great finds and have a happy silver sunday...

Linda K. said...

Ok, your trays are beautiful and serving spoon is to die for. Love the intricate design.

Linda

Sharlotte said...

Great pieces...exceptional bargains! Thanks for sharing!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Really lovely, Linda. Thanks for sharing! Isn't Silver Sunday fun?
xoxo
Donna

The Lazy Peacock said...

beautiful pieces! i love the monogram serving spoon, it is amazing!

Chatty Crone said...

The pieces you have are beautiful - the work they did years ago - you can find none today like it. Of yeah, because we don't make things here - they are made in China! lol
sandie

Dixie said...

love those silver trays... my secret...

Wrights Silver Polish... the paste... not the liquid in a bottle... super easy!

Sharlotte said...

Hi Linda,
Thanks so much for dropping by to visit. I wanted to let you know that I use Wright's Silver polish on my silver. I get it from our grocery store...it's easy to use and gets great results.
Have a great evening!
Sharlotte

mythoughtsmyvoice said...

The serving spoon is beautiful. I love the details in it -very intricate. It must be hard to maintain the shine of the silver. But I guess it's all worth it with a beauty like this.

I came by way of Pink Saturday and have to say you are one lucky gal. My fave was the candy jar :-)

Mizpah,
Li

Lyneen said...

LOVE THE SPOON... you got some great deals... TFS Happy Silver Sunday!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

OMGosh, what bargains you got! Your silver pieces are beautiful, and I love that spoon your m-i-l gave you. laurie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great deals! I don't have a lot of silver - got rid of most of it many years ago, as I don't like to polish it.

Jenna said...

I LOVE silver! But am sooo nervous when going to make a purchase, Im not sure what to look for, if its bad or good, or Im just being too nervous! I guess it can be like this with a lot of things, like staining!!!

That spoon is lucious!!!

Jenna

GWENDOLYN said...

You got some great bargains. I love a good bargain! I am loving that spoon big time.
Blessings!
Gwen

Audra said...

I have a special place in my heart for tarnished silver. One of the greatest finds at sales is silver for pennies on the dollar.

Great finds, love your blog. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting, so wonderful to "meet" you!

Mimi said...

Your stepmother was very generous giving you that piece of silver. I have to agree, the detail on that serving spoon is gorgeous! I, too, want to go thrifting where you do! You have found really great things. Thanks for sharing!